A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,670
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 114
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Jordy Bag - Square Bottomed Lined Bag  (Read 761197 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , purse , tutorial , jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whereismymind
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2004 06:00:05 AM »

Sheeshoo, that's a really great idea and I probably am going to give it a try. Is it possible for you to get a photo of yours? I'd love to see how it turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2004 07:17:05 AM »

i made one with the handles like that and instead of pulling thru the corner i left a wider seam open in the middle at the top, then i pullled the whole bag thru that, folded the edges in and stitchwitcheried the seam together so i didn't have to do a decorative seam all the way around the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
Y Not Me

I have OCD - Obsessive Crafting Disorder

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2004 11:22:46 AM »

This was absolutely the easiest bag to make.  I just got a machine for my b-day a few weeks ago and I tackled this project (and the machine!) for the first time last night.  I made two last night, brought them to work and already have requests for more!  Thanks so much Jordy!  I'll post pictures soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If she can do it and make millions, then why not me?"
homara
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2004 11:54:46 AM »

just thought i'd share mine as well.  Both of these use sew-in Timtex lining to give them strength and structure.  

When you do this, instead of piecing the lining and outside right sides together, sewing, and then turning the bag right-side out via the hole in the stitching, you sew all parts of the outside and the lining together, fold about 1/4 of the lining down and iron, and then put the lining inside the bag, pin the straps and any closure parts (elastics, ribbons), and then sew the lining and outside around the top (like in jordy's "decorative" step, if that makes sense).  i additionally glued the strap parts that extended past the folds to the Timtex lining for strength.

blue and green floral print with ribbon trim and ribbon closure:
http://www.jaje.org/images/June/bluegreenpursejpg.jpg

blue vinyl with grosgrain ribbon trim and closure.  the picture doesn't do it justice, since you can barely see the vertical stripe cotton shirting that i used as lining.  i also hot glued a piece of plastic to the bottom to reinforce it.
http://www.jaje.org/images/June/bluevinylpinkpurse.jpg

i have the same exact material from the first purse...how ironic!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011 04:06:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: please remove img tags when quoting » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheeshoo
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2004 04:06:50 PM »

Sheeshoo, that's a really great idea and I probably am going to give it a try. Is it possible for you to get a photo of yours? I'd love to see how it turned out.

As you can see below the 2 photos that I used for the iron-on transfer for the sides of the bag are abstract close-ups of lillies. I used black piping in some areas to give it some oomph and an orange that seemed to go with the photo for the lining. I kept the handle real soft and floppy.

http://www.sheeshoo.com/diy/photobag/photobag_1.jpg
http://www.sheeshoo.com/diy/photobag/photobag_2.jpg
http://www.sheeshoo.com/diy/photobag/photobag_3.jpg
http://www.sheeshoo.com/diy/photobag/photobag_4.jpg

I also made myself a pattern, so that I can make more of these. It's a pdf and you are welcome to download and print it if it will be helpful - pattern. The pattern is just for the sides and lining - I figured I could wing it on the handle.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011 04:06:35 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
redhead

"mommy, you have no lips!" jane (3yr old artist)

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2004 06:22:26 PM »

sheeshoo - thanks for the pattern - it will definitely come in handy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallou
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2004 08:48:03 AM »

Sheshoo
What type of material is that?  Does it matter the type of material for iron-ons?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheeshoo
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2004 09:42:14 AM »

What type of material is that?  Does it matter the type of material for iron-ons?

I just used a cheap cotton fabric that I got in the remnant bin. The fabric matters, but really you only have to consider 2 things -
Can the fabric take a high heat iron? You want this answer to be yes.
Is the fabric really textured? You want this answer to be no - if there is to much texture, the transfer may not adhere fully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixelpusher
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2004 12:34:52 PM »

Sheeshoo-
First, I had to comment on your bag.  I absolutely love it. LOVE it.  I love close ups of flowers and took a similar shot myself.   I have some iron on transfers and some photos I really want on fabric.. but always thought that iron ons were inferior to prinable fabric... I have not epxerimented yet though, with either.  Have you experienced any wierdness with iron-ons?  

Second, I need to comment on your name. I used to have a slew of invisible firends (when I was say, 5?) and they were sheeshaas.  They lived in the rainbow painted on my wall. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheeshoo
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2004 01:50:43 PM »

pixelpusher - First, thank you. I'm pretty proud of it, especially since it's like the 2nd or 3rd thing I ever sewed using my machine.

Iron-ons ARE prob inferior, particularly on a t-shirt. For this handbag, I was actually amazed at how crisp the colors came out and since it won't be washed often - I think it'll be okay.

The only weirdness I had ws the fact that it's a little stiff, which is kind of okay - gives the bag some body, but it wrinkled a bit when turning it right-side-out.

And my name, sheeshoo, it was my made-up word for lizards when I was a little girl. I use the name to remind me to continue to imagine and create as an adult. That's funny that your invisible friends had a name so close.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004 10:25:46 AM by sheeshoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 114 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Johnny Wujek Spills Prom Tips and Trends
What To Wear On A Date Versus A Night Out With The Girls
What To Wear On A Date Versus A Night Out With The Girls
The Sheer Trend
Rihanna Goes Monochromatic and Cropped
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...