A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 303,108
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 114
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Jordy Bag - Square Bottomed Lined Bag  (Read 772725 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , purse , tutorial , jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #680 on: March 30, 2005 08:01:52 AM »

LOVE the beads. And love the reddish square in the center. What material is that?
It's a pile of some orange/brown/pink eyelash yarn that I sewed onto a square of maroon cotton. The eyelash yarn is my new favorite thing, I keep putting it on everything.
I made a scarf doing the same thing:http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=29957.msg250500#msg250500
« Reply #681 on: March 30, 2005 10:04:17 AM »

It's gorgeous. I've never heard of eyelash yarn.
« Reply #682 on: March 30, 2005 10:32:43 AM »

It's gorgeous. I've never heard of eyelash yarn.
I just found it at Hobby Lobby while wandering around. It was less than $4 for 50 yards I think, and with all my projects so far I've only used up about half.
« Reply #683 on: April 02, 2005 04:04:13 PM »

Just finished my very first purse =)

First I made the bag, decided it wasn't structured enough so I added the "Kate Spade"-esque stitching around the edges and then decided it needed a way to close and added the ribbon last (after a quick trip to the craft store that was about to close-eek!)

Thanks for the awesome tutorial and all the ideas you guys posted! Couldn't have done it without you!!

Edit:  I also wanted the inside of my strap to match the lining so I cut two 17 x 3 1/4 pieces, one of pineapple and one of red, sewed them on both sides with right sides together, turned it right side out after sewing down both sides, ironed it, and then sewed alone the edges like it suggests in the tutorial (just without any of the folding)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005 04:09:11 PM by aubrigail » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We shall find peace. We shall hear the angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds"
- Chekhov
« Reply #684 on: April 02, 2005 07:20:01 PM »

I spent about a gajillion amount of hours on this. It's my first sewing project ever. It didn't turn out GREAT.. but, I like it.  Cheesy

I don't know anything about interfacing and all of that, so I left that out.. so the bag is flimsy.  Undecided But that's okay.

I used fabric that I got today on a fabric shopping spree at the thrift store. (I swear I got around 30 yards of all these different fun fabrics today for 15 bucks.) The outside is a plain brown, and the flap + lining are a mustard yellow with textured flowers.

I made it messenger style, with a little flap.

And a little pocket for my cell phone.  Smiley
« Reply #685 on: April 03, 2005 10:20:32 AM »

i really like the pineapple one! it's so cute.

here's mine! this is the first time i've sewed anything major... well, i resized a t-shirt once, but that doesn't really count. i think the bag took 2 or 3 hours to finish. the inside looks reddish in the picture, but it's actually kind of pink.

for some reason, i'm now feeling an urge to make a yellow vinyl bag... hehe.  Wink

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011 05:35:03 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ociffer, take me drunk, i'm home.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: April 07, 2005 07:02:42 AM »

blaah i'm so dumb..
I dont understand step 3.. how will i stich the 3 sides together (Huh)
that's the only thing i can get right in my mind..
i'm confused :~
maybe it's because i really don't speak english and didnt get the instructions correctly..
if anyone wants to help me (hehe)
please add me pureglycerine@hotmail.com Smiley

« Reply #687 on: April 07, 2005 03:35:04 PM »

hi. i will try to explain..in step three there are two pieces of fabric good sides together.  you will sew the right side, left side and bottom.  that will give you three completed seams. now it will start to look like a bag with two holes on the bottom.   press the three seams open.  then at the bottom of the seam where there is a square shape cut out, you will take one side seam and have it meet the bottom seam.  once they are together you will sew across( it will be somewhat a diagonal seam ) this will make the bottom corner of your bag.
do the same thing on the other side of the bag.  hope i didn't confuse you even more..

ociffer, take me drunk, i'm home.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #688 on: April 08, 2005 05:15:30 AM »

the two pieces of fabric are the lining and the outside fabric??
sorry. hehe.
ah, one more question: how do i do to make the bag more squared in shape, kinda like a totebag?

thanks mozelng, for helping me, i appreciate it Smiley

« Reply #689 on: April 08, 2005 08:59:22 AM »

hi.  There is a total of four pieces. two fashion fabrics (outer pieces) and two lining pieces.  Assemble the two fashion fabric pieces together, and then the lining fabric pieces together.  There will then be two bags.  Make a strap, following the jordy directions,  put the fashion fabric bag wrong side out, place the straps where they should be, and then place the lining bag inside the fashion fabric bag, with right sides facing each other.  Sew around the top edge,  press the stitching, then pull the bag through the hole (at the bottom of the bag ) that you left open. so now both bags are right sides out. The two bags are now connected to each other at the top. Stitch the hole  closed that you pulled the fabric through. Then just place the lining bag inside the fashion fabric bag.  If I were you I would print out the jordy illustrations, and read these directions, and maybe they will start to make more sense.  Sometimes with sewing, it takes a little extra reading and visualizing for things to make sense...and once you get the idea you wonder how come it was so difficult in the first place!
For your second question, I believe with this particular pattern, if you make the length 2 inches longer than the width for instance, 12"wide x14" long the bag will be more square.  I hope this helps.  good luck
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 114 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stop Skin Damage Before It Surfaces
The Anti-Aging Powerhouse You Need
The Real: Chill Out
Be Beautiful: The Powder Blush You Need
The Lip, Lid, and Cheek Tint Beauty Hack
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Precious Metal Clay
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...