A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 114
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Jordy Bag - Square Bottomed Lined Bag  (Read 734735 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , purse , tutorial , jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pikegami
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2004 06:47:24 PM »

Thanks Miss Mom!
I love the piping in your bag. I want to try making a messenger bag/pouch style with piping.
I did use some stitch witchery stuff when I pressed the strap in on both sides. Mostly I was trying to keep it flat for when I folded it in half again, but it also did a good job of stiffening it up.

I wasn't so sure I understood the "pinching the corners" concept before I started, but once I had it there in my hands in 3-d it made sense.

Another bag I want to to try making is a tote bag with webbing like the one here. http://www.make-it-easy.com/opentot2.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2004 07:27:09 PM »

Thanks jordy, I used this for one of my vinyl bags, and it worked well! I haven't put on a strap yet, I am waiting to buy some webbing, or whatever that seatbelt stuff is called.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2004 07:28:05 PM by Lia » THIS ROCKS   Logged
strangey
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2004 09:30:29 PM »

Jordy, i have been lurking for quite a while, but decided to start posting and i want to tell you THANK YOU!! i used your tutorial as a guideline and have been making purses like a maniac! i was intrigued when i saw your bag on here earlier, then the tutorial was so helpful, i couldn't believe it!

thanks again.

and Lia, i love your vinyl purse! i tried vinyl but it's so slippery it drove me crazy. so i'm sticking with cottons and using interfacing to make it stiffer. i also had success with corduroy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2004 09:39:18 PM »

Lia, those are great looking! Some cool D-rings and some webbing and they will be totally stylin'! How was the vinyl to work with? I've only sewn with vinyl once - it was for a Halloween costume for my son, and I remember fighting with it a bit.

pikegami, I made the piping by with cotton cording as the inside - it's really cheap, like $.29/yd. I've used shoelaces etc. but the round stuff really does look the best. Cut the material you are going to use on the bias (angle) - it will bunch less and be easier to make fit into corners etc, because it will have a little give in it. To sew strips of the fabric together, put the ends of the 2 pieces right sides together at a 90 degree angle to each other, and sew the overlapping part from upper left corner to lower right corner. When you flip the vertical piece backup, you'll have a nice neat piece.  Here's a lame drawing that might help make it clear.

When you do it this way, it makes a neater, cleaner, easier to work with seam. When covering the cording, just use a zipper foot or anything that allows you to get closer to the cording than with the regular foot, and really sew it in there tight. If you don't have a zipper foot, you can get a generic foot at any fabric store, like this one -

they cost about $2.50, and fit any standard sewing machine.

Once you learn to make the piping right, you'll want to do it on everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
Lia

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2004 09:30:15 PM »

Thanks miss mom and strangey!

I have heard a lot of bad things about sewing with vinyl, and its stickyness. I was mainly sewing on the back side, which had a thin knit sort of layer on it, and it was ok.
And even when I did any top stiching, it didn't stick at all! I wasn't sure what anyone was talking about, because I never encountered any of those problems.

The one problem I did have, and it frustrated me IMMENSLY, was tension! I used a heavy duty upolstry thread, as recommend to me at the fabric store, and my tension was horrible, and if i would back stitch it would just sew this huge mess of knots and i was so upset! Luckily, it was all hidden with the lining, but I couldn't get the tension right at all! I even had two expert sewers, my aunt and her sister helping me figure it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pikegami
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2004 05:45:52 AM »

miss mom thank you!!!! That is awesome.
Now I definitely have to go try to use some piping.
(your drawing is not lame! it makes perfect sense.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thejordy

koala bears instead of cockroaches!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2004 09:50:49 AM »

miss_mom awesome bag! i bought a whole boatload of piping and im really excited to try it.

i think the bigger the bag,the weirder it is to make it look nice without having separate sides.. it doesnt hold its shape as well.

i made a couple lunch bags with flaps and such... but they were all flat on the top... i think it would look better more rectangular.

and i wanna sew with vinyl! i bought some, just havent gotten around to using it.

xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingschool.or g - Sewing is Fun!
------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED Jordy Bag Pattern - Now with illustrations: www.jordynnmackenzi e.com
hijole

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2004 12:00:28 PM »

Thank you so much for this tutorial!

I made this bag this morning.  Your instructions were great -- they made the project really easy.

Sorry it's so linty -- the batting from the quilted fabric got everywhere.  That'll teach me to use reclaimed batting.

I added a button and loop for the closure.

My product tester loved it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

whereismymind
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2004 01:36:43 PM »

Jordy, I am yet another person who needs to say thank you for the tutorial!

I had a go at making a square bottomed bag and I'm quite pleased with the results. I even used interfacing for the first time!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gillygilly/lj/040122bag.jpg
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011 04:30:36 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazyferret
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2004 02:00:47 PM »

I also used the tutorial. Thanks a lot Jordy!!! You're my hero!

http://www.geocities.com/evak142/crafts/lesliespurse.jpg
This one is for my niece.
http://www.geocities.com/evak142/crafts/greenpurse.jpg
This is the purse that I talked about in another post. I made it too wide, cause i like long/wide purses and then it would like cave in right in the middle. I put cardboard in the bottom and put the velcro inside for the closure, cause the button closure wasn't enough. I think it worked. Although I still have to test it with all my stuff inside.
http://www.geocities.com/evak142/crafts/lemonpurse2.jpg

Smiley
Katy
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011 04:02:58 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 114 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Muralist Michelle Ortiz
Making a Mural with Michelle Ortiz
Meet Young Manga Artist Lilly Cernak
Manga Artist Lilly Cernak at Work
Meet Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...