A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding Quilt question  (Read 564 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sew-wannabe
« on: September 22, 2009 11:07:03 AM »

I forsee a wedding and or a baby in the near future in my family (not me).  SO I want to make a quilt and maybe pillow shams for the wedding.  What colors should I go with?  I am related to the groom but know nothing about his girlfriend.  The wedding may never happen but I still want to make a quilt and put it away for when it does.  My question is on colors.  Do I stick with neutrals and maybe greens or blues?  Get classical and do all kinds of colors?  I want to make something that will get used not smile say a cheesy 'how nice' and have it stuffed in someone's attic forever.

As for the possible baby (not the aformentioned couple) I have a cross stitched quilt top all pinned and ready to quilt.  Do I have to use a walking foot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG => Country Cluckers
MY WIST => Wish List
Linnybelle
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009 11:53:49 AM »

I have no idea what kind of quilting to use for the cross stitch piece, but I have made a few wedding quilts for some friends.  I made both of them straight up scrap quilts. One was a simple log cabin pattern with a lightening bolt setting and the other was the split nine patch from quiltville.com.  In both cases, I wrote a little note about how the scraps combined to make a beautiful thing, so they could remember the lights and darks in their marriage would do the same thing.

You could do something like that, or if you had a way to find out the colors of the wedding, you could use the direct wedding colors instead.  I have three more wedding quilts to do and I think two of them are going to be scrap quilts and one will still be a scrap one, but it will be controlled for the wedding colors.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
anaximander
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009 01:48:45 PM »

Usually what I do is ask the couple what colours they're doing in their house, and what style it is. An easy question to weave into conversation - "so have you decided what your new place will look like?" etc. That usally offers a very good guideline - the easiest way to make sure it gets used is to keep it in line not necessarily with the wedding colours but what colours they like to live in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplySandy
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009 07:23:52 AM »

You could look at their gift registry to get ideas of what colors they are doing in different rooms of their home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vwbuggirlie
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009 10:40:31 AM »

I've made several wedding quilts and either asked what colors they were decorating or I checked the registry online. For the one I made by checking the registry, the bride asked "how did you know?" about the colors so I told her my secret. (posted it here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=317101.msg3651716#msg3651716)

For some reason, all 4 wedding quilts I made were some shades of blue and green (must be very popular decor colors) but each was a little different - for example, my friend Anna told me she was doing a beachy theme with blues and greens so I stuck with light blues & greens. Another quilt I made (also blue & green), I found a green fabric with maple or oak leaves on it and their invitation featured a similar leaf so I based my other fabrics around what matched with the leaf fabric.

I take a scrap of one of the fabrics I am using and go to a woman that runs a machine embroidery business. I get the couple's names and wedding date embroidered and put it on the back of the quilt. I usually do something like "Anna <3 Jereme 1/17/07". It's another reminder of their special day.

But I LOVE Linnybelle's scrap quilt idea too. I'm sure whatever you make will be loved & cherished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogging about crafting to keep out of (much) trouble: http://craftyjennifer.blogspot.com/
sew-wannabe
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009 11:32:37 AM »

Thanks all.  I really like the embrodery idea.  My neighbor has an embrodry shop so that should work out.

As for asking their wedding colors or registry...that is just it...  they are not engaged yet - I just suspect it will be fairly soon (he is 20 she is 17) after she gets out of high school...I know I know...the age....  I have tried telling him...stupid kids.  Anyway... I wanted to get going on a quilt as I suspect it will take me some time to finish the top and then there is the quilting aspect of it.  I have time now, so my thought were to make say a Queen/king size one and put it away for them when (if) they decide to get engaged/married.  I think a scappy one would be best in a lot of good colors.    They will just be starting out and will not have anything being so young.  Kinda hard to make an heirloom from starting out mismatched household items.

Thanks all you have got me thinking and I think I have to change my block selection to something that will accomidate a lot of different scraps.  I don't have scraps as I am just starting out into quilts but I do have 14 totes full of wonderful large cuts of fabric....5 totes of all wools.  Think that would be too hot...a quilt top made from wool?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG => Country Cluckers
MY WIST => Wish List
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Compact Digital Camera Buying Guide
Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera Review
How to Enhance Photos using the Epson Artisan 810 Printer
Digital Photography Tips
How to Use Reflectors
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...