A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions for an awesome bday cake?? HELP.  (Read 440 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kittymoose
« on: September 22, 2009 09:53:15 AM »

Okay, so my boyfriend is turning 21 in less than a month. I won't be able to get him a super awesome present so I figure I'll bake him a super awesome cake. Except I'm lacking creativity. Maybe you guys could shoot me a few ideas?

Things he likes:
Star Wars
Futurama
Scotch whiskey
The Simpsons
Firearms of various nature
Metal (the genere of music)

If anyone has some creative ideas, please help me out!
THANK YOU Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shatteredkaleidoscope
Amateur Glitter Kid

Go and love some more.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009 05:40:11 PM »

Well, how handy are you with cake decorating supplies? 

If this is new to you, I think I would suggest baking a sheet cake, cutting it into a fun shape and going from there.  I bet it wouldn't be too hard to do the Planet Express Ship or the head of a Simpsons character (like some of the DVD cases).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There is not enough time to do all the nothing we want to do."
-Bill Watterson
gamergirL337
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009 05:45:49 PM »

Whats his favorite characters from the above mentioned shows? (one little tip with that...fry and Homer have almost the exact same shaped eyes and mouths) also if you are going to make an object (like a whiskey bottle) take the bottle, outline it on paper and build it that way (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=317116.0 princessketu did an AMAZING Xbox360 cake that way)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymoose
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009 03:37:40 PM »

Making a Planet Express cake is probably more my skill level. I have no idea whom his "favorite" characters are, I just know he likes the shows in general Cheesy

Any tips for making a flat sheetcake? Mine always have a dome on them, I don't know if they're supposed to be like that and you do something to them? I've made a ton of cakes but I've never made them look like anything in particular. If that makes sense Cheesy

Thanks for the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cuttie_2008
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009 10:05:26 PM »

You can't really keep a cake from doming. I know Wilton makes a core baker thing that you just stick in the middle of a big cake to help it  bake more evenly, but I don't know if it would help with the dome. Your best bet with that is just to chill the cake and cut the top off. Then, you can flip it over if it makes it easier to frost the un-crummy side. =) You can also paint on fondant with a mixture of cocoa powder/alcohol or powdered food coloring/alcohol. Just in case you want more details than you can get with frosting. Wink Good luck, post pics when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my infantile blog! http://juliadawn.blog.com/
myrrhmaid
In an octopus' garden in the shade

Eggceptionally Delicious!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009 05:06:01 PM »

Any tips for making a flat sheetcake? Mine always have a dome on them, I don't know if they're supposed to be like that and you do something to them?

Line your pan with parchment paper. In the center of the paper pointing upwards, insert a metal decorating nail (the kind you make icing roses on), poking it thru the paper. The metal directs the heat & cooks the center more evenly and makes for perfectly flat cakes.  Be sure and grease the nail part before adding your batter or it will stick. Good luck! I use it for all my cakes, 1/2 sheets, rounds and novelty pans included.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009 05:22:40 PM by myrrhmaid » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fiber & dye fanatic. I use wool, silk, pearls, beeswax, feathers in my creations. Let me know if you prefer vegan. I can do! Up/Re/cycled, nature & beauty inspired. Do you make beautiful natural/nature oriented stuff? Brooches, miniatures, useful items & more I would love! Let's do a swap!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Wore It Best: Jennifer Lawrence or Lara Stone In Red Calvin Klein
Reveal of the Santa Claus Makeover
4 Different Ways To Wear Leather Pants
Anne Hathaway Has Wardrobe Malfunction At Les Miserables Premiere
How to Make a Sequined Tie Sweater
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...