A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sticky fat quarters  (Read 950 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craft minded
« on: September 21, 2009 10:15:28 PM »

Some of the sticker residue from some fat quarters I unfolded tonight is not coming off the fabric. Any suggestions on how to get the sticky off?

I don't pre-wash my quilting fabrics, but maybe that's all I need to do. I dunno, though - never had this problem before tonight. They were 0.99 fat quarters on sale at Joann. The fabric isn't the best quality to begin with and picking at the sticky stuff is kind of making the threads pucker so I probably shouldn't even use them at all, but I really like them so I'd like to get them fixed up.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MaMabel
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009 12:16:01 AM »

I've had the same problem with the labels on those 99-cent fat quarters from Joann. FWIW, I usually dampen the sticky area and gently pick at the adhesive (which is probably what you're doing anyway;) ).  I've tried steaming the area too which seems to make it a little easier to remove. I don't know if steaming helps much, but at the least it doesn't seem to hurt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009 09:13:01 AM »

I have heard that something called un-du will help with that and won't leave the grease stains that goo gone does. Apparently it's for sale at Jo-anns, but I'd definitely test on scraps first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vwbuggirlie
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009 09:21:42 AM »

I love un-do but I haven't used it on fabric. I've used it for scrapbooking and to remove stickers from other things (like the front of a picture frame) and it works great for those purposes. You can use it to peel up a sticker you put in the wrong spot on your page and it keeps it sticky so you can put it down in the correct spot! I imagine it would work well on fabric but I agree with anaximander, test it first. It dries quickly so you should be able to tell within a couple minutes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogging about crafting to keep out of (much) trouble: http://craftyjennifer.blogspot.com/
danni42683
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009 01:24:58 PM »

I have never had the problem with fabric for a quilt but my husbands grandma got our daughter several shirts that had a sticker down the front of them, they were on clearance so I am going to assume they had been there for AWHILE! when it came time for me to wash the shirts I pulled the stickers off and there was a HUGE mess left behind, I didn't want to put it in the washer because I figured the lent from the fabric would collect on the glue. I grabbed a cotton ball and the rubbing alcohol and went to work. It got 100% of the sticky off and did not damage the fabric or the design!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BLucy
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009 07:48:32 PM »

I'd try the rubbing alcohol.  It can work wornders on sticky residue on jars; also Sharpie from jars or white boards.  Test one the fabric, though.  I do painfully know it won't take SHarpie out of fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft minded
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009 06:35:42 AM »

I tried the rubbing alcohol because I had it on hand. And I steamed it. It seemed to work okay. Thanks for all the great tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Draw Rin Kagame
How To Draw Tidus From Final Fantasy
How To Draw A Cartoon Monster
How to Draw a Three Eyed Monster
How To Draw Elmo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...