A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poll idea - what size is my item?  (Read 7429 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010 06:20:57 PM »

I love this topic and have searched out and followed every related thread on it, trying to get a really good handle on this.  There are things I see in this swap that I think would take me weeks to make (quilts!!!  I'm friggin' stunned that you can do one in an hour!) and I'm shocked to even see them here.  I guess I count extreme talent into the mix, even if someone very talented did something in an hour that would take me...um...twelve.  Or more.  Quilt.  Woodburned box.  Sweater.  Vase.  Pretty much everything here.  LOL...because they aren't my crafts, and I can't do them at all, really, and if I tried, I'd be in the learning phase.  Cost of materials definitely counts, too.  Something simple, but made with expensive materials, counts high in my opinion.

For my two cents on my own work...Large items are pretty easy for me to decide, because it takes me a good half day of steady work, or several shorter sessions for several days, to get it done.  A small takes me an hour or less, something I make when I'm just kinda, "Oh, I wanna go craft a little something."  Or something I do several of that takes a few hours, then give one as a small.  It's the medium that seems so...invisible to me.  Even money wise, it seems a tiny little window that defines it.  I recently hand painted six cards, which took me about thirty minutes each, but it still seemed a little less than medium to me, so I made a fabric case for them, which took me another hour.  I felt that was a good medium, but timewise it of course became a large.  I'm new to swapping and want to make a good impression, so I know I've been overcrafting a bit.  (Oh, and I've totally been making stupid choices and mistakes on postage.  MAN that has been some high 'tuition' in learning!  LOL!)

I guess I also feel it out energetically, when looking at others' crafts.  If it 'feels' like they put some attention and time in it to make it nice and special *for me*, it feels much more like a large than if I can tell they just rolled it out to be getting it done and use up stash, big or not.  One tiny thing, done with mindful attention to what I like most, means WAY more than a couple of big things that are made because it's easy for the crafter.  I once got a little set of a custom made polymer clay fox and rat that is still the BEST thing I've EVER received as a gift, period, because it was SO custom tailored to my biggest passion.  Smiley  I think the time thinking of what I love, and trying to make something that fits that, counts as part of the crafting time, personally.

It's funny, because I don't know how many times I've seen someone post what they rec'd, and they got some really complex and expensive stuff, but there was one little thing in there that was so tailored to what they love most that they immediately identify it as their favorite, and it almost always is a 'small'.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010 06:40:18 PM »

The last two paragraphs of your post hit home for me and I think you hit the nail on the head.  I've come to find out, after being on Craftster for close to a year now, that it is the effort and the thought that is put into the crafted item, not the size it is.  Not at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010 07:46:34 AM »

it is the effort and the thought that is put into the crafted item, not the size it is.  Not at all.

I totally agree.

And this is why I really don't like the points system.  Cheesy

It's all about doing your very best and making something you think your partner will love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
A2JC4life
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011 12:29:50 PM »

Honestly, as a sender I consider things smaller (most of the time, anyway) than I would probably consider them as a recipient.  All of the items on the first page I would consider larges if they came in my package.  The vase (if I were you and really could make it that quickly; not if I were me!) I would probably consider a medium, as a sender.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011 02:00:50 PM »

Can I ask a question about embroidery? I'm always in agony about how to rate my embroideries (large, medium, small) because although they are often tricky and take me hours and hours to do, they feel so small and insubstantial when you hold the finished product in your hands.

What size would you rate these, for example?

6.5 inches across; took 2 weeks to finish, working every day

This one was 4 inches across, all done in backstitch. It took a long time, but it did only use one stitch and it's a smallish hoop.

I can't remember the exact dimensions, I think it was 7 inches across, more in height obviously. This was an absolute b*gger to do - evil evil satin floss, long and short filler, threaded running stitch that needed to be couched, etc.

I ask because I am doing an embroidery at the moment for the Crafty Detective swap (so I can't show you the actual one), and I'm intending for it to be my large. It's epic, very detailed, and it's taking me forever. Do you think in general it's ok for an embroidery hoop to be a large?

(oh, on a separate note, what size would you say this wreath is? It's a full-size one, a knock off of one that was on my partner's wist [from a previous swap]-

)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011 02:08:24 PM »

I'd say large for all of them. They're all wonderful! (that's not why they're large, but they are wonderful Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011 10:01:20 PM »

From time and quality, I'd definitely put them in the large category.  It's obvious a lot of time and talent went into making them.

(Also, they're amazing!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011 12:49:15 PM »

All large, definitely. I think detailed embroideries (tinted, fill-stitched, complex design, etc.) like that are always super-large, because of the time and skill involved, no matter if they're a tiny size. And I think most Craftsters would appreciate that (though many mere mortals don't 'get' embroidery Cheesy).

And they're beautiful - I love that cat SO MUCH! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011 12:51:12 PM by jemimah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011 07:15:15 AM »

Sometimes I think it can make a difference, too, is how much of a total swap package an item is.  If, for instance, your embroidery is a 2" piece, is it the total package, or is it part of a package with 2 smalls, too (or whatever).  It can "feel" smaller if it's all by itself, I think.  None of the pieces you posted is that small, though (physically).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susanab
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011 08:22:12 AM »

maybe it's because i'm in New York City, but I think every single one of the items posted so far is a large, absolutely, no second thoughts whatsoever. The ideation/creativity and craftsmanship just puts them there for me. It has far less to do with materials cost in these cases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
James Joyce Changed My Life
Head Of CPI Explains Why He Gave Bylines To ABC Producers
Laura Bates on How Sexism Is Still an Everyday Problem
Pulitzer Prizes Awarded To The Guardian, The Washington Post
Why No One Won A Pulitzer For Feature Writing This Year
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...