A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poll idea - what size is my item?  (Read 7207 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2009 12:36:14 PM »

In the swap board, there's a thread going on about points vs sizes for swap guidelines and RedMenance had a suggestion of putting up pics of different projects as examples.

I was thinking maybe a poll - put up a few different projects and ask Craftsters what size (small/med/large) or points (1-3) they are?  (using projects with the creater's permission of course)

Edited to add - Using the Size or points guidelines from Craftster swap FAQs
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009 06:36:46 AM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ellenmarie
I should save that, I might need it soon!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009 12:46:48 PM »

That sounds like a good idea. Especially if you use things within the same category for example...a strung necklace as a small as opposed to some of the woven cuffs and rings that take several hours as a large. Or an easy peasy wallet as opposed to a weekender bag. Does that make sense? Just a thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009 05:09:56 PM »

I think this is brilliant.  There have always been a lot of questions as to what constitutes a large, medium or small item. 

My problem with the current guidelines is the time it takes to make something.  For some people who work very fast at something, it's hard to consider an item to be a large item if it only took you two hours to make it.  For others, the same item might take five hours.

I can't wait to see what comes up here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009 05:29:21 PM »

ok, I guess that means I go first? <gulp> These are not items I've done for swaps, (because I'd feel like I cheated my partner if they get 'voted' smaller than I thought)

Baby sweater - newborn/3month old size, yarn on sale less than $10, no idea how long, but at least 3 hours. Handknit, garter & honeycomb.

Handspun yarn - merino laceweight, about 300yds, no clue how long it took, but MUCH more than 3 hours. The roving (the fiber before spinning) is about 15AUD or about 12USD.

So? Small / medium / large? How many points?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeapFeetFirst

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009 08:41:18 AM »

I am not sure about the sweater since I am new to knitting, but when I spin yarn for a swap I always consider it a large item or 3 points.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009 09:19:44 AM »

I would say that the yarn is definitely a large or 3 points. 

The baby items, with all of the accessories, although the yarn was inexpensive, the item itself is well worth a large or 3 points. 

This is where the gray area come in for me.  Just because you didn't spend a lot of money for supplies does not mean the time spent isn't worth a lot.  It's still a large for both items.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009 09:20:40 AM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009 09:33:59 AM »

Ok, here are a couple of items that I have made. 

A wood box with a woodburned top.  The box is 7 1/2 X 6 X 5, and the lid fits down inside the box.  More than 3 hours, total cost was only less than $5 because I used scraps of wood.

And here's another item.  A turned vase, measures 3 1/4 inches high and about two inches across.  It has a drilled hole with a glass tube for holding water.  Because of my skill level, it only took me an hour to make this.  I had to buy this piece of wood, because it's an exotic wood.  I also had to buy the glass tube.  Total cost was $16.

So how do these measure up for size?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009 09:35:35 AM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009 10:06:57 AM »

Hmm, I think this will always be a tricky question.  Even simple projects can cost alot if quality materials are used.  My suggestion would be to put a price on what it would sell for so that your skill, time, and the cost of materials are considered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009 04:41:52 PM »

this is an awesome idea! i'm one of those ones that when i do partake in a points swap i over craft because i'm just not quite sure. but the idea of a gallery of previous swapped items and their sizes is awesome! and the suggestion of what your craft would sell for is a simple solution. post a pic in the business section and ask!

someone brought up the "some craft fast and some craft slow comment" well i fall into the fast category when it comes to sewing. last weekend i cut and pieced a quilt top in exactly an hour so does that make it a small just because i have the ability to get i completed in a quick fashion? size wise its a little shorter than a twin size (it is meant to drape over my dd's toddler bed) so according to those guidelines its a large. and then there is the cost. i paid about 21.50 for ALL (top, batting and backing) my materials so that puts it into the medium category so which is it? small medium or large

*quilts similar in size and made of the same collection of fabric are selling on etsy for an average of $125

you decide . . .

my personal opinion is large, but as i stated it fits into all the size catagories
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009 05:26:27 PM »

I think the answer here is clearly how much you would be willing to pay for an item, if you were to buy it.

The only problem with this solution is that different people have different ideas about pricing.  Some think it should be by a formula.

I'm old school.  I believe that in economic terms, it should be what the market will bear.  Given that thought and today's economy, any item that is in great demand would be a large, no matter what the material costs and the time to make it.  Everything else would be a small, and there would be nothing in between.

Your quilt should be a large, because it will command a bigger price.

My box should be a large, because it is a custom piece.  The vase should be a large, because of the skill level to make it and the costs involved.  However, I would consider the vase to be a medium, simply because I can knock them out in no time.

It becomes subjective.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Nail-Polish "Cocktails & Coconuts"
How To Fix Dry Mascara
Best Beauty Products For Under $15
Expert Shares Quick Fixes For Common Fashion Emergencies
Forget The Beauty Aisle: Skin Fixes From the Fridge
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...