A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poll idea - what size is my item?  (Read 6984 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RedMenace
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009 09:59:38 AM »

So far I've agreed with everyone's assessment of their own projects... so either the system is working, or I'm just easily persuadable Roll Eyes

Pinokeeo - I mentioned the cost of the supplies for my projects because I was also include the size & time, that way all three ways of defining a project size was included. If someone ONLY goes by supply cost (and I don't think there's too many who do for non-supply items) that info was there with the pic. I wasn't trying to figure out the 'value' of either item, in either case, regardless of what the market value is, it's more than the pure supply cost.
I never understood the "price" option for determining an item's size... is it supposed to be "market value" for the finished item, or the price you paid for supplies? I always interpreted it the first way, but I'm realizing that a lot of people interpret it the second way. In any case, I don't really factor price into crafting for swaps in the same way I don't really factor price into gift giving: There's a limit to how much I'll spend per person, but how much I think someone will enjoy a gift seems a much better indicator. That's not to say that people who use price as a factor are wrong for doing so, it's just not something I do. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009 10:26:51 AM »

I think that price got thrown in there by some jewelry makers who argued (and rightly so) that if you use $60 stones to make earrings, it's not fair to call them "small" items.

Generally, in my opinion, price should be the last thing you consider when judging the size of your items. If we did that, all mine would be smalls, because I usually go from stash. Of course, someone had to pay for that stash somewhere down the line.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009 10:59:56 AM »

I think that price got thrown in there by some jewelry makers who argued (and rightly so) that if you use $60 stones to make earrings, it's not fair to call them "small" items.

Could the FAQ be updated (again, sorry) to clarify if the price is "supply cost" or
"market value of finished item"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009 11:41:58 AM »

Even market value is a very gray area.  Just a quick search of Etsy will show hundreds of similar items at marks of the price spectrum.

Two Etsy examples:

I can duplicate both of these items at a personal cost of approximately $15.  The necklace would take about an hour, the jacket, about 2 - 3 hrs.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=30780228
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16476824

Both items can and HAVE sold for the prices listed by the original artist.
This would make them "insanely large" by the swap standard.
But a recon jacket would probably be considered a med-large, and the necklace a small-medium in current swap standards.

A lot of it has to do with the artist involved as well.  An original Black Apple doll made by Emily Martin is far more desirable than one made by someone like me.

A person who specializes in something can often make it faster and cheaper than a novice - but the finished item is worth much more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
Singalala

Life is too short to wear ugly shoes

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009 01:21:19 AM »

A person who specializes in something can often make it faster and cheaper than a novice - but the finished item is worth much more.

As a very new seamstress I have experience. a simple drawstring bag took me 3 hours!!!! Tongue I guess i am not a natural seamstress....... Undecided And the result is not half as good as an experienced person would make in 5 minutes.....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009 10:37:19 AM by Singalala » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been seriously ill. I will get back to everyone to finish up all swaps and stuff. I am home now.

My wists http://www.wists.com/singalala

Junk jewelry swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322611.0
Ongoing ATC swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322889
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009 08:46:44 AM »

I guess this is the point that I was trying to make to begin with.  Your name goes with it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009 08:47:13 AM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009 08:53:41 AM »

I believe you are correct.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Pinky Yarn
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009 12:15:23 PM »

I just wanted to chime in that I hardly ever consider time when determining swap size. If I make a simple quilt for a swap it's for a random swap where there are no sizes or points. That solves that for me lol. Usually I start a medium and by the time I'm done I realize it's probably more of a large.

On the other end there are also things that take no time at all but you know your partner will love. I usually try to judge by amount of time on those and how many would equal a small. Simple polymer clay and simple earrings, things like that.

I also err on the side of spoiling.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay finally done moving!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." - Ronald Reagan
snazzyjazzy
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009 03:49:08 PM »

For me, I just go with what feels right. I always do more than I think is needed (mostly because I feel like my work is shoddy and crap lol) but I agree its hard to decide. See, if I include a tee, if would cost me at least $18 if I didn't buy it from the op shop, which I normally do because I don't think a tee shirt is a large, but cost wise it would be. Plus, since I'm in NZ, if I spent $10US it would actually be $20NZ for me, so I always get confused if I'm meant to be counting US or NZ dollars?

I also agree with Singalala. I'm very new at sewing, so everything I make takes longer, and normally isn't as well crafted as others.

I think points should be done on actual items than price or time....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

professionalpineapple
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009 11:33:53 AM »

I just wanted to chime in that I hardly ever consider time when determining swap size. If I make a simple quilt for a swap it's for a random swap where there are no sizes or points. That solves that for me lol. Usually I start a medium and by the time I'm done I realize it's probably more of a large.

On the other end there are also things that take no time at all but you know your partner will love. I usually try to judge by amount of time on those and how many would equal a small. Simple polymer clay and simple earrings, things like that.

I also err on the side of spoiling.  Smiley

I do the same thing with smalls. I'm slow, so even smalls take more than an hour, but I go by "How complicated was this?" and "How much effort did I need to put into it?" instead of time or price. My mediums and larges are pretty much the same; medium is something that I could make for myself in about a day (simple skirts, a hat, a purse), and a large is something that I really had to work on for a while. I also tend to make my small and medium items bigger than they should be. :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps!
pinterest|wists
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Ways to Wear the Ruffle Trend Without Looking Too Young
Cheap Ways to Rock Coral For Spring
2013 MTV Movie Awards Style Prediction: Mila Kunis
#MyModamobStyle Featured Reader @ChanelleDotCom
The Best Denim Care Tips to Preserve Your Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...