A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,022
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poll idea - what size is my item?  (Read 8101 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009 05:58:42 PM »

Untouchable Face, Pinokeeo - thanks - I'm never quite sure what handspun yarn is 'worth' for a swap, I usually put it between a medium & large depending how many yards there is.

Pinokeeo - I mentioned the cost of the supplies for my projects because I was also include the size & time, that way all three ways of defining a project size was included. If someone ONLY goes by supply cost (and I don't think there's too many who do for non-supply items) that info was there with the pic. I wasn't trying to figure out the 'value' of either item, in either case, regardless of what the market value is, it's more than the pure supply cost.

And your items are GORGEOUS. I'd say the box is a large (especially once I realized you'd made the box too, I thought at first you'd "just" burned it) and the vase is a medium I think.

atsuko For most of us, I think if 'selling price' is used to decide if a swap item is a small/medium/large, I think almost everything except dishcloths/stuffies-type things would be Really Really Large Cheesy

1boy1girl1kitty Large, and that's a beautiful quilt top!

And please everybody keep in mind that I didn't start this to decide on market value of anything - just a way to see how different people consider different projects by the small/medium/large swap guidelines or by points
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009 08:42:53 PM »

I will be following this thread closely, as this is something I struggle with in every swap I do.  I fall into the same kind of logic that helped 1boy1girl1kitty2 ID her quilt as a small, a medium and a large.  That's exactly what always goes through my head.  (Although in the case of that quilt it's clearly a large to me!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009 08:48:31 PM »

Sorry, ThreadOrYarn.  I didn't mean to imply that it only goes by value or that we should determine price.  Only that it's the only real way to determine size.

I think the only real answer here is to relax, enjoy what we do, and do it to the best of our abilities.  I will only send something that I would be happy to receive.  As for sizes, I just make what I think my partner will like, and try to spoil a little just to be on the safe side.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009 08:49:33 PM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 62 done
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009 09:10:21 PM »

ThreadOrYarn, I think it is a great idea to have pics that suggest small, medium, or large as a guideline, but I think that even if you do you'll see a range for each of these categories.  

I dunno.  I think if everyone evaluated their work fairly that it might work out well to do it by it's selling price.  I for one don't think that 1boy1girl1kitty's lovely quilt is a large--it is an extra large, but we don't have that category.  I made a complicated chain maille necklaces that qualify as a large, but I don't think it would be fair for me to trade that for her quilt.  I think it would be more fair for me to give it a value of $50 and then craft something(s) worth the additional $75.  Whether someone is a fast crafter or not shouldn't have a bearing as long as the item is done well.  I am getting faster in making my jewelry, but the pieces I am making now are much nicer then the ones I was making 10 years ago. Why should something that isn't made as well that took me twice the time to make be worth more?  It's the end product that counts.  

I am guessing that part of the motivation to clarify what a small, medium, or large are is that some people are unhappy with their swap packages. What about having partners send pics of what they were sending before they swapped?  They would also cc the organizer and then if either party were sad they could contact the organizer quietly and he/she could gently encourage the other swapper to send a bit more.  Of course this would take some of the surprise out of swapping, but it might also prevent some broken hearts.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009 06:10:58 AM »

ThreadOrYarn, I think it is a great idea to have pics that suggest small, medium, or large as a guideline, but I think that even if you do you'll see a range for each of these categories.

True - that's kind of the point Cheesy 

I am guessing that part of the motivation to clarify what a small, medium, or large are is that some people are unhappy with their swap packages.

Actually, it's because of this thread discussing points vs size guidelines for swaps. RedMenace had an idea to put up pics as examples of the different size.

It's not (intended to be) about defining market value or selling price of swap items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009 06:30:46 AM »

It isn't about defining market value, it's about using it as a measure stick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 62 done
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009 06:33:11 AM »

It isn't about defining market value, it's about using it as a measure stick.

But the Craftster swap guidelines don't use market value except for the supplies. oops, never mind, I was thinking of the OWS swaps where cost is mentioned for a supply-only package
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009 06:38:24 AM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009 08:14:46 AM »

I'll throw one at you.  Smiley

Timewise: large (just over 3 hours work), sizewise: medium (it's about 8 or 9 inches tall), costwise: small ($2 supplies purchased plus lots of stash). I don't even consider any of that. I look at this item and call it a medium.

I still think it's all about using your best judgement. If you didn't know anything about the item, and were seeing it for the first time, how would you rate it? That's how I try to judge mine.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009 09:04:18 AM »

Hows about poppets? I make them all of the time, when I first started out they would take me at least a good 6 hours... Now I can crank one out in 3-4ish hours... When you first start poppet making it can be kinda expensive buying all of the supplies, but you get a lot of use out of each supply (one metre of fabric can make 6-8 bodies). I think overall a poppet's material cost would be less than $8-10, though depending on your stash. Poppets I have donated to various silent auctions and things have sold between $35-$50.

I did an OWS swap which states that you have to send one medium sized item and I received a poppet. I would not consider a poppet to be a medium sized item when compared to 2 hand knit wash cloths (for example)that someone else received in the swap. And I know that in the poppet community, some people consider 2 baby poppets to equal one regular sized poppet.

Or what about stuffies? I made this little guy using some fun fur I had left over from purse making because I got such a good deal on the fabric (3 metres for $13), this little guy would have used less than a dollars worth of fabric, a couple of dollars worth of stuffing, fabric I got in a swap and safety eyes (so in total $5?), I handmade the pattern, machine and hand sewed him, though mainly by hand, and he probably took me a good 5 hours at least. What gets me though, is that you could go to WalMart or some other big box company and probably buy a similar stuffie for $10-$15.

I would never consider either to be worth a quilt for example, but I would never consider either to be worth 2 knitted washcloths or whatnot... This can get really confusing Huh...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009 09:57:24 AM »

my take on swapping . . . regardless of what is asked for (size of package)

ENJOY the crafting!!!! without thinking of material cost or time frame its completed in or the actual size. make you item with care and love and your partners happiness in mind. you will make a much better product if you are selfless and caring in your crafting. once you are done take a look at your item and decide what category it fits into.

when i make a package i use this as my personal guideline. generally i know what sort of size i'm gearing for when i start but sometimes it turns out larger or smaller than i originally set out to make. for instance the quilt i posted earlier was supposed to be small enough to use in the car seat for a baby . . . well it got a little larger in the making lol

i love to quilt, as i'm sure others love to spin or knit or mold clay. but the tradition of quilting is fellowship. many quilts in history were made by a group of ladies (or men i'm not excluding here) and it was a social event. an afternoon where they socialized or sympathized or comforted or laughed with their neighbors, and went home feeling a little more light hearted. its still should be that way but times have changed, but the thought behind a quilt is the same. so when i make a quilt to swap with someone its made with plenty of laughter and some tears, a little grief, great comfort wrapped with care and received to many hugs. and to me even if the recievee calls it a small it will still exactly the reaction i was hopeing for if it makes my partners day a little brighter

size is just a guideline, craft from your heart and you'll be surprised how 'large' you will feel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vogue Weddings - Artist Happy Menocal
Artist Uses Mouth to Paint
Art of VIBE: How & Nosm Go From Tagging Trains to 4-Story Buildings
Glen Berger Tells The Back Story of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark
Light and Movement Digitally Added to Van Gogh Paintings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...