A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poll idea - what size is my item?  (Read 6990 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2009 12:36:14 PM »

In the swap board, there's a thread going on about points vs sizes for swap guidelines and RedMenance had a suggestion of putting up pics of different projects as examples.

I was thinking maybe a poll - put up a few different projects and ask Craftsters what size (small/med/large) or points (1-3) they are?  (using projects with the creater's permission of course)

Edited to add - Using the Size or points guidelines from Craftster swap FAQs
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009 06:36:46 AM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ellenmarie
I should save that, I might need it soon!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009 12:46:48 PM »

That sounds like a good idea. Especially if you use things within the same category for example...a strung necklace as a small as opposed to some of the woven cuffs and rings that take several hours as a large. Or an easy peasy wallet as opposed to a weekender bag. Does that make sense? Just a thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009 05:09:56 PM »

I think this is brilliant.  There have always been a lot of questions as to what constitutes a large, medium or small item. 

My problem with the current guidelines is the time it takes to make something.  For some people who work very fast at something, it's hard to consider an item to be a large item if it only took you two hours to make it.  For others, the same item might take five hours.

I can't wait to see what comes up here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009 05:29:21 PM »

ok, I guess that means I go first? <gulp> These are not items I've done for swaps, (because I'd feel like I cheated my partner if they get 'voted' smaller than I thought)

Baby sweater - newborn/3month old size, yarn on sale less than $10, no idea how long, but at least 3 hours. Handknit, garter & honeycomb.

Handspun yarn - merino laceweight, about 300yds, no clue how long it took, but MUCH more than 3 hours. The roving (the fiber before spinning) is about 15AUD or about 12USD.

So? Small / medium / large? How many points?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeapFeetFirst

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009 08:41:18 AM »

I am not sure about the sweater since I am new to knitting, but when I spin yarn for a swap I always consider it a large item or 3 points.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009 09:19:44 AM »

I would say that the yarn is definitely a large or 3 points. 

The baby items, with all of the accessories, although the yarn was inexpensive, the item itself is well worth a large or 3 points. 

This is where the gray area come in for me.  Just because you didn't spend a lot of money for supplies does not mean the time spent isn't worth a lot.  It's still a large for both items.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009 09:20:40 AM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009 09:33:59 AM »

Ok, here are a couple of items that I have made. 

A wood box with a woodburned top.  The box is 7 1/2 X 6 X 5, and the lid fits down inside the box.  More than 3 hours, total cost was only less than $5 because I used scraps of wood.

And here's another item.  A turned vase, measures 3 1/4 inches high and about two inches across.  It has a drilled hole with a glass tube for holding water.  Because of my skill level, it only took me an hour to make this.  I had to buy this piece of wood, because it's an exotic wood.  I also had to buy the glass tube.  Total cost was $16.

So how do these measure up for size?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009 09:35:35 AM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009 10:06:57 AM »

Hmm, I think this will always be a tricky question.  Even simple projects can cost alot if quality materials are used.  My suggestion would be to put a price on what it would sell for so that your skill, time, and the cost of materials are considered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009 04:41:52 PM »

this is an awesome idea! i'm one of those ones that when i do partake in a points swap i over craft because i'm just not quite sure. but the idea of a gallery of previous swapped items and their sizes is awesome! and the suggestion of what your craft would sell for is a simple solution. post a pic in the business section and ask!

someone brought up the "some craft fast and some craft slow comment" well i fall into the fast category when it comes to sewing. last weekend i cut and pieced a quilt top in exactly an hour so does that make it a small just because i have the ability to get i completed in a quick fashion? size wise its a little shorter than a twin size (it is meant to drape over my dd's toddler bed) so according to those guidelines its a large. and then there is the cost. i paid about 21.50 for ALL (top, batting and backing) my materials so that puts it into the medium category so which is it? small medium or large

*quilts similar in size and made of the same collection of fabric are selling on etsy for an average of $125

you decide . . .

my personal opinion is large, but as i stated it fits into all the size catagories
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009 05:26:27 PM »

I think the answer here is clearly how much you would be willing to pay for an item, if you were to buy it.

The only problem with this solution is that different people have different ideas about pricing.  Some think it should be by a formula.

I'm old school.  I believe that in economic terms, it should be what the market will bear.  Given that thought and today's economy, any item that is in great demand would be a large, no matter what the material costs and the time to make it.  Everything else would be a small, and there would be nothing in between.

Your quilt should be a large, because it will command a bigger price.

My box should be a large, because it is a custom piece.  The vase should be a large, because of the skill level to make it and the costs involved.  However, I would consider the vase to be a medium, simply because I can knock them out in no time.

It becomes subjective.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009 05:58:42 PM »

Untouchable Face, Pinokeeo - thanks - I'm never quite sure what handspun yarn is 'worth' for a swap, I usually put it between a medium & large depending how many yards there is.

Pinokeeo - I mentioned the cost of the supplies for my projects because I was also include the size & time, that way all three ways of defining a project size was included. If someone ONLY goes by supply cost (and I don't think there's too many who do for non-supply items) that info was there with the pic. I wasn't trying to figure out the 'value' of either item, in either case, regardless of what the market value is, it's more than the pure supply cost.

And your items are GORGEOUS. I'd say the box is a large (especially once I realized you'd made the box too, I thought at first you'd "just" burned it) and the vase is a medium I think.

atsuko For most of us, I think if 'selling price' is used to decide if a swap item is a small/medium/large, I think almost everything except dishcloths/stuffies-type things would be Really Really Large Cheesy

1boy1girl1kitty Large, and that's a beautiful quilt top!

And please everybody keep in mind that I didn't start this to decide on market value of anything - just a way to see how different people consider different projects by the small/medium/large swap guidelines or by points
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KarenLouiseM

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009 08:42:53 PM »

I will be following this thread closely, as this is something I struggle with in every swap I do.  I fall into the same kind of logic that helped 1boy1girl1kitty2 ID her quilt as a small, a medium and a large.  That's exactly what always goes through my head.  (Although in the case of that quilt it's clearly a large to me!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009 08:48:31 PM »

Sorry, ThreadOrYarn.  I didn't mean to imply that it only goes by value or that we should determine price.  Only that it's the only real way to determine size.

I think the only real answer here is to relax, enjoy what we do, and do it to the best of our abilities.  I will only send something that I would be happy to receive.  As for sizes, I just make what I think my partner will like, and try to spoil a little just to be on the safe side.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009 08:49:33 PM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009 09:10:21 PM »

ThreadOrYarn, I think it is a great idea to have pics that suggest small, medium, or large as a guideline, but I think that even if you do you'll see a range for each of these categories.  

I dunno.  I think if everyone evaluated their work fairly that it might work out well to do it by it's selling price.  I for one don't think that 1boy1girl1kitty's lovely quilt is a large--it is an extra large, but we don't have that category.  I made a complicated chain maille necklaces that qualify as a large, but I don't think it would be fair for me to trade that for her quilt.  I think it would be more fair for me to give it a value of $50 and then craft something(s) worth the additional $75.  Whether someone is a fast crafter or not shouldn't have a bearing as long as the item is done well.  I am getting faster in making my jewelry, but the pieces I am making now are much nicer then the ones I was making 10 years ago. Why should something that isn't made as well that took me twice the time to make be worth more?  It's the end product that counts.  

I am guessing that part of the motivation to clarify what a small, medium, or large are is that some people are unhappy with their swap packages. What about having partners send pics of what they were sending before they swapped?  They would also cc the organizer and then if either party were sad they could contact the organizer quietly and he/she could gently encourage the other swapper to send a bit more.  Of course this would take some of the surprise out of swapping, but it might also prevent some broken hearts.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009 06:10:58 AM »

ThreadOrYarn, I think it is a great idea to have pics that suggest small, medium, or large as a guideline, but I think that even if you do you'll see a range for each of these categories.

True - that's kind of the point Cheesy 

I am guessing that part of the motivation to clarify what a small, medium, or large are is that some people are unhappy with their swap packages.

Actually, it's because of this thread discussing points vs size guidelines for swaps. RedMenace had an idea to put up pics as examples of the different size.

It's not (intended to be) about defining market value or selling price of swap items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009 06:30:46 AM »

It isn't about defining market value, it's about using it as a measure stick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009 06:33:11 AM »

It isn't about defining market value, it's about using it as a measure stick.

But the Craftster swap guidelines don't use market value except for the supplies. oops, never mind, I was thinking of the OWS swaps where cost is mentioned for a supply-only package
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009 06:38:24 AM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009 08:14:46 AM »

I'll throw one at you.  Smiley

Timewise: large (just over 3 hours work), sizewise: medium (it's about 8 or 9 inches tall), costwise: small ($2 supplies purchased plus lots of stash). I don't even consider any of that. I look at this item and call it a medium.

I still think it's all about using your best judgement. If you didn't know anything about the item, and were seeing it for the first time, how would you rate it? That's how I try to judge mine.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009 09:04:18 AM »

Hows about poppets? I make them all of the time, when I first started out they would take me at least a good 6 hours... Now I can crank one out in 3-4ish hours... When you first start poppet making it can be kinda expensive buying all of the supplies, but you get a lot of use out of each supply (one metre of fabric can make 6-8 bodies). I think overall a poppet's material cost would be less than $8-10, though depending on your stash. Poppets I have donated to various silent auctions and things have sold between $35-$50.

I did an OWS swap which states that you have to send one medium sized item and I received a poppet. I would not consider a poppet to be a medium sized item when compared to 2 hand knit wash cloths (for example)that someone else received in the swap. And I know that in the poppet community, some people consider 2 baby poppets to equal one regular sized poppet.

Or what about stuffies? I made this little guy using some fun fur I had left over from purse making because I got such a good deal on the fabric (3 metres for $13), this little guy would have used less than a dollars worth of fabric, a couple of dollars worth of stuffing, fabric I got in a swap and safety eyes (so in total $5?), I handmade the pattern, machine and hand sewed him, though mainly by hand, and he probably took me a good 5 hours at least. What gets me though, is that you could go to WalMart or some other big box company and probably buy a similar stuffie for $10-$15.

I would never consider either to be worth a quilt for example, but I would never consider either to be worth 2 knitted washcloths or whatnot... This can get really confusing Huh...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009 09:57:24 AM »

my take on swapping . . . regardless of what is asked for (size of package)

ENJOY the crafting!!!! without thinking of material cost or time frame its completed in or the actual size. make you item with care and love and your partners happiness in mind. you will make a much better product if you are selfless and caring in your crafting. once you are done take a look at your item and decide what category it fits into.

when i make a package i use this as my personal guideline. generally i know what sort of size i'm gearing for when i start but sometimes it turns out larger or smaller than i originally set out to make. for instance the quilt i posted earlier was supposed to be small enough to use in the car seat for a baby . . . well it got a little larger in the making lol

i love to quilt, as i'm sure others love to spin or knit or mold clay. but the tradition of quilting is fellowship. many quilts in history were made by a group of ladies (or men i'm not excluding here) and it was a social event. an afternoon where they socialized or sympathized or comforted or laughed with their neighbors, and went home feeling a little more light hearted. its still should be that way but times have changed, but the thought behind a quilt is the same. so when i make a quilt to swap with someone its made with plenty of laughter and some tears, a little grief, great comfort wrapped with care and received to many hugs. and to me even if the recievee calls it a small it will still exactly the reaction i was hopeing for if it makes my partners day a little brighter

size is just a guideline, craft from your heart and you'll be surprised how 'large' you will feel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
RedMenace
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009 09:59:38 AM »

So far I've agreed with everyone's assessment of their own projects... so either the system is working, or I'm just easily persuadable Roll Eyes

Pinokeeo - I mentioned the cost of the supplies for my projects because I was also include the size & time, that way all three ways of defining a project size was included. If someone ONLY goes by supply cost (and I don't think there's too many who do for non-supply items) that info was there with the pic. I wasn't trying to figure out the 'value' of either item, in either case, regardless of what the market value is, it's more than the pure supply cost.
I never understood the "price" option for determining an item's size... is it supposed to be "market value" for the finished item, or the price you paid for supplies? I always interpreted it the first way, but I'm realizing that a lot of people interpret it the second way. In any case, I don't really factor price into crafting for swaps in the same way I don't really factor price into gift giving: There's a limit to how much I'll spend per person, but how much I think someone will enjoy a gift seems a much better indicator. That's not to say that people who use price as a factor are wrong for doing so, it's just not something I do. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009 10:26:51 AM »

I think that price got thrown in there by some jewelry makers who argued (and rightly so) that if you use $60 stones to make earrings, it's not fair to call them "small" items.

Generally, in my opinion, price should be the last thing you consider when judging the size of your items. If we did that, all mine would be smalls, because I usually go from stash. Of course, someone had to pay for that stash somewhere down the line.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
Pinterest
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009 10:59:56 AM »

I think that price got thrown in there by some jewelry makers who argued (and rightly so) that if you use $60 stones to make earrings, it's not fair to call them "small" items.

Could the FAQ be updated (again, sorry) to clarify if the price is "supply cost" or
"market value of finished item"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009 11:41:58 AM »

Even market value is a very gray area.  Just a quick search of Etsy will show hundreds of similar items at marks of the price spectrum.

Two Etsy examples:

I can duplicate both of these items at a personal cost of approximately $15.  The necklace would take about an hour, the jacket, about 2 - 3 hrs.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=30780228
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16476824

Both items can and HAVE sold for the prices listed by the original artist.
This would make them "insanely large" by the swap standard.
But a recon jacket would probably be considered a med-large, and the necklace a small-medium in current swap standards.

A lot of it has to do with the artist involved as well.  An original Black Apple doll made by Emily Martin is far more desirable than one made by someone like me.

A person who specializes in something can often make it faster and cheaper than a novice - but the finished item is worth much more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
Singalala

Life is too short to wear ugly shoes

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009 01:21:19 AM »

A person who specializes in something can often make it faster and cheaper than a novice - but the finished item is worth much more.

As a very new seamstress I have experience. a simple drawstring bag took me 3 hours!!!! Tongue I guess i am not a natural seamstress....... Undecided And the result is not half as good as an experienced person would make in 5 minutes.....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009 10:37:19 AM by Singalala » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been seriously ill. I will get back to everyone to finish up all swaps and stuff. I am home now.

My wists http://www.wists.com/singalala

Junk jewelry swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322611.0
Ongoing ATC swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322889
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009 08:46:44 AM »

I guess this is the point that I was trying to make to begin with.  Your name goes with it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009 08:47:13 AM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009 08:53:41 AM »

I believe you are correct.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Pinky Yarn
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009 12:15:23 PM »

I just wanted to chime in that I hardly ever consider time when determining swap size. If I make a simple quilt for a swap it's for a random swap where there are no sizes or points. That solves that for me lol. Usually I start a medium and by the time I'm done I realize it's probably more of a large.

On the other end there are also things that take no time at all but you know your partner will love. I usually try to judge by amount of time on those and how many would equal a small. Simple polymer clay and simple earrings, things like that.

I also err on the side of spoiling.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay finally done moving!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." - Ronald Reagan
snazzyjazzy
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009 03:49:08 PM »

For me, I just go with what feels right. I always do more than I think is needed (mostly because I feel like my work is shoddy and crap lol) but I agree its hard to decide. See, if I include a tee, if would cost me at least $18 if I didn't buy it from the op shop, which I normally do because I don't think a tee shirt is a large, but cost wise it would be. Plus, since I'm in NZ, if I spent $10US it would actually be $20NZ for me, so I always get confused if I'm meant to be counting US or NZ dollars?

I also agree with Singalala. I'm very new at sewing, so everything I make takes longer, and normally isn't as well crafted as others.

I think points should be done on actual items than price or time....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

professionalpineapple
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009 11:33:53 AM »

I just wanted to chime in that I hardly ever consider time when determining swap size. If I make a simple quilt for a swap it's for a random swap where there are no sizes or points. That solves that for me lol. Usually I start a medium and by the time I'm done I realize it's probably more of a large.

On the other end there are also things that take no time at all but you know your partner will love. I usually try to judge by amount of time on those and how many would equal a small. Simple polymer clay and simple earrings, things like that.

I also err on the side of spoiling.  Smiley

I do the same thing with smalls. I'm slow, so even smalls take more than an hour, but I go by "How complicated was this?" and "How much effort did I need to put into it?" instead of time or price. My mediums and larges are pretty much the same; medium is something that I could make for myself in about a day (simple skirts, a hat, a purse), and a large is something that I really had to work on for a while. I also tend to make my small and medium items bigger than they should be. :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps!
pinterest|wists
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010 06:20:57 PM »

I love this topic and have searched out and followed every related thread on it, trying to get a really good handle on this.  There are things I see in this swap that I think would take me weeks to make (quilts!!!  I'm friggin' stunned that you can do one in an hour!) and I'm shocked to even see them here.  I guess I count extreme talent into the mix, even if someone very talented did something in an hour that would take me...um...twelve.  Or more.  Quilt.  Woodburned box.  Sweater.  Vase.  Pretty much everything here.  LOL...because they aren't my crafts, and I can't do them at all, really, and if I tried, I'd be in the learning phase.  Cost of materials definitely counts, too.  Something simple, but made with expensive materials, counts high in my opinion.

For my two cents on my own work...Large items are pretty easy for me to decide, because it takes me a good half day of steady work, or several shorter sessions for several days, to get it done.  A small takes me an hour or less, something I make when I'm just kinda, "Oh, I wanna go craft a little something."  Or something I do several of that takes a few hours, then give one as a small.  It's the medium that seems so...invisible to me.  Even money wise, it seems a tiny little window that defines it.  I recently hand painted six cards, which took me about thirty minutes each, but it still seemed a little less than medium to me, so I made a fabric case for them, which took me another hour.  I felt that was a good medium, but timewise it of course became a large.  I'm new to swapping and want to make a good impression, so I know I've been overcrafting a bit.  (Oh, and I've totally been making stupid choices and mistakes on postage.  MAN that has been some high 'tuition' in learning!  LOL!)

I guess I also feel it out energetically, when looking at others' crafts.  If it 'feels' like they put some attention and time in it to make it nice and special *for me*, it feels much more like a large than if I can tell they just rolled it out to be getting it done and use up stash, big or not.  One tiny thing, done with mindful attention to what I like most, means WAY more than a couple of big things that are made because it's easy for the crafter.  I once got a little set of a custom made polymer clay fox and rat that is still the BEST thing I've EVER received as a gift, period, because it was SO custom tailored to my biggest passion.  Smiley  I think the time thinking of what I love, and trying to make something that fits that, counts as part of the crafting time, personally.

It's funny, because I don't know how many times I've seen someone post what they rec'd, and they got some really complex and expensive stuff, but there was one little thing in there that was so tailored to what they love most that they immediately identify it as their favorite, and it almost always is a 'small'.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010 06:40:18 PM »

The last two paragraphs of your post hit home for me and I think you hit the nail on the head.  I've come to find out, after being on Craftster for close to a year now, that it is the effort and the thought that is put into the crafted item, not the size it is.  Not at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010 07:46:34 AM »

it is the effort and the thought that is put into the crafted item, not the size it is.  Not at all.

I totally agree.

And this is why I really don't like the points system.  Cheesy

It's all about doing your very best and making something you think your partner will love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
A2JC4life
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011 12:29:50 PM »

Honestly, as a sender I consider things smaller (most of the time, anyway) than I would probably consider them as a recipient.  All of the items on the first page I would consider larges if they came in my package.  The vase (if I were you and really could make it that quickly; not if I were me!) I would probably consider a medium, as a sender.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011 02:00:50 PM »

Can I ask a question about embroidery? I'm always in agony about how to rate my embroideries (large, medium, small) because although they are often tricky and take me hours and hours to do, they feel so small and insubstantial when you hold the finished product in your hands.

What size would you rate these, for example?

6.5 inches across; took 2 weeks to finish, working every day

This one was 4 inches across, all done in backstitch. It took a long time, but it did only use one stitch and it's a smallish hoop.

I can't remember the exact dimensions, I think it was 7 inches across, more in height obviously. This was an absolute b*gger to do - evil evil satin floss, long and short filler, threaded running stitch that needed to be couched, etc.

I ask because I am doing an embroidery at the moment for the Crafty Detective swap (so I can't show you the actual one), and I'm intending for it to be my large. It's epic, very detailed, and it's taking me forever. Do you think in general it's ok for an embroidery hoop to be a large?

(oh, on a separate note, what size would you say this wreath is? It's a full-size one, a knock off of one that was on my partner's wist [from a previous swap]-

)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011 02:08:24 PM »

I'd say large for all of them. They're all wonderful! (that's not why they're large, but they are wonderful Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011 10:01:20 PM »

From time and quality, I'd definitely put them in the large category.  It's obvious a lot of time and talent went into making them.

(Also, they're amazing!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011 12:49:15 PM »

All large, definitely. I think detailed embroideries (tinted, fill-stitched, complex design, etc.) like that are always super-large, because of the time and skill involved, no matter if they're a tiny size. And I think most Craftsters would appreciate that (though many mere mortals don't 'get' embroidery Cheesy).

And they're beautiful - I love that cat SO MUCH! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011 12:51:12 PM by jemimah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011 07:15:15 AM »

Sometimes I think it can make a difference, too, is how much of a total swap package an item is.  If, for instance, your embroidery is a 2" piece, is it the total package, or is it part of a package with 2 smalls, too (or whatever).  It can "feel" smaller if it's all by itself, I think.  None of the pieces you posted is that small, though (physically).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susanab

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011 08:22:12 AM »

maybe it's because i'm in New York City, but I think every single one of the items posted so far is a large, absolutely, no second thoughts whatsoever. The ideation/creativity and craftsmanship just puts them there for me. It has far less to do with materials cost in these cases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.co m
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011 05:29:42 PM »

Oh wow - love all the embroidered items.  I definitely would consider those larges.

I am conflicted about the points system - I always have a hard time figuring out what size my items are too.  Especially as everyone of different skill levels will take differing amounts of time to do things.  Now I figure I can't go wrong if I overcraft :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
jessicachantel
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011 02:59:59 PM »

That's what I do too, I just overcraft! I know it may lead to an unequal swap but I enjoy  the crafting more than the receiving in the long run!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Quilt Journal
Homemade Slime & Other Fun Indoor Activities For Your Kids This Summer
NASA Comes to Airstream
Amy_Vignette
Airstream: Maintaining a Legacy in Jackson Center, Ohio
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...