A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My New Craft Room (picture heavy)  (Read 14005 times)
Tags for this thread: craftroom , craft_room  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DeannaLynn06

Cup o Noodles it is, crafting costs too much!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 21, 2009 10:04:20 AM »

So I had an awesome craft room in the house that we were renting, but we bought a house recently and I got to start fresh and really do what I want with the room.

Naturally I chose the largest of the two rooms and started to get to work. The carpets were blue and new flooring is not in our budget right now so I worked with them instead of against them. There was great space and lighting in this room, also a decent closet.

Before pics:

We painted the walls light blue to help tone down the dark blue carpet and the white shelving I wanted. With that I decided to go with a blue and green polka dot look for the whole room.

We put up shelving and my husband made an awesome desk for me. On the back wall the desk portion is just another shelf, but on the computer side of the room we used some Melamine and stair spindles to make the table. On the sewing machine side we used some Cubes that I had bought at Target a while back as the base to the Melamine.

I filled the shelves on the back wall with various baskets and boxes I got at Ikea and the Dollar Tree. Most of the baskets and boxes are empty right now, but I'm sure I will fill them soon. I also put all my scrapbooking paper on the shelves with hopes of actually using it. I got some great spice jars from Ikea to organize all my buttons by color! I also got some ribbon stackers from Michael's to organize my ribbon.

My husband put up some pegboard for me, that we spray painted green. This is mostly empty right now but I plan to go through more of my scrapbooking stuff to put up here. I have lots of pegs to work with, so this will be fun.

On the sewing machine side we also hung some pegboard for my rulers and other sewing notions I use. I bought the thread spool holders and hung those up for my ever growing thread collection. There is still room for more thread and we planned it so we can hang more later as needed. My friend made me this zipper holder with a cute vinyl rub on. Again there is lots of growth room here!

My husband and I made a cutting table for me, something I have always wanted, but didn't want to pay for the expensive ones the everyone seems to complain about. We used two base cabinets, one with drawers and one with a door and shelve inside. We cut a piece of plywood that is 3' x 4' for the top. I figured this size will work fine for me since I am used to a cutting area of 2' x 4'.  We plan on covering the top of the plywood with some fabric then put some plexiglass on top of that. Inside the drawers I put some sock organizers in for my notions (elastic, twill tape, bias binding and other various things). One of the drawers has all my store bought patterns in it, and they are sorted the same way they do it at the store. I got a stool from Ikea so I can sit at the table and use it as a normal work table if needed.

The other side of my room has the closet which I took the doors off for easier access. I hung a cool polka dot shower curtain I found to keep sun and some dust off all of my fabric which is hidden behind. I used the wire cubes for my fabric and wrapped the fabric around comic book boards. I love being able to see all my fabric at once. I sorted it by content and I will soon sort it by color too. This side of my room also holds my bookshelf and duct table dummy. I also have my scrap box and basket of fabric (only because I don't really know where to put these yet).

Finally I covered my window with a polka dot sheer that I got at Ikea. It lets in tons of light, but still keeps the outside world from peeking in (this window faces the road).

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions to make it better, I welcome them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009 10:17:10 AM »

Dude. Will you come to my house?!?  Grin Grin Grin

That is amazing. In the before pictures the carpet looks very blue, but after you worked with it (as you said), you don't really notice it that much. I loooove the colors. The green pegboard looks bright and clean and organized.

I personally like that it's very clean and organized but functional looking, too. A lot of times I see stuff that you think "That's pretty but not practical; it'll be destroyed in a week of crafting," but this looks amazing!  Shocked

Lurv it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
chibilightangel
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009 10:21:53 AM »

I love it! It's great that you worked with the dark blue carpet and made it part of the room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009 10:23:59 AM »

Too organized for me, but lucky you for having it all organized. I work on too many things at one time I guess.

My only suggestion for you space would be to get a router and round off the hard corners of the plywood cutting table.

Other than that I could use your help over here. Cool GREAT SPACE
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
jndperry
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009 10:24:59 AM »

Shocked

Wow, that is amazing!  I love that you did the color scheme, and also the polka dots.  It is so neat and organized, it should be a breeze to just start any project and know exactly where everything you need is located!

I have a great space like that, but I have yet to get it to where there is a place for everything, and everything in its place!  I aspire to have a space like yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the armchair craftster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009 10:38:48 AM »

my son aged 10 says that looks like the sort of play room for me! too right!  Grin  Grin
is it sad that I gasped with pleasure when I saw your buttons in jars...   Roll Eyes

its a great room!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009 11:28:23 AM by the armchair craftster » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WildeHeart2105
McPhd

Aut vincere aut mori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009 11:03:40 AM »

I also gasped when I saw the buttons in jars lol - I'm so easy to please. The room is stunning though, I'm super jealous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psychology Instructor & Personal Trainer

http://www.EricaDHouse.com
cursive_queen
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009 12:58:46 PM »

Oh I love it!  I want it!  I have part of a coat closet and one wall of the garage for my craft stuff.  I"d love my own room
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009 01:04:42 PM »

i'm on the jealous list too, fantastic job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
Lewre
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009 03:39:36 PM »

I can't tell you how insanely jealous right now of people who get a whole room for crafting! lol. With that being said, this room looks awesome! I like that you worked with the flooring. Great job. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Whiten Teeth in Photoshop
How to Design a Club Flyer - Creating a Logo Part 6/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - 3D Perspective Part 7/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Working with Text Part 9/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Creating Your Own Background Part 11/14
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...