A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 315,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fall 2009 Challenge: Mad Hatter  (Read 4868 times)
Tags for this thread: knitting_challenge_mad_hatter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 21, 2009 09:19:10 AM »

The Theme:

As September comes to a close and the Autumnal Equinox peeks around the corner, those of us in the Midwest United States begin to look ahead to clear, brisk days and downright chilly nights.  (If they haven't already appeared, that is.)  What better time to start thinking about knitting a cozy hat?  And for those of you in perpetually warm climates, remember that plenty of gift-giving holidays are right around the corner, and hats make a great quick knit to fill out your gift list.  Not only that, but don't forget Halloween, and the myriad possibilities knitted hats can offer as costume pieces.

So, you guessed it, our theme this challenge is Mad Hatter: hats, hats, hats.  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to knit a hat.  Yeah, it sounds easy.  Hats, at their most basic, are a very simple and fast thing to knit.  But lets get creative here!  As with many simple things, the possibilities for variety are nearly endless.  I am not limiting this challenge to new designs only, because I do not want to eliminate novice knitters from the running, however if you do use a published pattern for this challenge, consider ramping it up with your own additions of decoration, colorwork, etc.  

Feel free to browse around on Craftster to catch a glimpse of some of the wild and wonderful places Craftsters have gone with hat knitting!  Flying Spaghetti monsters, Nintendo themes, sharks eating heads... it's a crazy world in here, and we want you to be a part of it!  No, your hat doesn't have to be off the wall.  Knit something you or someone you know would wear.  We don't want your wacky creation gathering dust in the bottom of your stash pile once you're done with it.  But don't fear the zany, and please do let your imagination run wild, even if you keep the mad to a minimum in your finished object.

The Format:

When posting your challenge entry, please post it under Knitting Challenge Entries. In the message body, post the title of your entry and clear pictures.

The Deadline:

The crafting period will last from September 21, 2009 until October 31, 2009, with voting from November 1 to November 5.  Entries can be posted any time during the crafting period, but no entries posted after 11:59pm US Central Time on October 31 will be accepted for voting.

The Prizes (the best part!):

I was recently asked to be included in a compilation hat pattern book published for the benefit of Save the Children, a world renowned charity.  I jumped at the opportunity (of course) and am delighted to offer the top three contest entries an ebook copy of A Hat In Time, which winds up not only being a prize for you, but also a donation to Save the Children.  How cool is that?!

Rules:

- Members do not need to have a certain post count or have been a member for so long to participate. Everyone is welcome!
- All items must be handmade by the poster.
- The item must be knitted, but it does not have to be hand-knitted.  Looms and machines qualify.
- Only one entry per poster, though you may incorporate multiple things into your one entry (such as with a set)
- Items can be as big or as small as you want, unless otherwise stated in the theme.
- You must use the theme provided.
- You may use written patterns for this theme if you so choose.  Please provide information in your entry on which pattern you used.
- this is an important one: Make sure all pictures are visible through the time of voting. Pictures will appear in the voting, so please keep an eye on your bandwidth and hyperlinks!  Entries where the photo links do not work when it comes time to vote will not be included.  Craftster offers reliable picture hosting to registered members and also incorporates Photobucket software into the forum code to make Photobucket accounts easier to use. Take advantage of these features!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009 01:52:22 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
krafty_kelly
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009 10:02:48 AM »

Love this idea!

Now to put my thinking hat on.  Hey, maybe thats what I'll knit.  A thinking hat.  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009 10:24:36 AM »

lol  I actually carefully avoided using that phrase in the description.  It was a close thing, though. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Riki
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009 09:14:27 AM »

Yay! Another knitting challenge ...and I just love your ulterior motive! Don't know what I can knit that would be outstanding, I'm kind of a sedate knitter, but I will also "put on my thinking cap" and see what I can come up with!

Good to have you back in action, by the way!

Riki in Bangkok where we do NOT wear hats to keep warm, only to keep the sun off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeydew
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009 12:04:33 AM »

Yeehaw, I love hats Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nven
Also known as Aeramel

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009 01:45:40 PM »

Yay a new knitting challange, and yay hats!  I hope I have time to enter this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps; offering knits for eco baby and mama items.
holistic knitter
Current Swaps:

Peace comes from within

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009 08:50:19 AM »

This sounds fun - now do I have time?HuhHuhUndecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sin esperanza
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009 04:29:19 PM »

oooh i've never knitted a hat.  this could be the start of a beautiful relationship between me and my yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hate handing over money for what I could just as easily do myself, it makes me nervous.  ~Sylvia Plath

My STS 33

Altered Fairy Tales Swap
insane_aktor
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009 02:48:03 AM »

hmmmmm, a hat? I like this idea. . .mhm, know what's gonna be happening here!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish i was a glow worm
A glow worm's never glum
Cause how could you be grumpy
When the sun shines out your bum!

http://wists.com/insane_aktor
Sunshine,

Hey, What a beautiful mess this is.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009 12:23:59 PM »

i've never entered a craftster challenge before, but this sounds like fun!
i wonder what i could knit up....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Save and Share the Actions in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Button Mode in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With Playback Option in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Load and Play the Actions in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With Recording Actions in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...