A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BBW / Plus Size Swap (Sendouts by 12/5)  (Read 21773 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

myklia
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009 06:17:14 PM »

I don't think the requirement was to post in the discussion thread once a week, but like Feast Your Eyes said, just a quick PM once a week letting them know your around.  Some people just aren't chatty and that is fine.  As a former organizer I can tell you that many times (though admittedly not all the time), if someone is not in communication either in the thread or PM, there is a good chance they are flaking.  Unfortunately you are a victim of that by being required to stay in touch in some way even though you are still reliable.

Ok, now for this swap:
If my life ever calms down maybe I can do a future round of this swap, though I'll be hung up on the large because they stress me out (though for this swap, unlike some other swaps, I totally understand the need for a large requirement).  Again, I am not doing this round, but I know some things I would be able to do for when I can join (and I am mentioning this to give ideas) is knit hats, knit armwarmers, bracelets or necklaces to custom fit my partner.  Maybe if I would spend more time with my sewing machine and learn how to use it and learn how to sew, then I could make some cool clothing or something (would like to do this for myself as it is and if I can figure it out for myself I can do it for a partner, I think).

I am really going to have fun stalking the gallery and seeing what all of you make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009 06:56:47 PM »

I agree myklia, I think it's more of a general guideline to keep in touch. I also think it's not as strict as it sounds. If you've been in good contact for 3 weeks, miss one week because you caught the flu or something, but come back and let them know you're ok, not a big deal.

sorry you can't join us! I myself am not that great with a sewing machine, but I'm also planning on knit and crochet wearables or reconstructing ready mades. I hope things lighten up for you and you can join us next round!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009 10:46:52 PM »

woot! Im signed up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ffrogg526
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009 09:24:52 AM »

I soooooo very much want to do this and I'm thrilled that this swap actualy came to be!    i just don't know if I can right now.  Undecided  I'm sending off another swap tomorrow but I have two more to finish crafting for and send off.  We'll how things go and maybe I'll get everything done so I can join closer to the end of sign-ups.

My sewing machine skills are questionable at best but I have made myself a few skirts.  I haven't made a crocheted wearable (like a sweater) for myself yet.  I'm in the process of my first one right now.   Undecided  Maybe next time around???  I'll have to see.  But I'm definitely watching this swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beeker

Meep!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009 09:34:28 AM »

I have a lot of swaps right now, but I should be finished by the time I need to send for this one. I would not be in the sewing realm either. I can embellish with the best of them.

Posting isn't that big of a deal...I was recently in a swap and partner posted maybe twice. It is hard to get excited to craft for your partner if they don't communicate. We can't read your mind. We can only go on what you post...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

RaNdoM SwAp rouND 5 - crAfTinG!!
professionalpineapple
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009 11:36:13 AM »

Woohoo! I'm signed up!

Just my two cents on the checking in business:
I'm really bad at starting conversations online, so any checking in that I would do in the thread would be terribly uninteresting. If you want to know more about your partner, ask! Maybe your partner is just shy, and doesn't want to jump into whatever chit-chat is going on in the thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps!
pinterest|wists
TheSapphireMoon

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009 04:09:56 PM »

Here is what it says, verbatim, from the swap rules on this:

All participants must check in at least once a week, by pm or by posting in this thread, and tell their progress

So......this means sending a quick PM to donniesgirl would be completely acceptable if you are not the chatty type to talk it up in the thread Smiley  No worries, folks!

I am a frequent organizer, and though I state once a week communication is part of the being in the swap...I have amended that need in my most recent swap, the sea life swap, to be a required weekly PM check-in sent out by my co-organizer so I know everyone is there, and this does not hold anyone to having to talk in the thread if one really has nothing to add or join in on a conversation.

donniesgirl, maybe you would like to follow in my footsteps here on this and just send a weekly check-in post out (or have your co-organizer do it, gotta love delegating Smiley ) so the need to 'keep tabs' on the group is filled?

Just a helpful thought from someone in the know Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
donniesgirl
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009 11:42:53 AM »

This has somehow blown up into a really huge deal, and I don't think it is one.  Like I said, this is not the first swap to require periodic check in.

Communication can be on the thread or via PM.  If you haven't organized, you would be surprised at the amount of work that sometimes goes into it.  Having organized several swaps now, it is sometimes very frustrating to try to track people down.  Some people just don't log into Craftster & don't have their PMs forwarded to their e-mail, so they have no idea people are trying to get in touch with them.  Some people don't understand why communicating is being a good partner and helps in the creative process.  I had one person on a swap who expected responses within 24 hours of having sent a PM, while her partner didn't really PM her until 3 weeks in.  I've had a couple who put off sending packages because they couldn't get a hold of their partner & didn't know if their partner would flake.

I think anyone who has been on one of my swaps can vouch that I'm really not anal retentive, but I'm also trying to spare partners & myself some of the negativity that can happen on swaps.  I don't think checking in once a week is a big deal.  If you are 8 days between posts/PMs, I'm not going to put that in your feedback.  If a communication requirement acts as a deterent toward people who are flakey, I don't mind.  

The requirement of certain sizes was created after an interesting point was made on the "Talk About the Swap Process" Board.  A points system alone is not a perfect way to make sure people are getting the equivalent amount of time & care in their packages.  Not that requiring one large and one medium is necessarily perfect, but it's an attempt to even things out.  Three smalls aren't necessarily the same amount of time and cost as a large.  For example, a fabric wristlet, iron on transfer, and scrunchie wouldn't be near the effort or cost of a patchwork circle skirt.  So someone who sends a large might feel like they got the short end of the stick if their package was only made up of small things.  A large isn't meant to be stressful, but to try to make sure packages are comparable sizes.  And there is a nice, long crafting period.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009 11:59:02 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009 12:34:21 PM »

I will second donniesgirl on the organizing headaches as I am doing my first one. One swap I had and my organizer went over and beyond trying to track down my missing partner. Then it happened again in another.  I love my current partner in the music swap, and she isn't chatty, but we'll see. I just need someone on this swap who will communicate with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
TheSapphireMoon

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009 12:40:12 PM »

Hell, I have no issues with the communication requirements, I'm chatting in here and I have yet to even sign up!  LOL!  I totally will be though, as I am really looking forward to making plus size wearables  Grin  Here's to hoping my packages I am sending soon make it speedily to my partners so I can make it in here in time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fresh Fish by Charlene Lanzel
Duende by Charlene Lanzel
An Interview with Stan Sakai
Supervillain Origins: Sandman
Ian Cook Talks About His Creative Process
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...