A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sculpey Swap 'Stache  (Read 1369 times)
Tags for this thread: aquateen_hunger_force , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Thrynity
« on: September 21, 2009 07:21:44 AM »

I recently did the Adult Swim Swap; my partner was moxiepurple. I decided to base all of my crafts on her favorite episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force - "The Shaving" - a Halloween episode complete with a purple Meatwad ("The Incredible Plum"), Frylock in a sailor hat, and a mysterious onion/garlic monster named Willie Nelson. In the beginning of the episode, Frylock offers Meatwad a costume mustache labeled "The Bachelor." I've seen a few mustache necklaces floating around here on Craftster, so I decided to make it, fake packaging and all. This was my first time working with polymer clay in ages (I made a few canes for beads when I was a teen) and I was very satisfied with the results.

I used Sculpey III in black and shaped it into a mustache-y shape before adding a LOT of texture with the multipack of clay tools I picked up. I wish I had better close-up pictures, but "the Bachelor" did not want to be photographed. I baked it with the jump rings in and sealed it with Mod Podge Gloss. Tada! To finish the illusion, I made a mock-up of the original packaging from the episode (using a screen shot and some shoop-de-dooping) and put the necklace on it. Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009 10:47:26 AM »

Too cool!  Grin   I'm sure she was thrilled as well.  Love that mock-up too... great idea.

One tiny suggestion for next time you're making something thin with polymer clay though, and that is not to use Sculpey III (or original Sculpey or flesh-colored SuperSculpey).  Those three brands/lines of polymer clay will be brittle in any relatively thin (not fat and rounded) or projecting areas if stressed after baking, so one of the other brands would be better (Premo, KatoPolyclay, Cernit, FimoClassic and a few other Sculpeys... FimoSoft would prob be fine but is in-between in strength).  If you're interested in reading more about the strength/etc. of various lines of polymer clay and how that's influenced by brand and shape and even length of baking, check here:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Characteristics.htm
....click on the category called Strength--Rigidity, Flexibility

. . .LOT of texture with the multipack of clay tools I picked up. I wish I had better close-up pictures, but "the Bachelor" did not want to be photographed . . .

If the problem was just showing up the texture more (this looks fine though), you can get more visual dimensionality to photograph in an item by having more light coming to the object from one side than the other side, creating deep shadows (light should shine perpendicular to direction of most of the textural elements for best effect).

Show us more!

Diane B.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009 10:49:39 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
strwberesh0rtcke
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009 05:19:46 PM »

Haha, this is hilarious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I REALLY want some funny hoop-framed embroidery! Wanna do a personal swap?
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009 08:28:12 PM »

LOL I LOVE it! The packaging makes it even more cool.  I don't think I would ever take it out of the package, but instead display it all together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
ahhhmike
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009 02:49:44 PM »

Thats is awwweeesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarafpool
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009 11:26:36 PM »

Love! and wisted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thrynity
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009 04:58:28 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, Diane. I'm not exactly a pro at photography or clay, but I do what I can.

I can't believe this got wisted! I had fun making it (and the failed prototype, heh). The silliest crafts are my favorites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ashley Weatherford: August Skin
Faith McGee: Makeup For Last Night
Stephanie Lee: Beauty By Lee
Pamela Lal: PAMELUXE
Katherine Zemla: Manicure Addict
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...