I started with an electric guitar that was in poor shape. I gutted all of the wiring and electronics from it
I thought at first I would use mod podge to cover the fret board with ticket stubs and the body with album art from cd's... then it sat for many months. I was stuck and not sure what to do, plus I didn't have a drill to install the hooks.
Finally, I found some inspiration and did this:
I started by covering the body with an old map of St. Louis City (hometown) using mod podge. Then I painted over that with blue acrylic, using the brush to leave swirly impressions all over. I painted the other part of the body with purple acrylic. Then I used a star shaped hole punch to cut stars out of the leftover pieces of map.
Before adding the stars with modpodge I coated the entire body with acrylic spray sealer. -- i noticed before i took this step that the modpodge turned my paint into a funny color)
I got all the stars on in the pattern i wanted, then coated it with modpodge a few times.
for the fret board, I wasn't happy with the ticket stub look, so I used some scraps of a low immersion dyed fabric. For the very top of the neck, i used the map and then a sharp scraping tool to put the squiggly pattern in it. I modpodged the heck out of it, let it dry overnight and then used the acrylic sealer.
I had a bit of help from my sweetie putting the hooks on.
While it was sitting to dry last night, I thought how neat it would be if I could use the input jack and plug for something. So i made a loose plug into a key chain with jewelry wire and tools and it's perfect. I think I'll use it for spare keys.
The last step is to make a 'strap' and put some hooks on the wall.