A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper piecing question: Ridiculous to give my quilt top a bath?  (Read 585 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MaMabel
« on: September 20, 2009 09:52:01 AM »

So I just finished my first paper pieced quilt top, a storm at sea pattern in blues and white. I've removed most of the larger pieces of paper backing (I used typing paper and dampening the paper helped a lot in getting it off), but there's still a good bit to finish picking off.

Would it be ridiculous to put the top in a bathtub filled with warm water, swirl it around a bit , and hope that that helps the remaining bits of paper break free?  Or would that be a really bad idea?  I wouldn't want to mess up the top at this point, but picking off the paper is getting tedious...

PS, Think a dollop of Mr. Bubble might help?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009 10:48:46 AM »

I don't know about the soap, but what I do to paper backings is to take a spray bottle of water and just mist the paper until it's really soaked. You will, however, get a bunch of sticky paper everywhere, but it is BETTER than clogging up your bathtub or washing machine Smiley
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009 10:51:03 AM by anaximander » THIS ROCKS   Logged
danni42683
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009 02:25:37 PM »

To get the extra little bits of paper off could you take a piece of tape wrap it around your fingers and touch the paper, then just lift it off?
I know its not the same but I had a quilt sand. sitting on my dresser forgot all about it, brought a new cat into the house and he decided that my quilt was going to be his new bed I didn't think nothing of it. It didn't even register to me that it was my quilt he was laying on! The quilt was RED and BLACK the cat, well he is white and buff(khaki) I wrapped masking tape around my hand and started touching the quilt it ALL came off within ten minutes! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MaMabel
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009 12:10:36 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions!  I ended up getting out a spray bottle and a pair of old tweezers and spending an hour listening to the radio and picking out the remaining scraps. It made a mess, but at least I don't have to worry about my quilt making a crinkling noise from having left some paper in.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firstquality
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009 04:25:17 AM »

Sometimes I put mine in the dryer on 'fluff'   and the little pieces of paper get caught in the lint trap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Life-Changing Makeover Revealed
Tricks to Dressing Slimmer
How To Dress For A Sporting Event
Jill Martin With Marlo Thomas
Jill Martin With Marlo Thomas
Latest Blog Articles
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...