A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help: Calmer snuck up and got me in a LYS  (Read 780 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Spider

I knit, therefore I geek.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2005 02:36:31 PM »

Okay.

In major panic time. (I'm actually awake in the early hours of the morning stressing about this).

I wanted to knit the Vintage Knits lacy camisole. (Small yarn quanity required, so not to much cash I thought).
But they were out of the Black glace in the LYS I had a voucher for. The saleswoman suggested I use Calmer instead - which they had iin black and I've ALWAYS wanted to knit with (drool drool). So I bought it. Not only did I manage to screw up the math and it cost me rather a lot of money (for my budget level anyway), but I woke up this morning thinking....

if Calmer is really supposed to knit on 5mm (size 8 US) needles, and the pattern calls for 3 1/4mm (size 3 US)... is this yarn completely inappropriate???

Am so annoyed with myself that I allowed myself to get suckered in by nice but inappropriate yarn (I suspect). I really can't afford to just stash it. I don't know wether to go back to the store and see if they will return/exchange it  Cry

SO. Do I try the pattern anyway? Do calculate the width of garment shift and then knit it in a smaller size based on new guage? DO I shame-faced go back to the shop and ask to return it? Do I try to find a pattern I like in Calmer that is for 5 balls (4 MC , 1 CC) (Can't afford to buy more yarn or patterns)? Do I dive in, and design my own camisole based on the Vintage Knits one? argh, argh, the decisions..

I think this is the first time knitting has made me unhappy Sad
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005 02:42:19 PM by Spider » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If I'm buying yarn to knit a gift, it doesn't count as stash, right?
acesulfamek
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005 04:40:23 PM »

I do not have the camisole pattern in front of me, but I really cannot think of a way that Calmer would ever sub for Cotton Glace (unless maybe the Glacee was being held doubled or something?).  The shop clerk must have just been thinking Rowan + cotton + black, and not thinking about what you were planning to make out of it. 

If it were my store, I would certainly take back any of the yarn that you had not used.  Given that, I would suggest that, unless you can find a pattern you would be happy with out of Calmer, you should pack up the yarn and walk it back over to the shop.  I would not try working out the pattern with it because once you have so much as taken the ball band off, they will probably give you a hard time about taking it back.

If you want the black Glace, and you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, just ask them to special order the yarn for you.  They should be able to do that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acesulfamek
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005 04:45:59 PM »

I thought of a few other yarns you might try subbing for Glace:
1. Rowan Handknit Cotton
2. Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere
3. Jaeger Aqua or Siena
4. Rowan 4-Ply Cotton

This is all just off the top of my head, though, so you should probably check on the guages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mew
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005 06:14:17 PM »

Check the gauge requirement of the camisole.

Cotton Glace's gauge is given to be about 5.5~6sts/inch (22~24 sts/4")
Calmer is 5 sts/inch (20sts/4")

Those are rather significant differences, so you should probably try to return some for a more suitable sub.

(Why do people always look at suggested needle sizes as indicators of gauge? Some people may knit to a certain gauge with a 3mm needle, while others might need to use 5mm needles. Needle size is not the same as gauge. Needle size depends on the person who is knitting - gauge is an indicator of how tight/loosely the finished fabric is (to be) knit.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spider

I knit, therefore I geek.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005 06:03:50 PM »

Okay. I've calmed down now. Smiley

I stopped and started to think about exactly WHY I bought the Calmer, and WHY i wanted to knit the Vintage Knits camisole. (Before I ran off and did anything without thinking again Wink

So. The pattern. I think I liked the idea of a vintage black and white camisole more than the actual pattern! The pattern has skinny straps (not good for D-cup bust), and I was worried about those eyelet holes going all the way up showing my bra.

The yarn. I have really alway wanted to knit with Calmer I've picked it up every single time I've gone into a yarn store and then put it down again, sighing (because of the cost). And I have never really been attracted to Glace.

So. My decision. I am going to design my own black cami, with wider straps, white lace edged top and bottom. Possibly some kind of patterning across the bodice to give it interest. Possibly eyelet holes in the bottom half, below the bust.

The best thing? I know this is the right thing - because once I worked this out, back came my normal kntting calm/zen state feeling  Grin

Thank you to all those who provided appreciated advice and assistance. I think the universe is just telling me to get out of my comfort zone and into that designing knits thing I've been meaning to do for so long  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If I'm buying yarn to knit a gift, it doesn't count as stash, right?
emling
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005 10:02:56 AM »

My experience working with Calmer is that it's extremely flexible in terms of gauge--the elasticity added by the microfiber is a big contributer to this, I think.  I bet you'll be able to get quite close (if not exactly spot on) with the gauge.  I think your tank sounds really beautiful. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rincaro
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005 10:17:03 AM »

Don't know if this will work for you. But it's a nice simple camisole with lace on the edges. I think it would look amazing in black with white trim.

http://artisokka.com/

This is the same lady who designed the soleil from the spring knitty, which I am working on right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005 04:02:50 PM »

I'm with emling - I think the Calmer would actually work fine.  I'd try knitting a few gauge swatches and see what you come up with.  Calmer gets 21 stitches/4" on size 8 needles for me - so I'm guessing if I went down to a size 3 needle it would be quite different, and would possibly approximate the Glace.  But I think designing your own tank sounds great - and Calmer is a great yarn to work with.  I'm on my second Calmer project right now, and I love knitting with it and wearing it.  Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make No-Bake Cognac Pecan Balls
How to Make Candied Pansy Cupcakes
How to Make Sweet Potato Brownies
How to Make Three-Ingredient Banana Treats
Homemade Marshmallow Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...