A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Low Stress Fiber Swap Round 1 Gallery  (Read 7133 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ysmeine
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2009 04:54:52 AM »

I think I am allergic to angora. Or at least the bit of angora I have. Twice now I have fondled it and have begun to itch everywhere. My other fibers don't seem to bother me.

I looked up Suri alpaca and it does not have a crimp like the muacaya. I think that is what we are used to when we think of alpaca. It does have a nice hand though. Almost like silk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2009 09:40:21 AM »

Love the new posts.  Everyone is so talented it is ridiculous.

I didn't know you could hand blend, never thought about it, always thought you needed a tool.  Dang, too late now.  Oh well, something I will try in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2009 09:53:00 AM »

Well I mean, technically you can. I just pull chunks off of different pieces and draft through my fingers. It's just sort of the same concept as a hackle. Only you're using less hands to draft and no tools. I would also say it sort of would depend on how you're wool is. The wool I used was light and airy, easy to draft. So it made it easier. I see other people post roving and call it "hand pulled" but I'm not always totally sure if they used a hackle to do them.

I've been laying out about 2 feet worth of fibers in overlapping chunks. Like a multicolored wool roving, bamboo roving and some firestar. Then I very slowly draft the fibers together, being sure to really mix them up as much as I can. Then I predraft that. I have a bobbin half full of a batt that penguino made for me last swap mixed with bamboo and white firestar that I blended this way. It looks really cool mixed up that way. You might have to spin it in bits and pieces, but I got a pretty good length when I was gentle with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2009 01:40:16 PM »

This is the roving I was talking about in the above post.

The end (obviously  Cheesy) is the yarn spun from these fun little buns of fiber!

I love these batts penguino sent. They're so light and airy, yet they still feel dense. With the bamboo and firestar it reminds me of candy corn and hot tamales candy.

Nesse - The fiber on the left is some of the Romney from STS you dyed. The purple is a batt that the noodle princess sent me in our last fiber swap. They were both a blast to spin up too!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009 01:55:20 PM by SewMamaLady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2009 01:43:26 PM »

sml, that's how I did it before I had any equipment, and any knowledge LOL    I still see no harm in doing it that way, makes for a really fun yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2009 01:51:22 PM »

Yes, very fun! It's very, very squishy. I did a bit of yanking apart and really teasing the fibers also. So when it's knit or crocheted up and especially if I ply it, it will be a nice bulky size. I really haven't done ANY knitting/crocheting/weaving lately because I've been so busy playing with fiber. So my basket of handspun is really growing. I'm sometimes more of a materials girl. I can get lost playing with materials, be it paints or dyes or fabrics, much longer than I spend actually making anything. I'm just totally fascinated with different mediums. Fiber is by far the most satisfying to me so far.

I am trying to help my best friend learn to crochet. She has a very fast growing 6 month old and needs to be able to create some of her accessories instead of investing a bunch of money in store bought hats and socks all the time. She's very enthusiastic and I'm really excited to have a friend into fiber arts! She's totally going to want to spin before too long and she has no idea how much I'm going to draw her into the dark side. muahahaha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faren
Sit and Spin

I am Sci-Fi

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2009 02:43:28 PM »

Here is my great package from Thenutmeg2000!

Top Finn, bamboo, shetland, alpaca and chocolate sparkle.  Bottom, alpaca, shetland, bamboo, yak and camel.

Sampler top to bottom 4 colors of natural cotton, Wenslydale locks, Cashmere, tussah silk, yak and camel.  And soap! I love handmade soap!
I'm so sorry Thenutmeg2000, but I forgot to take a picture of this last one before I spun it up! I needed a break from a project I'm doing for a swap.  I didn't even think about it until I went to take pictures today.  It was very pretty! Anyway, here it is all spun up.

Superwash merino, milk protein, cashmere and black alpaca.  I'm thinking of andean plying it and using it for embroidery.  

Thanks so much Thenutmeg2000! It was great swapping with you and I love everything!
Thanks for organizing again SewMamaLady!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009 02:45:20 PM by Faren » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap Friendly!

My Wists  http://wists.com/Faren
http://www.flickr.com/photos/faren422/

New hand spun yarns listed! 2/27/10
http://www.annellsannex.etsy.com
myklia
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2009 03:50:11 PM »

Such gorgeous fiber I especially love the spun fiber.

One of the fibers would have worked for hand blending, the other fiber I wanted to blen it with wouldn't have (unless I am lacking imagination which is always possible).  I actually did attempt to make a hackle to use for this swap, but my attempt was laughable at best.  I still tried to use it because it still seemed possible, again, laughable.  I might make another attempt at using it at some point when I have more time and patience.

I am getting to the point where I want to spin (and I just have a drop spindle) more than knit or crochet.  Since I met the woman at the sheep farm in door county who taught me how to spin better on my drop spindle, I LOVE spinning.  Before that I was getting frustrated because I couldn't make my yarn spin how I wanted.  I am very happy with it now.

I sent to Ariaya (will send PM shortly), but after receiving my package and seeing everyone else's, I have a bit of anxiety.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2009 05:13:38 PM »

i have yet to make a FO out of any of my handspun......  I guess I just like spinning more then knitting or crochet..... But i'm slowly loving felting more... I know I know blasphemy.......  but same product (for the most part, what I spin anyway)  different end results, and more funa method then knitting or crochet lol....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faren
Sit and Spin

I am Sci-Fi

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2009 06:13:30 PM »

I've only made 3 projects out of my handspun.  And I've made a lot of skeins of yarn.  I just love spinning more than knitting.  Which is why just about everyone that I swap with gets a skein of yarn if I have one I think they will like. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap Friendly!

My Wists  http://wists.com/Faren
http://www.flickr.com/photos/faren422/

New hand spun yarns listed! 2/27/10
http://www.annellsannex.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coloring Techniques with John Simpson - Part 2
Professional Hair Color Technique Lesson
Hair Foil Coloring Technique
How to Style Long Hair with Mogi Hair Education
Tapered Hair Cut Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...