A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 307,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bridal garter for my best friend  (Read 920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawtmamah
« on: September 18, 2009 07:24:45 AM »

So my best friend is getting married... I can't be there as i am 8 months pregnant and her wedding is just a few short weeks away (Oct 3rd!!)... she lives in WA and i'm in VA... yeah. So i asked her if there was ANYTHING i could do for her, i'd love to make her something, anything, since i can't actually be there. I suggested crocheting her garter first off, and that's exactly what she was going to ask me to make. SO.

i couldn't find a single pattern i liked, aside from the fact that there just aren't that many out there to begin with. So i freehanded the whole thing. I'm going to try to write up a pattern later, i haven't had time to sit down and get it sorted out on paper. I used a 1.8mm hook for the 'body' of the garter and a 2.5 mm hook for the 'ruffle'.

I use a 2-ply lace weight silk and cashmere blend i found on ebay. She requested an ivory garter with some blue somewhere and that was all. so. i picked out the ivory laceweight and found some iridescent ivory-ish seed beads (my first time using beads in crochet... what a learning experience) that you can't really see unless you are close up. Then i picked out the lightest blue satin i could find to make the casing for the elastic.

note to self: i cannot pretend to be even a beginner level seamstress and this will probably be the last time i use my sewing machine ever again considering i can't sew in a straight line to save my life and i don't have the patience for hand-sewing.

SO. i present the possibly but probably not quite finished garter... 1 of 2, i might add. she wants one to toss at her reception and one to keep. I haven't decided if i'm going to add anything else to it yet. a ribbon or some kind of cabochon-type bead to cover what is supposed to be a "seam" for the satin casing...

and sorry for the unintentional belly shot, it was the best  i could do under the circumstances!!

on the leg:

and a close up to show the beads:

and i've never actually seen a garter in person, so i can only hope this looks wedding-worthy. the last and only wedding i have ever been to was years ago when i was in 3rd grade and i don't remember much of it at all. LOL. here's to hoping she likes them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TintedShadow
Craft it with stardust!

*Even the prettiest rose has thorns*

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009 08:22:31 AM »

well done, I think this is perfectly wedding worthy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*There's no such thing as strangers, just friends you haven't met yet*
ledleeaf
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009 08:26:37 AM »

actually much nicer than the ones you usually find at weddings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gomerriffic
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009 08:59:31 AM »

It's gorgeous!! The colors go nicely together. And I think the belly shot is cute! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just trying to find me...
hawtmamah
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009 01:01:58 PM »

aww thanks everybody Smiley i finally got the elastic and casing sewn together, so it's pretty much ready to send out, and not a moment too soon....!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Cozies
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Chocolate Mice
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: 50's Style Cocktail Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...