A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial - An Awesome Box From Recycled Junk Mail! IMG Heavy  (Read 3000 times)
Tags for this thread: box , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

moxie_d
« on: September 17, 2009 03:04:50 PM »

I love to find new ways to recycle or reuse items and this is one of my favorites!

You will need -
Junk Mail Card Stock (any type)
Ruler
Pen
Exacto Knife
Hot Glue Gun

You can use what ever type of glue you would like or even tape. I just like to use hot glue because it dries the fastest.

Step 1. Measure in 1" from the edge of your cardstock and mark. Do this at intervals around all four sides. You can really use whatever measurement that you would like. Just make sure it is the same all of the way around.

Step 2. Connect your marks so that they make a straight line along each side. Be sure to draw all of the way to each edge so that the lines intersect at the corners.

Step 3. Using heavy pressure run your pen up and down each line a few times to "score" them for folding.

Step 4. Measure the length of your card stock and divide it in half to find the center. Lightly mark a center line.  Now mark a 1/2" on either side of this line. Repeat on the other edge.

Step 5. Connect your marks and use heavy pressure to score these lines also.

Step 6. With the long side of your cardstock horizontal, and using the lines as guides, take your exacto knife and cut the flaps as shown.  Be careful not to cut above your 1" mark.

Step 7. Fold along all of the lines you have made. I prefer to keep all of my markings hidden on the inside.

Step 8. Fold your box into it's basic shape to try it out and see if you have your sides even. This is where you will find out if you can draw a straight line and how good your math was when you found the center of your sheet. If everything is right it should fold up just like a clam shell.

Step 9. You will have 3 open sides and a solid one. Hot glue the side directly opposite of the solid one.

Step 10. Pick one of the other open ends and hot glue that together.

And you should now have a super awesome recycled box!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

purplexime
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009 03:33:39 PM »

Great idea!  You did an awesome job.  Thanks for taking the time to post a tut. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

This is a new twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009 04:13:52 PM »

This is amazing!  I love your tute.  It's so easy to understand.  And the box looks great.  Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--1/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
This may not happen, since I have had major surgery on my shoulder.
cwinniecraft
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009 04:47:41 PM »

Thank you for the tut. I'm looking forward to getting junk mail now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moxie_d
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009 04:58:12 PM »

This is amazing!  I love your tute.  It's so easy to understand.  And the box looks great.  Nice job.

Thank you! I always worry that I am going to be the only person that understands it and everyone else will need a translator  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeJa
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009 05:44:37 PM »

How cute. Just curious, what you have used these boxes for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only purpose of the day job is to buy the craft supplies!! Cheesy  Seriously, I LOVE making personalized crafts. I now have a line of hand-crafted fans and notecards using the Zentangle (R) technique. I have also become a Certified Zentangle Teacher and teach other artforms and techniques.
moxie_d
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009 10:02:19 PM »

How cute. Just curious, what you have used these boxes for?

Thanks! This version I use for mailing small items, but it can be tweeked for just about anything. Just change up your measurments, cut off a couple of flaps, glue in a different spot and you have a gift box  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelus-art
"be creativ, life is painting"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009 02:59:14 PM »

Cute! Wink I made by hand my box for weeding invitation.... Cry Cry  Thanks God I needed only 50pc. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

killkacy
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009 02:05:06 PM »

This tutorial is really helpful. I'm bookmarking it for later. Thank you for sharing! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Santa-Inspired Look
4 Ways to Dress Up For Any Holiday Party
Top 5 Sexy Christmas Costumes
Shop These 4 NYE Dresses Right Now
Rent The Runway Takes On Fifth Avenue
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...