A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News Announcement: Crafting your Halloween costume this year?  Enter it for a chance to win prizes!  Read the spooktacular details here.
Total Members: 308,421
Currently Running With Scissors:
284 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my devilish hooded shrug... now with added tutorial ish on pg 2  (Read 34861 times)
Tags for this thread: shrug , bernat_chunky_softee , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 15, 2005 11:27:45 AM »

it is knit out of bernat chunky softee acrylic yarn and is 3 pieces.. to long rectangle for the arms and a big squarish piece for the hood...
i love the 2 little red devil horns on it... it was super fast to make and soooooooooooo very fun to wear...

let me know what ya think!

EDITED TO ADD--- I have not had time to write an actual pattern for this. I will paste the recipe from page 2 below. The pictures should work now at least. Please still feel free to write me with questions. Thanks

on size 4.5mm(7US)straight needles cast on 32 stitches with whichever color (i used black of course)
then do k2p2 ribbing for 8 rows(or desired length)and then  do stocking knit stich the rest of the way
then switch to size5.5mm(9US i believe) and also switch to other color(i used red)
then alternate color stripes every 4 rows(or whatever you want) 4 is good tho cause you can carry the string up with the other color anything more then that and youd have to cut it and sew in the ends.. YUCK!

i did some basic decreases every few stripes so that it would be semifitted by the wrist.. and then increased up the sleeve of it to componsate for the arm getting bigger... got me??

so basically with these sleeves they are 2 long rectangles that by the end of of they should have been increased to 38 stitches each sleeve...i did 19 stripes of each color to get the desired length i wanted...(not including the ribbed cuff) then i cast off

for the hood i didnt do any shaping to make it not pointy on the back... i like the look of it like this...
so i decided to use a solid color for the hood. you could continue the striping..
so i cast on about 75 stitches..and just did stocking knit stitch until it was big enough to fit my head.... sorry no numbers.... you would have to fit it to your head too... i used the kitchener stitch to bind it off...

then i took the 2 sleeves and overlapped them a little to make a decent sized neck hole.. i also like the effect of the stripes and the sturdyness of the front and back there then i sewwed that together... then i took the hood and whip stitched it on to the new neckhole... i had to overlapp the hood edges alittle but once again it gives it a tighter fit of the hood when its on...

for the horns i placed safety pins marking where i wanted them and in red i used double pointed needles and picked up 2 stiches on eac one in a sorta triangle shape and knit around with some decreases to make them pointy until they were the size i wanted...

i did go around the horns with the red to tie them on a little better and make them a little wider around the bottom... ok... well i think thats about it...

sorry if its too long and sucky... but i basically winged the whole thing...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016 04:27:57 PM by spirals420 - Reason: adding pictures and pattern » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005 11:40:23 AM »

i love the alex grey you have going on...

and the shrug too!
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005 11:41:10 AM »

i love that you know alex grey... is his stuff not soooo amazing.... its unreal...
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005 02:32:31 PM »

awesome- i love the horns too!

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Gigi Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005 03:00:25 PM »

That is so so cute! I might try the same thing but with a cowel instead of a hood around the neck.

Good job!
I heart wool and sharp pointy sticks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005 03:07:02 PM »

This is by far trippendicular!  Cheesy

Sure, I've got one of those knittin' blog thing-a-ma-jigs!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005 03:32:08 PM »

Sooooooper cute! Please post a pattern!

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005 05:53:31 PM »

i agree! a pattern please Smiley t'would make me oh so very happy! i love things with hoods but hate wearing big bulky hoodys when i just need the hood out of it. i kind of like the look of other shrugs, but they never seem overly practical and would look silly worn over a lot of my other clothes.

your hooded shrug, on the other hand, is freaking perfect! it solves both dilemmas at the same time, and as long as it isn't knit on crazy sized circular needles (like all the other shrugs i've liked) and the hood isn't really really pointy (like all the other hood patterns i've seen) i shall be one incredibly happy knitter Cheesy
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005 06:10:32 PM »

Oh.  My.  [Insert diety here.]!  That is the greatest thing I have seen so far.  Oh, oh, if you post a pattern, I promise I will not run anyone over all weekend.  Not a one!
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005 08:06:59 PM »

I love it!!!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Roasted Acorn Squash Gnocchi
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...