A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 307,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wind Waker Link Comforter! :)  (Read 12290 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpookyPooky
~Where monsters and Wonderland come to life~

I myself am, strange and unusual.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2009 07:13:53 AM »

Okay, so this is not a full on quilt, but the part I made was made like a quilt and then sewn on to a comforter. So I will put it here, but if somebody thinks it fits somewhere else better, please tell me! This is my first sewing project ever so I am not quite sure where to put it.

Okay, onto the project! This was actually made almost 4 years ago, so it is a little bit worn but I forgot to take pictures of it when I made it, (d'oh!) and I finally just now remembered to do it. It still looks pretty good considering how much it gets used. I made this for my boyfriend, it was my brilliant plan. However, I had never even touched a needle and thread, let alone a sewing machine.

It is pretty self-explanatory but if you want to hear my detailed explanation on how I did it I can edit this! In a nutshell, I drew the picture of Link onto poster paper as best as I could and used it as a pattern. I cut the silhouette out and made the black outline and then cut each separate piece out to use as a pattern. Everything is accounted for! I used iron adhesive paper to first piece together the whole thing and then I went away on the sewing machine praying for good results. And overall, it worked out well!

Like I said, it was the first time I had ever sewn and there were some tears and frustration, but I am in love with the final result! I am definitely NOT a seamstress though, and will always be in awe of your guys' stuff! Sorry for the crappy pictures, and again, this is almost 4 years of wear and tear, but it still looks alright. Thanks for looking!

Overall, the Link himself is about 5 feet tall.

In case you don't know who he is  Smiley :

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009 08:02:23 AM by littlepooky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009 07:58:18 AM »

Grin Awesome~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
sushiluvzombie
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009 09:46:34 AM »

THAT IS FREAKIN AMAZING LP!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amalgam
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009 10:07:53 AM »

I love it! When I saw it on the home page, I was like, "Hey! It's Wind Waker Link!" I've been thinking about doing something like this and putting it on a tote bag. So, to make sure that I understand, did you use iron on adhesive to put the image together and then sewed it to the comforter? Or are the individual pieces sewn too? I'd like to know since you've had it for four years and it still looks really good. Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paleona
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009 11:13:28 AM »

Love that he's all pieced together!  You did a great job of getting him to look just like in Wind Waker.  Grats on having an amazing first sewing project  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpookyPooky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009 11:33:35 AM »

Thanks everybody!

I love it! When I saw it on the home page, I was like, "Hey! It's Wind Waker Link!" I've been thinking about doing something like this and putting it on a tote bag. So, to make sure that I understand, did you use iron on adhesive to put the image together and then sewed it to the comforter? Or are the individual pieces sewn too? I'd like to know since you've had it for four years and it still looks really good. Thanks! Smiley

yup, I used both. I bought a roll of adhesive paper and cut it out to match each piece and put iron down all the pieces. I did for two reasons: one) since I am such a n00b when it comes to sewing, I figured that would hold the pieces perfect and allow them not to shift at all while sewing and two) I figured that would help it last longer. After ironing each piece I sewed all the way around each edge AND THEN sewed the whole piece onto the comforter. Does that help at all?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009 07:58:59 PM »

wow that looks amazing! and very accurate seeming. nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amalgam
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009 11:21:48 AM »

yup, I used both. I bought a roll of adhesive paper and cut it out to match each piece and put iron down all the pieces. I did for two reasons: one) since I am such a n00b when it comes to sewing, I figured that would hold the pieces perfect and allow them not to shift at all while sewing and two) I figured that would help it last longer. After ironing each piece I sewed all the way around each edge AND THEN sewed the whole piece onto the comforter. Does that help at all?  Smiley

Ok, I think I get it. Tell me if I misunderstand anywhere:

1. Cut out fabric piece and adhesive paper piece to match
2. Iron fabric piece and adhesive paper piece together
3. Sew around the edge of the now fabric/adhesive piece (any stitch in particular? running stitch? zigzag? I don't want the edges to curl or ravel after washing and drying)
4. Sew piece to comforter

Sorry that I keep asking questions. It just saddens me when I try something and it comes out bad because I missed a crucial step.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009 04:20:05 PM »

This is a really fantastic job.  Toon Link is my favorite Link of all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpookyPooky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009 04:36:37 PM »

Thanks, kanhoro and Magadoo!

amalgram, I think you have got it. the adhesive paper irons on both sides so you iron it on the separate pieces first and then when you are all ready and have them placed on the black silhouette you peel off the back of the adhesive paper onto it. And for the stitches I used a zig-zag stitch but that is only because I just guessed. There might be a better way to do it, but I don't know! Let me know if you do it, I would to see it!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009 04:37:10 PM by littlepooky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book
A Little Birdie Told Me

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...