A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,123
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New home for my fish!  (Read 7781 times)
Tags for this thread: fish_bowl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

macgirl_k
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009 05:17:05 PM »

My aunt has had her betta in a little bowl about this size for 5 years so I didn't know it was bad to keep them in something this small. I have only seen people keep them in smaller fish bowls. If they need more space I can get a bigger bowl. How much space does it need? I didn't know they needed more space than that especially when they come in tiny cups from the pet store. I like fish and I don't want to kill it so I will get a bigger fish tank as soon as possible.
I got the instructions from this site here and made it for my bigger machine-
http://www.addicted2decorating.com/diy-project-accessories-gumball-machine-fish-bowl.html

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009 06:03:05 PM by macgirl_k » THIS ROCKS   Logged

zoster.i

addicted lurker...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009 04:12:03 PM »

I don't know how big they need the tank to be (I'm sure they won't ever complain about too much space, lol), but I know that beta fish have to be able to breathe air from the surface of the water. That's actually why they can survive in smaller spaces - they breathe both from the water and the surface air. So make sure that your cute lid still has some air circulation! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009 03:15:14 PM »

My aunt has had her betta in a little bowl about this size for 5 years so I didn't know it was bad to keep them in something this small. I have only seen people keep them in smaller fish bowls. If they need more space I can get a bigger bowl. How much space does it need? I didn't know they needed more space than that especially when they come in tiny cups from the pet store. I like fish and I don't want to kill it so I will get a bigger fish tank as soon as possible.
http://www.addicted2decorating.com/diy-project-accessories-gumball-machine-fish-bowl.html

I would get at least a 3 gal tank.  When I had my Bettas, I bought a tank divider ((at PetSmart)) and had 2 in a 10 gallon tank.  ((DO NOT PUT BETTAS TOGETHER..... SOMEONE WILL DIE!!))  Make sure you have a heater proportionate to the size tank you have. 

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=32461

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
KraftyKitonet
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010 10:37:16 AM »

This is an adorable idea. Way to go. It looks nice and it looks like the fish is happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.::.Wists.::.Etsy.::.
aptabb
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010 07:04:55 AM »

Alright, as I was recently doing some hunting online I came across an old gumball machine. I have since purchased it, and I will be picking it up today.

Everything I read online says that beta fish need at least 1/2 a gallon of water, but preferably one gallon per fish. I would imagine that my machine will accommodate at least this. If it doesn't I will figure out some other purpose for my machine. After all, a gumball machine is pretty cool all on its own.

One modification I will be making for my tank however, is drilling some holes in the top of the metal cap, and figuring out how to maneuver some sort of filtration system.

Macgirl I will keep you updated on my progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sgriffen
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010 12:39:13 PM »

Not a fish fan (issues from childhoold.....don't ask!), but had to leave a comment to say how COOL this is. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shari
For the Little Doll in Your Life http://centralnjemilyroseathome.blogspot.com/
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010 06:47:54 AM »

Everything I've read and been taught is a gallon per fish. however bigger is better.
I think you could probably find a large bowl to fit the top of the gumball machine and use some sort of adhesive to affix it so it looks like it belongs if that is what you are looking for.

I love your project it's so creative and different! I've seen blenders, coffee makers and t.v.s turned into fish tanks but never something like this so props for originality!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoejoeG
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010 02:19:08 AM »

Haha It's brilliant of you to change a gumball machine into your fishy tank!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011 03:41:55 PM by batgirl - Reason: To comply with craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lionne
brain and food color eating were-zombie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011 01:03:12 PM »

This is SO awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/lionne

I'm interested in personal swaps.
For a project I'm in need of Christmas countdown inchies! If you're interested and/or want more information feel free to pm me.
Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011 03:44:37 PM »

Wow! This is a really great idea. Your fishy will be very happy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Harry Potter Opening Night: How to Relive Hogwarts After Dark
A Guide to Getting into Hogwarts
How to Make an Underwater Video
How to Make Your Own How to Film
Learn About the Film Noir
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...