A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,881
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewn Fabric Towel and Napkin - Step by Step Tutorial  (Read 3859 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , towel , sponsored_project , napkin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewingRepublic
« on: September 16, 2009 03:19:12 PM »

Sponsored Project - Sewn Fabric Towel and Napkin from SewingRepublic.com

Sewn Fabric Towel and Napkin

by Juliette Lanvers

Materials
  • One piece of cotton or linen for towel, 26" x 19"
  • Two pieces of cotton or linen for one napkin, each 15" x 15" square
  • A large scrap piece of fabric, fat quarter, or quarter yard of decorative fabric for embellishing towel and napkin
  • Medium weight tear away stabilizer
  • Medium weight interfacing
  • Temporary spray adhesive
  • Matching thread
  • Embroidery thread for decorative stitching
  • One decorative button for each napkin

Tools
  • Scissors or rotary cutter and mat
  • Pins
  • Yardstick
  • Fabric-marking pen, pencil or chalk (your choice)
  • Seam gauge

Steps

Cutting the Towel

1. With your fabric marker and yardstick, measure and cut from the cotton or linen fabric; one 26" x 19" piece for the towel and two 15" x 15" pieces for the napkin.

2. From the piece of decorative fabric, measure one 7" x 19" piece for the towel and one 4" x 4" piece for the napkin.

3. Start with the 7" x 19" decorative piece of fabric, and press under 1/2" to the wrong side along one long edge.

4. Pin the long unfolded edge of the decorative fabric strip along one long edge of the towel fabric with the right side of the decorative fabric strip against the wrong side of the towel fabric. The pressed edge will be left open for turning right-side-out.

Sewing the Towel

5. Stitch the decorative fabric in place along the three outside edges with a 1/2" seam allowance. Clip the corners, turn the fabric to the right side of the towel, and press. Pin in place and topstitch along the folded edge of the decorative band to secure.

6. To add rows of decorative stitching to the towel, sew one or more lines of stitching across the towel. Using a fabric marker and a ruler, make straight lines across the end of the towel where you want to add the stitching; these are guidelines to follow when sewing.

7. Adhere the stabilizer to the back of the towel with a small amount of temporary spray adhesive to keep the fabric from bunching up or gathering while you are stitching. Then, select a decorative stitch and sew along a guideline. Repeat for each row of decorative stitching desired. Carefully tear the stabilizer away from the back of the stitches when you are finished.

8. Hem the remaining edges of the towel by folding 1/2" to the wrong side of the towel and pressing. Open the fold and press the raw edge toward the fold line to create a narrow finished hem. Pin and topstitch in place.

Sewing the Napkin

9. Pin the two 15" x 15" napkin fabrics together with the raw edges even and right sides together. Leave a 3" opening on one side, about 2" inches from one corner.

10. Stitch with a narrow 1/4" seam and clip the corners. Turn the stitched square right-side-out through the 3" opening and press.

11. Use the 4" x 4" piece of decorative fabric for making the napkin tab. Cut a piece of medium-weight interfacing the same size as the fabric square. Layer the pieces so that the interfacing is on top of the wrong side of the fabric. Fold the layered pieces in half, right sides together, and pin along the long, raw edge.

12. Press the tube fl at centering the seam in the middle of one side. Then, stitch a point in one end of the tube, clip corners, turn right-side-out and press.

13. Measure your button and stitch a buttonhole in the center of the tab at the shaped end.

14. Insert the unfinished end of the tab into the side opening of the napkin, 2 1/2" down from the top corner. Pin in place and topstitch to finish.

15. Fold the napkin closed and mark the spot to add the button. Handstitch your button in place.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009 04:03:03 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brynns Mom
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009 06:55:31 PM »

This is really nice and your tutorial is easy to follow.  Thanks for taking the time to post this.  I'm new to sewing and I think these would make nice presents for Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009 05:14:48 PM »

I would totally recommend this as a beginner project. Once you get a hang of it, they will go so fast. And the best part is always seeing people use what you've made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordpress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
WildeHeart2105
McPhd

Aut vincere aut mori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009 10:20:17 AM »

Oh I'm such a newbie sewer but this looks like my first project - I'm so excited and thank you so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psychology Instructor & Personal Trainer

http://www.EricaDHouse.com
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009 10:58:23 AM »

Anyone making these for Christmas gifts?  What cotton or linen are you using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pottery Making: Determining Foot Ring Size When Trimming
How to Make Your Own Photo Canvases
How to Make a Diagonal Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make a Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make a Twisted Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...