A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Way of Herbs: An Herbalism Swap  (Read 9028 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dreadlocklove
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009 09:59:14 AM »

You all have interesting questionnaire answers and I wish I could have four partners!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009 12:52:26 PM »

shipping canada to usa and usa to canada there is ABSOLUTELY NO shipping of "firewood" which would basically mean raw wood. manufactured wood things like stuff youd buy in a craft store and paint is ok. it a disease issue with raw woods. we also cant transport citrus fruits, birds or beef but i doubt those would be in any packages.

teas is hit and miss like if there is a strong smell that can be smelt outside the package it will likely be quarantined and not allowed threw (this would include herbs) but if everything is sealed in containers and ziplocks etc and clearly labled as to what the herb/tea is inside it shouldnt be an issue (says a customs friend of mine)

i've ordered essential oils from the usa and was told that you have to take into account the flashpoint of the individual oils and they have to be tightly sealed, taped, bubble wrapped and in plastic bags so that the risk of rupture and contamination is minimal. but if guidelines are followed oils are ok to ship

i use/make alot of natural products that i use in the house and on/for the kids so have shipped and received a fair amount of the items in question. if everything is clearly labeled and reported on the customs form alot of times they wont even open the box. in the last 6 years i have only had two packages "officially" opened by customs one was labeled as diapers and the second one was labeled hemp products. the "hemp products" i can understand  but seriously what curious customs agent wanted to see my diapers? lol

now that i've bored you with all that . . . i would like to participate in this swap but think i should sit this one out and maybe the second round i'll join. i'm not exactly a "herb" person as much as i am natural things (we have one chemical in our house and its toilet cleaner and if i could find something natural that works just as awesome i wouldnt have the toilet cleaner)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009 01:32:30 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up!!  I've been trying to look some, but without much luck!

On the cleaners thing, I just started using the Green Works (I think that's theright name) by Clorox, works pretty good.  What I really really like, though, is Mean Green Cleaner.  It's nontoxic and biodegradable!!  I have a septic tank so I have to really watch what I use in the drains (definitely no bleach!) and this stuff works wonders!!  Best thing is that it's cheaper than most cleaners and you can find it at the dollar store.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
donniesgirl
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009 05:39:57 AM »

lol - I wrote a book!  Smiley

You all have interesting questionnaire answers and I wish I could have four partners!

I'm a "natural" person, too.  A green swap would be cool.

now that i've bored you with all that . . . i would like to participate in this swap but think i should sit this one out and maybe the second round i'll join. i'm not exactly a "herb" person as much as i am natural things (we have one chemical in our house and its toilet cleaner and if i could find something natural that works just as awesome i wouldnt have the toilet cleaner)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009 05:42:03 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009 01:59:21 PM »

I found this website today on the Eco Craft-along

http://www.eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

The whole website's a winner in my book
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009 03:05:37 PM »

So I have a question .. I'm just waiting on some feedback before I can sign up for this swap ... package has been received, so it should be fine.

I know there's no limits on how much we swap .. is it just up to the partners to decide? or .... I don't want to send a little to someone who sends me back a lot, but I also don't want to kill myself crafting or rush to get a lot done and not get anything done well ....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
donniesgirl
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009 08:10:15 PM »

I interpreted it as meaning you & your partner decide. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amymisha
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009 07:09:36 AM »

I am in!!! I have just emailed my questionnaire...thi s sounds like a very fun swap! Just in time to harvest my garden too.... : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreadlocklove
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009 10:03:41 AM »

Has there never been a green swap on Craftster?  I think most who are interested in herbalism also have a strong association with a green lifestyle.  And since projects for this swap can also pertain to an herbalists lifestyle, those green and natural ideas are definitely welcome!  I hope you are still considering joining, 1boy1girl1kitty2.

As far as the requirements go, it is up to each group to decide how they would like to go about crafting.  I figure everyone's schedule and financial situation allow them to create a different amount of gifts.  To say that one large project is required when someone's heart is really into creating something that is only defined as a medium by the usual standards set on Craftster may cause potential problems as well, in that a participant may not put whole-hearted effort into the large project, may skip out on their medium gift which is what they preferred doing in the first place, and/or will go ahead with both and may potentially ship the package late as a result.

I'm hoping that my partner and I don't measure the value of our packages so much by its size.  I would really like for this swap to be as fun as possible, and while I agree in not wanting for my partner and I's packages to be way off balance, I'm not bothered by some discrepancies if I feel both of us dedicated our full potential to the gifts we have made.  I'd like to feel good about what I send, and if I know my partner feels the same, I'll be happy to receive whatever that package turns out to be.

You are encouraged to discuss your thoughts with your partner, including any concerns.  Arrange for a complete surprise between the two of you, determine a point system, or do something that is in between.  Given the nature of this swap and the personalities that herb and nature lovers generally have, I'm guessing we will all be receptive to any issues and concerns that are addressed.

What one group accomplishes shouldn't affect another group's arrangements if everyone is happy.  So whatever is the best route for you and your partner, take it!

Speaking of swap terms though, I received a message from jungrrl regarding new swap rules and am posting here to bring it to your attention:

Please note that the swapping rules have recently changed, and the two new changes that may affect you and the swap(s) that you are currently organizing are the following:

1. Swappers must be at least 16 years old unless they swapped before the rule change and have received clearance from the moderators. Please make sure you are using the new swap signup form for any swaps starting signups on 9/22/09 or later.

2. Anyone who has not sent by two weeks after the official swap sendout must get negative feedback on that date, even if they are in communication and you feel they will be sending soon. This feedback should be changed to positive once their package has arrived at its destination. If you currently have anyone in this situation, please give them negative feedback now. If they are not in communication, please get their partner an angel at this time.

This message has been sent to all organizers who currently have open swaps, and may not apply to you and the swap(s) you are currently organizing. If your swap is in the ACTIVE SWAPS WHERE SIGN-UP PERIOD HAS CLOSED  board, but all participants (including angels) have sent, please move your topic to the ARCHIVE OF SWAPS THAT ARE TOTALLY FINISHED board. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Help Desk and select the "Swap Related" option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
dreadlocklove
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009 10:47:00 AM »

Another participant! 

I think all of us but one are interested in recipes.  This is giving me an idea for the next round; a collaborative e-recipe book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set Up an Artist Studio
How to Add Detail to a Drawing
How to Add Texture to Drawings
How to Draw a Basic Two-Point Perspective
How to Draw a Face
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...