A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bermuda Blue  (Read 666 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2009 12:12:36 PM »

My newest painting, Bermuda Blue.  Its 5 ft x 4 ft, acrylic and newspaper, on a thrift-store canvas.  I used bubble wrap and super-heavy gel to give the sky some texture.

Heres an attempt to show you some of the texture.  It stands out maybe a quarter of an inch

Lastly, I turned off the flash to get a better representation of the true colors:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessa_aka_jalapeno

And high in Vitamin C! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009 12:23:10 PM »

Oooh, very nice! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlemissartist

Reality continues to ruin my life.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009 12:26:06 PM »

your thrift store has canvases? i'm jealous! lol. beautiful colors and use of mixing media.
i LOVE that you used newspaper for the sail. also, great title. i always have a hard time with titles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calvin: "I'm never gonna get married. Are you?"
Hobbes: "Hmm...I suppose if the right person came along, I might. Someone with green eyes and a nice laugh, who I could call 'Pooty Pie'."
Calvin: "POOTY PIE?"
Hobbes: "Or bitsy pookums."
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009 12:53:35 PM »

Beeyewteefool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009 03:15:21 PM »

I also have a large canvas that has a lot of texture, if I wanted to repaint, how would I get all of that stuff off? There is one small rip repaired from the back, but otherwise it is in good shape. About 3' by 4'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009 08:58:41 AM »

Thanks for your comments!  I'm glad you guys like this one  Smiley

your thrift store has canvases? i'm jealous! lol. beautiful colors and use of mixing media.
i LOVE that you used newspaper for the sail. also, great title. i always have a hard time with titles.

Yeah, most of the ones around here do.  Yours might too!  Look up.  There's sometimes art on a high shelf in a lot of stores, or it may be hidden in some corner.  If I can't find a blank canvas, I'll use an old painting (preferably one in sad condition...just not moldy) and paint over it.  As for the title, I usually come up with my own; often, though, something literary, musical, or lyrical is just more appropriate.  For this painting, listen to "Baptized by Fire" by Spinnerette and you'll see what I mean.    

I also have a large canvas that has a lot of texture, if I wanted to repaint, how would I get all of that stuff off? There is one small rip repaired from the back, but otherwise it is in good shape. About 3' by 4'.

It kind of depends what's on it to begin with.  What I did with this one was to scrape off some old modeling paste (a plaster kind of stuff) with an old spoon (high-tech, I know).  It took a couple of hours to do this, but was really worth it because it re-exposed the actual surface of the canvas and toned down the harsh textures the previous artist had built up.  I think that this worked for me only because the plaster had actually started to come off in spots before I even touched it.  

For most other works, I try to only repaint over acrylic.  I always use white gesso to cover the previous work and give me a blank start, and then just start painting.  I use a lot of textures/mixed media in my pieces, so any texture that the previous artist left on the canvas isn't too much of a problem for me.  Just remember that if there's Sharpie (or any other permanent marker) on the canvas, it will likely bleed through any acrylic that you put on top of it.  I usually solve that by layering paper or ribbon on top of the marker lines.  

I hope that all helps you!  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009 09:07:18 AM by bunsenhoneydew13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009 09:22:07 AM »

spoon? I have one of those. It is kinda plastery in texture, so I will try that, and I'm sure this is a painting. No sharpies. It is all in pastels, so if I can get it smooth, I could just paint over.

I can't afford gesso, but have a lot of white house latex, would that work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009 08:28:08 PM »

I can't afford gesso, but have a lot of white house latex, would that work?

Honestly, I can't say yes or no to that...I would probably try it, because in my experience, acrylics can go over a lot of materials.  The problem is that I don't know if the housepaint will stick to the painting that's already on the canvas.  Without actually seeing/feeling what's on the canvas now, I can't really say anything more.  But please remember that I'm pretty destructive when it comes to being creative, so I don't feel too bad when taking huge risks.  Do what you think is best for you!  Good luck, and I hope it works out wonderfully for you  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Uggie: My Story Book Trailer
Peter Brown on Illustrating Creepy Carrots
Kurt Anderson on His Book "True Believers"
Kristen-Paige Madonia on the Inspiration for Fingerprints of You
The Art Of The Man Cave
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...