A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: suiting up! with beaucoup photos  (Read 2172 times)
Tags for this thread: burning_man , bodysuit , spandex , glitter , sequin , utility_belt , vinyl , sparkle , metallic , zipper , space , costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 14, 2009 08:18:50 AM »

For about a year and a half I've been eying some glitter Spandex at Joann's, knowing exactly what I would make out of it if I could only find the excuse. Well, this year I went to BURNING MAN. It was insane; it was incredible; it was indescribable! And I was well dressed.

First, here are some shots from the desert:

As it turns out, you don't have to have a great body to prance around in a bodysuit. Stick anything in 2 yards of sparkly spandex and it's fabulous. I got more attention wearing these than when I walked around naked.

The outfits were interpreted in so many ways, as a fish/mermaid suit, as an astronaut, as an alien (especially when I was in the rocket), and a superhero. It was actually pretty cold at night and my silver fringed arm warmers didn't do much, so when I wasn't dancing my tushy off I was snuggled up in a teal robe someone loaned me.

I didn't use a pattern on these but they fit perfectly. I loved being able to change the attitude by the height of the zipper (I did wear it around with the zipper open). Also I whipped up a silver utility belt, which was so useful! I kept food, a camera, toilet paper, a knife, and all sorts of little essentials on hand.

The blue one was second and came out much better. It only took 90 minutes from start to finish (excluding the sequins at the collar). Also on this one I figured out to use the 3-stitch zig zag, which worked so much better than the regular zig zag!

Since I didn't get a lot of shots at Burning Man, yesterday I suited up again and played in the neighbor's tree house.

For next year I am going to have a different color for every night. Also, I'm thinking about putting in a much longer 2-way zipper to go from the neck all the way to the back, so that using the porta-potties isn't such a hassle.

This is going to be great for Mardi Gras!

By the way, I totally wear these around my house and when I visit the neighbors. They've gotten used to it.

You can see this on my website! http://madebyjulianne.com/?p=67
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010 07:24:24 PM by julibooli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mibismogger
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009 10:26:26 AM »

There are so many fabrics I would buy if I had a good excuse to. I love your outfit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009 12:00:02 PM »

You look lovely!  How did you make this? Pants blue a basic bodice pattern stitched together?  I am totally thinking of making one for Hallowe'en.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alli.illektro
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009 09:51:35 PM »

do want. im also interested in what pattern you used- if any
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009 10:06:59 PM »

I didn't use any pattern. I just folded the fabric twice (so that there were 4 layers) and laid out a pair of leggings and a T as a ROUGH guide. I wound up taking it in about 2 inches in the back at the waist, because that seam makes my butt look truly fabulous, and put in that long zipper, which I generally wore down. The spandex was surprisingly forgiving to my figure, as well as to any construction flaws. It's insane how easy this was to make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Generic Baby Shoe Sole Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 11/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 14/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 10/16
How to Crochet a Flower Part 3/11
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...