A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,533
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Striped Nautical puppy sweater (practice one)  (Read 3575 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scissorbrit
« on: September 14, 2009 05:57:11 AM »

I have been planning to make a sweater and a tweed-ish professor's coat for a friend's dog, but she hasn't sent me his measurements yet so I did this one as a practice, as I've never done a sweater before and didn't want to send her shotty work that she'd be embarrassed to have her dog wear (he is a stylish dog).  So this one is for my puppy, Joey

heheh in this one she looks pretty miserable, but for the most part, she didn't seem to care about the sweater. I added this gold thread to the anchor in the end, though I don't really know why... It doesn't look very good, and I should have done it with the machine before hand, I'm thinking of pulling it out of the sweater.

I messed up on the stitches in a few places, but hopefully the next one I make will be a lot better.

thanks to all those who replied to my post on how to attach sleeves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009 07:39:46 AM »

Awwwww....
I love the sweater,
but I think I like your puppy better!
Both are just so gosh darn cute!
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mslabelle
Corgis are the sweetest!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009 08:11:08 AM »

That is so cute.  I may have to swipe the idea for our little Gracie. Grin
Your puppy is really cute too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I reject your reality and substitute my own.  --Adam Savage
scissorbrit
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009 10:21:13 AM »

hehe thanks she is such a sweet little dog, too. I am hoping in the next sweater I make to put a little elastic in the waist band so the sweater is a little more baggy. Also I was going to attach those round shoe lace strings to the hood and make a better patch for the back. Like I said it was my first try and not executed that well... Also I was in a hurry to get it done before going out of town and didn't add a lot of little touches I would have liked to. But still didn't turn out too bad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftster2

<y daughter, Bethany Linda

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009 10:51:02 AM »

OMG so cute. How did you make this? I've been struggling to make one for a week. I have a jack russell x poodle puppy Smiley she's in XS clothing, which is sometimes too big for her! So making my own would be fantastic.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
scissorbrit
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009 04:00:43 PM »

Oh my god that dog is soooooo cute!!!! Ahh she's so tiny! Will she get much bigger??  I love that little bow she's freaking adorable!

The sweater was pretty easy to make and I'm not a very experienced seamstress. I took two kinds of fabric and cut out from each a sort of rectangle piece with kind of half circle indentions of where the arms would be. Then used the same pattern to cut another two pieces (both fabrics) and then cut down the middle to make the pieces of the front of the sweater. the hood is two pieces (of each fabric) cut in a sort of half dome shape. the arms are sort of conic pieces (if you see the craftster logo with the cork on it, the cork's body is like the sleeves (folded in half). Then sew the shoulders of the first layer of cloth together (so it looks like a vest but with the side seams open. then attach the sleeves by opening the fabrics of the back and the front pieces (laying them flat but attached at the shoulders) and pin the top of your conic sleeves middle to the shoulder and pin all the way around, sew and sew down the sides of the shirt to attach the back piece and the two front pieces and the length of the sleeve. do it to the other layer of fabric (inner lining of the sweater). the front opening of the shirt of course kept open. for the hood, sew the two pieces of like fabric together on their rounded edges (good sides together), then lay both types of cloth flat over eachother and sew the seams over the whole thing (they will be in the shape of a half moon open on the bottom) also make sure to hide all your seams, i'm sure you know how to do that. then turn the two shirts inside out and lay them on top of eachother to pin them together. insert the hood between the two pieces of fabric with each material touching it's own (i.e the striped part of the hood is laying on the good side of the striped sweater cloth.) pin with the open end of your half moon shape coming out of the neck of the sweater and the top of the hood tucked inside the two pieces. sew all around the seams left open (across the top and the hood and the front pieces that will close the sweater) but don't close the bottom of the shirt. Then turn the whole thing right side out and it should look like a hooded sweater with open cloth at the bottom. then I folded a long piece of fabric and had it sticking out of the bottom of the sweater, and folded the two seams up around it and sewed across the top so the seam is showing but the frayed fabric edges are not. then add velcro to close it! If you want to do patches on the back, you should sew them on the top layer of cloth before you sew everything together. do the same to the sleeves as you did to the bottom hem. (i just rolled them up and did a stitch to keep them rolled.)   

...I hope you actually wanted to know and weren't just being polite and I made you read this long ass explanation. Being a somewhat new sewer it was pretty fun to figure out how the pieces should fit together and turn inside out etc. Show me how it turns out! I'm gonna try a better one soon and hopefully it looks a little more polished. By the way I love your puppy's collar! I want one for my puppy because even with a magenta ribbon leash people keep calling her a "cute dog" with the boy gender words Sad I bet if she had a cute diamond collar and a bow they wouldn't. I can't get over how cute your puppy is!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftster2

<y daughter, Bethany Linda

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009 06:04:44 AM »

Hi, that explanations great, and I really did want to know Cheesy

Thanks, she's called Chloe, she's a jack russell x poodle and she's 4 months old, she's not grown much since we've had her and I doubt she will. I stick bows in her hair using vaseline if it's just for photos. Otherwise I use a teeny tiny dot of glue, which just washes off with warm water.
Here she is in her princess costume, which she wore for a dog show. She came first Cheesy I was so proud lol

THIS ROCKS   Logged
scissorbrit
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009 05:36:29 AM »

God, what a cute dog!!! She is so adorable I love her little brown eyes and wiry fur! hehe Maybe i should stick some bows in my puppy's hair... she kind of looks more like a tomboy though so I dunno if she can pull them off. For some reason Chloe reminds me of my dauschunds back in the states... something about the hungry little eyes and smooth face.

hehe I love her victory photo sitting next to her prizes. absolutely adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
devinedamour
Ashley

If all the raindrops were lemondrops and gumdrops

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010 10:07:15 AM »

Turned out fantastic!  You should check out Pinkaholic.  Your style of dog clothing is similar and it might help get some ideas for designs. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh what a rain it would be
piggletbriss
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010 03:53:39 PM »

Does this have a tutorial anywhere?
And by the way love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't dwell on the past for too long, because good things may be passing you by."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF MODELS: "TOP 100" - Michelle Alves
Sonia Kashuk Highlighter Review
Beauty Products to Borrow from the Boys
VF MODELS: "TOP 100" - Gisele Zelauy
VF MODELS: "TOP 100" - Mariacarla Boscono
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...