A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Eyelets/Interfacing  (Read 623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Princess Dukki
« on: April 14, 2005 11:38:11 PM »

I have never dealt with eyelets before.

Of course, after I bought them for my next project, I realized I needed interfacing, it even told me so on the back of the package. So I felt like an idiot, because I now have no chance to get interfacing before I want to make my project (which is top-secret until it turns out).

Is there ANYTHING I can use instead of interfacing? I really really want to be able to make my top-secret project tomorrow. I don't remember putting that second really there on purpose... weird. But it works, because that's how much I want to do stuff tomorrow. Really really. That much.

Well, if I can't, it's my own idiot fault. There has to be something, though... so could anyone give me some advice on this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What was that for?! Chickens are not your brethren!
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005 07:51:21 AM »

I have never dealt with eyelets before.

Of course, after I bought them for my next project, I realized I needed interfacing, it even told me so on the back of the package.

Huh.  Well, this "interfacing requirement" for eyelets is news to me.  I've used them for projects here and there over the years, and now that I think about it, the fabrics I was putting them into were nearly always backed with interfacing.  But then, I got my eyelets in a big ziploc bag from someone who was cleaning out their supplies, so there were no instructions.

Just from experience, I can tell you that if the fabric is too thin or floppy or sheer or so on, then the eyelet will simply fall out.  That's probably why they tell you to use the interfacing.  I suppose you could just use double (or triple) layers of fabric where you're putting the eyelets in.  But again, I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this whole "eyelet + interfacing" thing...
Hope that helps, at least a little!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
Princess Dukki
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005 10:14:11 AM »

I was thinking of just using multiple layers of fabric, didn't know if it would work, but I thought it might. The fabric I will be using is going to be somewhat flopsy and thin, so I might take some sturdier stuff and just put it between two layers of the other fabric.

Well, it's good to know I'm not entirely screwed.

w00t!

Thanks for the advice! If my first eyelet experience would have flopped, I would have been very sad. Plus I'm very stingy and hate wasting supplies on experimenting. *sigh* It's a curse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What was that for?! Chickens are not your brethren!
Dolores
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005 12:54:30 PM »

Just try sandwiching a layer of canvas-type fabric between your outer & inner layers of fabric(which will give the garment more body, dunno if that's a goos thing for you?)-or even just stick a strip between the layers along the edge you want your eyelates to go on. Bon chance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Street Style Standouts
Must Have Boots For Fall
Threads | T.I. Talks Clothing Line Akoo and Introduces Woman Line
Vivienne Westwood Gold Label - Paris Spring 2014 - Interviews & Runway
The 5 Must-Have Boots For Fall
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...