A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Phoenix Leather Bracers  (Read 2604 times)
Tags for this thread: bracer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hadassah
« on: September 13, 2009 02:35:50 PM »

Greetings again! (Finally...  Tongue)
Well, I have been planning and working on this project for quite a while and I finished it a week or so ago. I wasn't able to get pictures of it until I got my camera back from my Uncle's ranch where it was left.

One of my best friends is really into acting and loves anything lord of the rings-ish, narnia-ish, knight-ish and in general, costuming, so I figured out early what was to be her Christmas gift! What better gift than a pair of bracers (arm guards) for her to fight off legions of evil bad guys! She's also into writing and in July, both of us joined up in a "write a novel in a month" contest. I won't go into much detail about the book writing but her main character was a prince from long ago (fantasy fiction) and his seal and symbol was of a phoenix. That's why there is a phoenix on each bracer.

I got the leather from Leather Unlimited and I also got the puncher to make the holes from there. The leather stamping tools (to make the phoenix) were bought from amazon.

I really enjoyed this project but I had to punch 32 holes in all and my hands were killing me for a week! All right, enough of my rambling, I'll let you go on to the pictures now. Smiley

There are a few more pictures on my blog and a little bit about my friend's book. Here's the link to the blog entry about it. http://texanmusings.blogspot.com/2009/09/secret-project-unleashed.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009 04:09:24 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mibismogger
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009 02:51:06 PM »

Those are very cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
romancedinthepast

Little bit of a huge nerd and loving every minute.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009 03:54:46 PM »

Lovely work! What a lucky girl your friend is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always open to Personal Swaps!

Current Swaps:
Fill a Mug - Crafting!
Gothic & Lolita - Crafting!
Labyrinth - Waiting on Partners Cheesy
Hadassah
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009 04:03:00 PM »

Thank you both!

Lovely work! What a lucky girl your friend is!
She deserves it. Smiley She's such an awesome friend and she had to move away last year. Sad
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009 09:06:17 AM by Hadassah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Casstasstrophe
*may contain awesome

I have a little geek in me. Do you?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009 04:45:52 PM »

Really beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rufous03

feeling dancey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009 08:26:43 PM »

great work!  where did you get the design for the phoenix, or did you make it up?  and did you use any tutorial or instructions for the project?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hadassah
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009 09:02:55 PM »

I just used a google image for the phoenix, and I more or less used a tutorial. I didn't have all the tools I needed for stamping so I had to blaze my own path for a while... Here's the tutorial. It is very step by step if you have all the tools and I would definitely recommend it. I was working under a budget though, so I couldn't get the edger or the stylist.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/27688
I used his recommendation for the vegetable belly (which sounds really weird). I didn't have any trouble with it really, except if/when I do it over, I need to check the stiffness of the section I decide to use to make sure they match. One of my bracers has more give than the other because I didn't really check the stiffness when I cut it out. I also had to modify the buttons (which I think are really neat) because I didn't have a deer that I could go wrestle to make buttons. Tongue

One more recommendation, if someone is working under a budget like me and they are picking out the design they want to put on it, pick something with not so many tight corners! They nearly killed my work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009 02:07:01 PM »

Those are really awesome, and I'm impressed that you figured it out with just some tut help. Leatherwork intimidates me, but I think it's just so cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Hadassah
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009 06:55:30 PM »

Those are really awesome, and I'm impressed that you figured it out with just some tut help. Leatherwork intimidates me, but I think it's just so cool.
That's what I thought at first, leather work intimidated me too. But I studied it, followed the guy's instructions and actually bought some of the stuff he suggested. All you really need is a vague picture in your mind of what you want it to look like, determination and a soundproof room. Ha ha. The stamping was kinda loud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

embercostumer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009 08:19:14 PM »

Awesome work--I love the design! You should dye it an awesome color next!

My brother does leatherwork, and he found that a plastic cutting board on top of a 1ftx1ft marble or granite slab (sometimes counter-top supply companies will give "imperfect" scraps away for free) supported by four car-wash sized sponges is the quietest...with that set up, he can even work on it in his dorm room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
With a Little Help from My Friends Acoustic Guitar Lesson
Things We Said Today Guitar Lesson
Yesterday - Easy Beatles Acoustic Guitar Lesson
How to Play Basic Card Games - Hearts
How to Play Basic Card Games - Solitaire 2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...