A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cabled Calorimetry Headband w/tutorial!  (Read 10976 times)
Tags for this thread: calorimetry , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

natalex
Tutorial Contributor

Gotta find something to do up here in Alaska

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2009 08:18:16 PM »

I got obsessed with the style of Calorimetry headband, so I designed a cabled version. Please let me know if this pattern is unclear. I had to graph it out and it seems easier to make than to explain.

Needles: size 10 circular
Yarn: Lamb's pride bulky (I used two worsted weights together to create the color combo)

Cable pattern will be made on the wrong side of your work.
Cable pattern:
Row 1: K4
Row 2: P4
Row 3: C4F (transfer two stitches to cable needle and set in front of work. Knit the next two stitches then Knit the two stitches from the cable needle)
Row 4: P4
note: I dont make the cable pattern on the outermost corners of the headband because there are so few rows.
CO 72 St.
Row 1: K2, P2
Row 2: K2, P2 to last two stitches. Turn work.
Row 3: Slip 1 purlwise, P1, K2, place marker. P2, K2 to last two stitches. Turn work.
Row 4: Remove marker. Slip 1 purlwise, P3, place marker. Start cable pattern: K4, P4 to marker. Turn work.
Row 5: Remove marker. Slip 1, P3. Place marker. K4, P4 to marker. Turn work.
Row 6: Remove marker. Slip 1, K3. Place marker. P4, C4F to marker. Turn work.
Row 7: Remove marker. Slip 1, K3. Place marker. P4, K4 to next marker. Turn work.
Continue rows 4-7 till there are five groups of four stitches on the outside of the stitch markers (22 stitches). *If you want a narrower headband, knit until there are 18 stitches on the outside of each stitch marker.*
Row 8: When both sides have 22 stitches, start the next row without removing the stitch marker and knit in the cable pattern to the next marker. Turn work.
Row 9: Without removing the stitch marker, continue in the cable pattern to the next marker. Remove marker and knit the next four stitches according to the cable pattern. Turn work. Place marker.
Row 10: Place marker and knit in cable pattern to next marker. Remove marker and knit 4 stitches according to cable pattern. Turn work. Place marker.
Continue Row 10 till there are only two stitches on the outside of both markers.
Row 11: P2, K2 removing all markers
Row 12: K2, P2 removing all markers
Row 13: BO in ribbing pattern (K2, P2)
Weave in ends. Sew on a button to one corner. There should be a hole you can put the button through easily.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009 09:58:51 AM by natalex » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my cooking and craft blog: www.knitnatak.blogspot.com
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009 08:27:39 PM »

oooohh cabled calorimetry! LOVE!
WHY WHY WHY cant I knit dammit!?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
Mibismogger
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009 09:08:18 PM »

that is so cute! Haha, I cant knit either
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
miyoko79

Sigh...it's too true.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009 10:41:34 PM »

Lovely! I have made about half a dozen Calorimetries, but I think your pattern is an improvement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It turns out they do make hats in my size. They are called "BUCKETS" and they sell them at the hardware store."
littlebluegirl
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009 06:27:32 AM »

This is really nice.  Thank you for posting the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hellz Bellz
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009 04:08:04 AM »

OOOooooh that is so pretty!
I will have to have a lash at this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would dig a thousand holes,to lie next to you...I would dig a thousand more if I needed too <3
deLadyBex
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009 02:14:33 PM »

Smileyhow nice to have this great pattern I like the way it gets narrower in the back of the head to stay on. I am making a few of these thanks for the downlad and the gift of the pattern. I hope you get this back in kindness along the way for sharing with any of us who download it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natalex
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009 06:09:51 PM »

I'm happy to share this pattern. Please post any photos of your versions, as I'm interested in the color choices others make.
-Natasha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jferhar
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012 06:00:11 PM »

Huh I'm rather new at using a circular needle and I'm having some difficulties understanding the markers.  When your pattern states to remove a marker, does that mean to take it off the circular needle, or transfer it to the working needle?  In my last attempt (among many), I find that I'm not leaving any stitches unknitted, so that the width of the band is nearly equal across all stitches.  I think this is happening, because I remove the marker (Rows 4-7), add the new marker when specified, and knit (&purl) until I reach the new marker full circle...all stiches worked.  Please help!!! I do so want to make this beautiful headband. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natalex
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013 11:06:37 PM »

It's been a very long time since I've made this headband, but I'll try and help you. First off, this pattern uses a circular needle, but the headband isn't knitted in the round. It's still knit back and forth as though you were using straight needles. I just have an easier time doing cables when I'm using a circular needle. I wasn't sure if you were trying to knit this in the round.
As I reread this pattern, I'm noticing an error between rows 3 and 4. At the beginning of row 4 I instruct you to remove a marker when I didn't tell you yet to place that particular maker. Row 4 should read "Slip 1 purlwise, P3, place marker. Start cable pattern: K4, P4 to marker. Turn work." By the middle of row 4, if you stop and look at your work you should have two markers on either end, both 6 stitches in from each end.
When the pattern states "remove marker," I mean for you to take the marker off the left-hand needle, work the next four stitches, and then place the same marker on to the right-hand needle. With each row you knit, the farther in the stitch markers go toward the center. The markers are there so that you don't accidentally go too far on each row. This will create the tapered shape to the headband.
I apologize for the delay. I haven't been on craftster for a while. I hope my explanation makes sense. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'll check back in a few days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Denim Care Tips to Preserve Your Jeans
Kate Mara Talks Kate Young For Target
How to Dress Like Emma Watson at the 2013 MTV Movie Awards
What To Wear To 2013 Coachella Music Festival
5 Ways To Wear A Jean Jacket
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...