A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dressform  (Read 1256 times)
Tags for this thread: dress_form , papier_mache  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

groundedpidgeon
« on: September 12, 2009 08:17:40 PM »

I needed to come up with a way to display my scarves and neckwarmers, so I made a dressform from chickenwire and papier mache and I'm really excited about it!

That's a really blurry picture, but it's my boyfriend holding the form when it was just chickenwire. Actually, I think it's still missing a shoulder.

And that's the front after a few layers of papier mache. The chest ended up getting really flattened, but I did something about that later.

And that's from the side, taken at the same time as the last one.

And that's what I did about the flattened chest. It's an old bra that didn't fit me well anymore, stuffed with poly-fil. The bra was papier mache'd over.

And that's the finished dressform, after adding a layer of brownish paper towel stuff, and then putting a shirt on it.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Sorry for the bad pictures, they were taken with my camera phone.

So what do you guys think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Im Sew Silly
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If you're crafty and ya know it, clap your hands....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009 09:02:37 PM »

really nice job! i am needing to make something similar for showing my pieces as well. did you have any trouble with the wire, like it being sharp or being hard to mold into whatever shape?
having the paper mache to stick to it?
any extra tips you can share would be awesome.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Exodus 35:35 (NIV)~ He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple, and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers - all of them skilled workers and designers

Current Swaps:
Poppet vs Amigurumi
Mibismogger
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009 09:05:46 PM »

Impressive, I'm always looking into new ways to make dressforms, I need one but wont spend $100 on one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
groundedpidgeon
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009 09:33:42 PM »

As far as molding the wire, you probably wanna wear some sort of gloves. It was actually easier than I expected, but it is kind of hard on your fingers.
And to make it easier to get the papier mache to stick, I recommend wrapping the wire form in either tissue paper or paper towel or something similar that you can just wrap around the shape just so the little holes are covered when you start putting the strips of newspaper on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingnymph
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010 01:35:46 AM »

I made one of these with a T-shirt and duct tape wrapped around my body to get an exact fit rather than chicken wire.

Funny though, because of taping my boobs it turned out flat chested and I used a shabby old bra too!

PS. If you try the t-shirt and tape method have a friend handy, I got stuck half way as I couldn't move and had to wake my sis at midnight to finish it off and cut me out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Do You Pull Off a Crop Top? Ask Jessica Alba
Four Hot Trends From Milan Fashion Week
Diane Kruger Found Her Spirit Animal - Find Yours!
4 Top Outerwear Trends For Fall
4 Parisian Inspired Looks For Fall
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...