A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ach! My new dirndl, and a question!  (Read 5791 times)
Tags for this thread: dirndle , apron  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 12, 2009 04:19:22 PM »

I wanted to make a dirndl for various events coming up, and after a bit of research made one from a Folkwear pattern using black, red & white.  It looks like that is something used in the Black Forest region (could be mistaken.)  Anyway, I think it looks cute and want to make another. 

I ran out of trim and need to add more, and might take up the apron a bit with some pintucks- do you think that would look better?

See the missing trim?

Yes, the top button is not perfectly centered.  May or may not fix that.  Also, imagine the bows are tied neatly here.  Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it! 

Some questions..

Have you ever made a dirndl or a costume representative of your heritage?  and
I am thinking of making a modified, modernish version to wear for everyday- would that be crazy?  I have seen similar drindl-style dresses in the window of Betsey Johnson.  How would I do that, and what colors, styles, etc would you use?  Smiley

So, dirndl for everyday- too crazy?  Or cute?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009 08:49:01 PM by sparrowowl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladybags

Mom to beloved rescue dogs: Max, Missy and Josie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009 04:34:30 PM »

I think your dirndl is very pretty!  If you did some horizontal tucks in the apron then you could see more of the bottom of the dress; I think that would be good.  As far as making one to wear everyday:  I have visited Austria and Germany and bought several dirndls while there, and wore them to work back here in the states.  I didn't care if they looked "costumish" by our standards, I thought they were cute and I felt good while wearing them.  In fact, the two I bought while in Graz Austria in 1976 (I was only in my early 20's) did not fit me after years of marriage and one baby, so instead of getting rid of them, I cut them down and dressed two of my porcelain dolls in dirndls so I still have the wonderful memories of those outfits!
Good job! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mibismogger
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009 04:37:33 PM »

I'd shorten the apron a few inches, but otherwise its perfect
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
BigMamaBird
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009 05:24:15 PM »

Lovely!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009 06:30:44 PM »

So adorable!  I agree that the apron would look even cuter a bit short so you could see more of the skirt trim and have a nice black edge all around the apron to show it off more, too.  I think a dirdl-esque shirt would be super cute.  A riff on a peasant blouse kind of thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wendy-bird
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009 07:25:13 PM »

Oh, I'm jealous...I have no time to go to such events, and I bet your outfit'll be a big hit.
I have made a 50s dirndl dress, and have to say, if I were you, I would make a jumper just like you've got! I never wear the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009 07:23:47 AM »

Thanks all!

Ok, I will certainly shorten it with some cute tucks.  Smiley

I love the stories about dirndls.  I am def. going to make one that is simpler and wearable for everyday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009 08:55:46 AM »

Definitely pin tuck the apron.  Pin tucks always add a beautiful vintage looking touch, and it would show off your trim so well.  Really nicely done.  I've actually made that dirndl before, a few years, and a few pounds ago.  I did mine out of sage green linen, and used my embroidery machine to embroider all around the neckline and hem in a soft buttery yellow.  Made the blouse out of a butter yellow rayon, with sage flowers.  Not exactly Black Forest, but more lovely spring maiden.  :-)  I wore it out to lunch with a close male friend.  He demanded we stop back at my place after lunch so I could change, saying that he couldn't possibly form coherent thoughts or sentences while looking at me in the dress.  Mission accomplished.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
kcfirecracker
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009 11:59:34 AM »

I have never made a dirndl, but I have a green dirndl that I wear often in everyday wear. Totally comfortable, Its hunter green with lots of embroidery atop, so I just wear a black T-shirt under it, with my high top chucks. Seems to "dress it down" a bit.

I think the one you made looks great, and I don't think the missing trim in the back is a big deal. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Are you taking orders, or are you taking over?" -The Clash
InShambles
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009 12:51:42 PM »

I love this, I am working on a blue dirndl at the moment. I think wearing a dirndl for everyday wear would be really cute and fun. Who cares if other people think it's weird.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist - http://wists.com/InShambles
Art + Music = Happiness
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Professional Business Card in Photoshop Cs3 Cs4
How to Remove Acne Spots in Photoshop
How to Enhance Breast Size in Photoshop
How to Make a Little Planet Effect in Photoshop
How to Make a Multi Colored Eye in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...