A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,356
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Child Abuse Make Up - graphic images - image heavy  (Read 25697 times)
Tags for this thread: makeup , activism  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rinkin
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009 07:59:00 AM »

Unfortunately, working in emergency healthcare, I've seen some of these and worse. Accurate, heartwrenching as the real thing, and it's a noble cause. Kudos.

(And I love your bully! Glad to see such a loved looking daughter and dog)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Le Mieux
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009 09:58:07 AM »

ive got to comment on these...they really are upsetting - which shows how great your skills are. the first one, the iron burn, i totally wasnt expecting, and then it sunk in how children are abused with so many different implements of torture...it really got me thinking and i want to thank you for that.

congrats on an amazing and thought-provoking project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
Musefreak

I belong to you- Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009 10:50:36 AM »

wow, it looked so real and i even had goosebumps when i took a second look at it Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't resist "The Resistance" Cheesy
-
my Wist
-
Blog

interested in personal swaps
Cossiegirl
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009 01:19:09 PM »

Juneapostrophe - thank you for pointing out my error, normally i'm quite good with punctuation but this time I think I was so into the make up and what I was trying to say with it that I just didn't notice, no offence was taken.

Pinkhearts - thank you for saying Serena is beautiful and I am glad to have invoked that emotion in you.

ukulady - yes I agree, way better  Smiley

Lo{ve} - again thank you for the comments, I am glad it looks realistic for the message I am trying to convey

Pixieval - My daughter is very compassionate and did get a bit upset when I explained that not all families were full of love and warmth, but she took this seriously and helped me to make some poignant images that have proved to be thought provoking.  I am sorry that you are used to seeing these kind of marks on people.

Mienna - I wanted it to be powerful, I wanted people to wince at the pictures, I wanted people to discuss the problems that these pictures illustrate and I believe I have done that, and thank you for the comment on the wonderful make up.

Seraphina-de-Sangre - thank you for comments about my daughter but I sadly have to say that this really is just the tip of the iceberg for some children, I wanted to get this right, but this meant research, research that was unsettling and nerve jangling - I could have gone further with this but I chose not to so as to not upset my daughter too much, the facts on child abuse are a disgrace to all nations, I am UK based and I know that many of the Crafster gals are US based and frankly neither country does enough to protect children (sorry to get on the soapbox).

orkibe3 - I hope your husband has since defreaked by reading the post properly Smiley

MareMare - I'm glad you found this interesting and I'm also glad that you have a place for this on your board.

Laureny - I'm pleased to hear that your brother is on the mend, and thank you for saying that the make up is realistic - I wanted it to be and from the wonderful comments I have received from everyone on here it seems that I have achieved what I set out to do.

rinkin - thank you for your comment, and yes I am sure you have seen a lot worse as you work in the frontline, as I said to Seraphina this is the tip of the iceberg for what some children suffer. I am going to assume that you are States based because you said my dog was a bully, over here in the UK we tend to call them Staffies (as in Staffordshire bull terrier), and yes both child and dog are well loved and love each other  Smiley

Le Mieux - I am both happy and sad that this upset you, sad because I hate to make anyone feel bad but happy because it has provoked a reaction in you.  You are right about how many ways their are to torture children, and for some of these children torture is exactly the right way to describe their lives.

Musefreak - If I have given you goosebumps even after you have seen the images and know that the bruises and cuts are created purely from eyeshadows, wax and fake blood then I have truly done what I wanted to, thank you for your comment.

I know that most of the people on this forum are States based so I don't know if you will have heard about a very sad case of child abuse we had in the UK about a little boy called Baby P, he suffered the most obscene cruelty at the hands of his "parents" and I use that term very loosely but it could have been stopped as this little lad was known to both the Police and Social Services but for whatever reason he was not removed from his parents, everytime I look at his little face on the news my heart breaks knowing what he went through.  Strange thing to say but this is actually one of my favourite pieces of work I have done because everytime I show it people or post it on a forum, I get comments some good, some bad but to me the most important aspect is that it provokes a reaction and therefore people are thinking and talking about child abuse.  I would like to believe that one day we will stop this happening to children.

Sian
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009 01:20:06 PM »

Wow. Like others who have posted here, I applaud the realism of your work- you did a very convincing job with that. Where I grew up, those kinds of marks were not uncommon on kids- sadly, I can tell you, from experience- you got those dead-on. The "iron burn" was particularly startling- you got the tones down pat. I do not envy you the research that you had to do- I've noticed that among "normal" people, these things are even more wrenching than they are to survivors, when they first encounter them. They just....they can't conceive of it. And that's the way that it should be! (Adult survivors have a tendency to compare scars, by way of greeting, if that makes any sense...) Thank you for doing this work!

K, have to go wipe my eyes now.... Cry
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009 01:26:51 PM by leopardstripes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009 02:54:00 PM »

Wow...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
RachOfTheJungle
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009 03:30:40 PM »

I have to agree with the chorus of voices saying how powerful and disturbing the images are, due to the realism, and I must also echo the voices saying that it's wonderful you are using your talents to make people pay attention to something decidedly not wonderful.

Out of sight, out of mind: it's great that this issue brought so visibly to the surface, not to make people disturbed or upset but to make people remember.

I work with children and each year attend a seminar on how to detect signs of abuse. It's deeply saddening but something everyone should be trained to do.

Good luck with your work, I know it will send a powerful message!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
greenfaerie
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009 04:29:55 PM »

Great work!  She's such a great actress, too. Cheesy

Btw, want's should be wants, I believe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009 04:34:19 PM »

Your daughter was a wonderful model.  The look in her eyes made me cry.   You are a great make up artist, those bruises and cuts and burns look amazing, though I'd never ever ever want to see injuries like that for real on a child.  Well done!  Thank you for bringing more awareness to this issue.  Children are people to, and don't deserve to be mistreated in anyway Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Samantha.Arch
I want to sing another melody, so different from the one I always sing...

Live Love Learn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009 05:04:38 PM »

This made me cry.  Cry Wonderful job.

Thank you so very much for doing this. You are an amazing make-up artist and like many have said before, your daughter is so beautiful.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lStay crafty|
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cooking Mac and Cheese With Kids
Rotisserie Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe
Fire Up The BBQ!
The Best Burger
BBQ Tips: Burger Meat, Condiments
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...