A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MY SEWING MACHINE STOPPED WORKING!!  (Read 1344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

talkingpoptarts
« on: September 12, 2009 09:01:55 AM »

IN THE MIDDLE OF A STITCH. Sad it just stopped, and the bottom thread doesnt get picked up my the needle anymore, the bottom string  is lifeless.
ive tried everything.
and i dont wanna take it to a repair person because they cost too much
help pl0x!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes solutions aren't so simple - sometimes goodbyes the only way.
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009 06:05:40 AM »

Try re-threading the entire thing first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talkingpoptarts
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009 07:16:47 AM »

i already tried that. i even made my grandma take a look at it. and she old and knows sewing machines. nothing makes it start again. but i returned it yesterday and im thinking of getting something like this

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_02094042000P?keyword=sewing+machine&sid=S-on-Kx20k061224x0000002

or this

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_02094043000P?keyword=sewing+machine&sid=S-on-Kx20k061224x0000002
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes solutions aren't so simple - sometimes goodbyes the only way.
BT
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009 09:27:11 AM »

JMHO, but I think you'd be better off with a heavy-duty used machine from a reputable sewing machine dealer. I don't trust these new $100 machines with plastic parts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009 09:14:09 AM »

PLEASE don't buy a new machine.  My sewing machine broke a few months ago--it was a Singer from around 2004 and it had plastic gears and parts inside that I didn't know about.  It's better to look for an older heavy duty machine because sewing machines just aren't made the way they were--even the new expensive ones are still made with plastic parts nowadays.  I was told by a repairman I would have to spend over $600 for a quality new machine.  Check EBay for a used heavy duty machine--you can find a good one for under $100.  You should look for machines from around the 50's or 60's with all metal parts inside. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
soorawn
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009 10:33:44 AM »

You don't want to take it to the repair person but are willing to pay one hundred quid for one of those?  Not worth it, really.  If your machine is a quality one, take it to repair.  If not, follow the advice of the people that have already spoken and buy something durable.  And first of all, check it all through again.  There must be a reason why the machine stopped to begin with.  Have you taken the bobbin case out to clean it?  It might be just a nest of thread catching it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
littlefawnpug

I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009 04:06:25 AM »

Try looking in your local craigslist for one, or post an add in craigslist.  My sewing machine broke a good while ago.  But, being on a tight budget I couldnt go out and buy a new one.  So, I kept searching craigslist.  Long story short I ended up getting one for free and the lady also gave me her sewing table for free.   Grin  Its so lovely, I was grinning ear to ear all the while hubby drove us to pick it up and on the drive home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn to crochet or knit?  I have a ton of extra crochet hooks & circular knitting needles.  Will throw in some pattern books and yarn for anyone interested in a swap.
xangomommy
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009 10:39:26 AM »

If you have a freecycle in your area, you might try there, too. In the last year I've gotten 6 sewing machines off freecyle --some had issues but the other half was fine. I just received one 2 days ago and the owner said she couldn't use it anymore. I spent no more than 30 minutes tinkering with it and it now works great.  Oh, the ones that had issues, I freecycled with a description of the problem and those willing to give it a go took their chances with them.

Goo luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Mix Asian Flavoured Duck Confit
How to Do a Crab in Black Bean Sauce
How to Cook Yakitori Chicken
How to Cook Chicken Chilli Ramen
How to Cook Gai Yang
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...