A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zombie Makeup Tutorial (pic heavy and bloody!!) NEW UPDATES 2012 !!!!  (Read 48324 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , tutorial , zombie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lippsstix
Addicted to the Craft

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2009 03:07:42 AM »

ZOMBIE

(* CHECK BELOW FOR NEW UPDATES 9/12/2012 * ) !!!!!

Material list:
~ Liquid Latex (Ben Nye is the product I used - any liquid latex will do) around $10
~ Scissors, pointed spatula, tweezers
~ Creme Based Makeup (I used Ben Nye creme colors) (CR-1 Red, CL-19- Blue, CL-3 Green, CL-6 Goldenrod,) ( approx. $5 per color) -
                                 you can also purchase $1 creme makeup from halloween stores or the pre-made halloween kits work !
~ Artificial blood ($ 5= small quantity or $ 8= DIY large quantity* recipe below
~ Tissue Paper / toilet paper
~ "Zombie Skin/ Flesh" This came in a Halloween makeup set (*optional)
~ Sponges
~ Makeup/Paint brushes

I decided to do a green-like zombie for this tutorial to show color variances, you can choose to do more realistic and/or have decomposing skin with blueish-gray or yellow tinted..... truly it is up to you and your zombie alter ego  Roll Eyes

~Below tutorial is applied to my hand for smaller area application below if further pictures of complete zombie makeup on my face.

Step 1)
Take your liquid latex and apply thin layer to desired area.
 (disclaimer: test patch on inner arm to see if you are allergic to latex (see gelatin recipe below if allergic!)....and do not apply in heavily hairy areas or near eye)

Step 2)
Hand rip* a piece of tissue paper (1 ply toilet paper works best) when 1st layer of latex is almost dry place tissue paper on latex area.
*Ripped tissue will blend more evenly into your skin as apposed to a straight cut line.

Step 3)
Apply thicker layer of latex on top of tissue paper and first latex layer. Let dry completely !!!
~a hair dryer on low or cool setting will help speed up the drying process

Step 4)

Carefully take scissors and make small incision marks on top of dried latex. Messy is better - too perfect and it will look fake. Roll edges for "scabby skin" effect. ( If doing this makeup on someone other than yourself - please use a pair of tweezers to pick at latex instead of cutting with scissors Wink... )

Step 5)
Mix your red and blue makeup together to create a deep Burgundy color - or you can buy a deep red color (blood red CL-14) and skip the mixing process ....with a small paint brush (makeup brush) apply into the depth of the skin cuts.

Step 6)
Apply your "skin" color on top of latex .... dab with a fully color loaded sponge - be careful not to get color into the red cuts (if so recolor the red after the skin color is on.)

Step 7)
Take your fake blood and pour slowly into the small cuts and carefully let it drip in natural direction.
I chose drying blood for the sake of my friends and costume -to prevent blood transference.

Step 8.
Apply any makeup around mouth, eyes, neck, etc. and do any touch-ups . Powder with either a neutral set powder or a similar color eyeshadow. Add any extra blood

Step 9)
Volia !! You are finished and you make a bloody good zombie !!!

*Between steps 3 and 4 you may choose to use the zombie flesh/skin (greenish color mask)... i use this in more sensitive and hairy areas ...due to the non adhesive form- it has the consistency and application of a clay mask.

Hints and Tips
~ To remove your latex creation- apply a hot wet cloth directly on latex area and allow the heat to loosen and soften latex...it should easily peel off.
~ Blood covers up over mistakes
~ There are no mistakes in zombies
~ rougher the edges the more realistic the latex will look, and will blend easier into your skin.
~ to appear more of a slimy zombie use Vaseline or glycerin *cheap alternative-regular dish soap and apply light layers on top of makeup (not around eyes!!!)
~ use powders/eyeshadows to look like a dry zombie

Mint Chocolate Blood Recipe
~ 1/2 cup Chocolate syrup, 1 cup Karo syrup, 10 drops red food coloring, 1-2 drops of blue food coloring, and some mint flavoring - makes a sweet tasting blood recipe..... beware this is edible so it needs to be refrigerated until application...then its a sticky, icky treat !!! *perfect for in your mouth look*

Thank you for checking out my first tutorial !!!

Here is the recipe I use for making prosthetic gelatin: (this is a nice cheap alternative to latex and best to use if your allergic to latex !)

PROSTHETIC GELATIN RECIPE

4tbsp - Glycerine (find in first aid section)
4tbsp- Knox Unflavored Gelatin (about 4 pkgs.) - find in the same section as jello.
4tbsp - water

*4 drops - green food color * 2 drops - yellow food color (creepy zombie skin color) * I used this in photo above !
*5 drops- red food coloring *2 drops -blue food coloring (to create bloody color) * I used this in photo below !

Put into microwavable safe container (glass bowl) - heat in intervals of 7 seconds until all contents are melted and then mix with a Popsicle stick.

BE CAREFUL - IT WILL BE HOT !!!! Please let cool down and test before applying to bare skin.

Using popsicle stick spread onto skin, hair, where ever you want - this gel can be dissolved in hot water to remove (especially for hair) or to reactivate. You can also pour this into any mold* -place in fridge and let set up in minutes!

In this photo - I used it for the blood on my zipper face costume ...

* I will be posting a new tutorial on how to make your own molds to pour gelatin/latex into! This way you can make your own inexpensive halloween prosthetics !

LINK for making your own prosthetic molds here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=414177.msg4894994#msg4894994

THANK YOU !!!
xoxo LIPPSSTIX
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012 12:46:45 PM by Lippsstix » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are footprints on the moon!  )0(
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009 06:33:10 AM »

Very clear and helpful tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
pjhamel
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009 06:40:09 PM »

This is great. I never thought of using tissue paper to add texture. I will have to try that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will happily do personal swaps for beads, buttons, and fat quarters!

My Pinterest
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009 06:56:52 PM »

This is just what I needed! We've been invited to a party with a zombie theme (zombify your last year's costume) and my costumes have always relied on my sewing and gluing abilities.  No special make-up abilities AT ALL here! 

Thanks SO much for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009 03:08:01 AM »

wow, awesome tute, thanks SO much. I'm bookmarking this for next year (a group of friends are going to dress as their long term RP chars and one is a half rotten corpse, guess who got asked to help with the make-up)

ETA
Could you recommend a brand of creme colour? Your stuff looks amazing and when i do it to my friends i'd hope to get it at least close to looking that good
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009 08:06:22 AM by Selnith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
ZoeZombie
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009 05:27:38 PM »

What creme makeup did you use? In your supplies list you mentioned the same exact colors that I got from walmart, and the zombie flesh stuff I got from walmart. But they're the 1 dollar ones, and I've been working with them today, and have yet to achieve a color like the one you got?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lippsstix
Addicted to the Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009 12:03:23 PM »

Sorry I'm such a dork ...I forgot to post colors !!! ahhh!!!  Roll Eyes

The makeup used from this tutorial came from my stage makeup kit and most of this kit contains Ben Nye products.

The blood color I mixed : fire red (CL-13) and blue (CL-19) to make the burgundy color.
For a cheaper alternative you can just buy blood red (CL-14) which is a similar alternative

the greenish color is : Green (CL-3) and Goldenrod (CL-6) with a small amount of Yellow (CL-5)mixed together but not smoothly there are some chunks where some yellow show. The one thing about Ben Nye greens that I have discovered in the long time I've worked with makeup....is the fact that it dries up quickly and as soon as you use it it feels dry and crumbles up so i mix some vaseline or glycerin or other creme makeups to get the color to a smoother texture.  This time I bought a bit of creme green makeup from walmart and mixed all 4 together....seems a bit crazy ...but sometimes its what you have to do....

Hope this helps and btw the ben nye colors should only cost you up to $5/ each... hope this helps !!!

Thanks again for viewing !!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are footprints on the moon!  )0(
Lippsstix
Addicted to the Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009 12:20:21 PM »

also the 6 color palette that comes in the zombie kit at walmat I mixed the yellow and green from it also to use as the foundation .... here is another zombie makeup I did in college a couple of years ago, using the same method and different colors this time !!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lechaton

yes that is an at-at.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009 06:01:55 PM »

I love what you've done here. I did this for a zombie Sarah Palin costume last year and my boyfriend at the time went as a Zombie Venkman (from Ghostbusters). Worked wonders.

Little tip for those allergic to latex (like myself) you can sub the liquid latex with thin layers of Elmer's glue. Smiley

I also just noticed the hole-y bit you did on your arms in the bottom picture, looks awesome. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We won't stop until somebody calls the cops and even then we'll start again and just pretend that nothing ever happened. - Kimya Dawson.

http://airn.livejournal.com
http://www.wists.com/lechaton
http://www.shelfari.com/erinw

i'm all over the internet.
MamaVSoap
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009 03:16:15 AM »

I used to do this without the tissue paper. I love this technique!!! I used it last night and scared a few of the little kids. I also heard a few "Are you OK"s from the parents.

Here's the pic. The creepy face is mine. Only the gashes were added:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009 03:18:50 AM by MamaVSoap - Reason: Added pic. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katie Kitamura on Her Novel Gone to the Forest
Kristin Harmel on Writing The Sweetness of Forgetting
Kristin Harmel on Her Inspiration For The Sweetness of Forgetting
Cassandra Clare on Her City of Lost Souls Launch Event
Tinsley Mortimer on Her New Book, Southern Charm
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...