A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,905
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two Elizabethan Gowns for the 2009 Renfaire Season. (Image Obese)  (Read 12361 times)
Tags for this thread: renaissance , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

romancedinthepast

Little bit of a huge nerd and loving every minute.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2009 09:50:16 PM »

Hello everyone!!

I wanted to share two gowns I made this past year for the 2009 (and most likely part of 2010) renfaire season. I actually made these back in April but I just haven't really had the time to post images anywhere until now. These dresses are steadily getting looser on my friend and I as we loose weight so we're hoping to get as much use out of them as we can. My dress is the Rust and Blue, and my friend Amber's is the Gold and Scarlet. Neither one are 100% historically accurate, but rather, Historically inspired in an effort to use stash. I think the only thing I purchased for this was thread, some buckram, and some feathers for my hat. These dresses were originally made for the Georgia Renfaire season (where we live) but we decided to travel to some out of state faires and have had a fantastic time. The two that these pictures are from are the Kentucky Highlands Renaissance Faire, and the Tennessee Renaissance Faire, both of which are beyond awesome and we highly recommend.

I have wanted a doublet style gown for a long, long time and I've had a pair of 1930's mink coat collars that, while having fallen apart quite a while ago, were still in good enough shape to be re purposed. I'm a huge huge fan of recycling at all costs. I was gifted these by a friend and I couldn't just see throwing them out, especially since they're about 70 years older than me. I cut them into strips and used them as part of the trimming on my gown. The sleeves are tie-on, and the whole thing is worn over a corset, bumroll, petticoat, hoopskirt (store bought, I haven't made an H/A hoop yet, but I like that the hoop I have now gives me a nice shape and washes out fine after faire is over). The redwork partlet I'm wearing in some of the pictures I embroidered entirely by hand. I love it so much and it's my favorite piece in the costume. The rust fabric was given to me, and the blue silk I got at a home decor fabric mart in Atlanta in the remnant bin for $2.30 a yard. There are about 3,000 glass and plastic pearls sewn to the dress, though most of these pictures were taken prior to their attachment.

Amber's dress is Venitian inspired. The gold fabric was given to me by the same person who gave me the rust for my dress, and the scarlet embroidered came from the same interior decor shop clearance table. We picked this dress style for a few reasons. First, it's easier for her to get into herself. Secondly, it looks less like what you see a lot of at Faire. The bodice is boned for stability, but it still wrinkles at this point because of her having lost weight and the dress not fitting like it should anymore. The ruff is hand sewn to the collar and all detail work, beads and trim, including the French Hood, were done by Amber. She wears her dress over a corset, bumroll, and hoopskirt.

Thank you!!

Edited to add: Both my bodice and Amber's were constructed from Simplicity pattern 3782, but I altered both of them so much for fit and style that they're really not like the original pattern anymore. The skirts, sleeves, and accessories were made either by self draft or from various costuming pattern books (Period Costume for Stage and Screen, The Tudor Tailor, Patterns of Fashion, etc).

The two of us with a friend before we headed out to the Tennessee renfaire for the day.

Amber and myself with several friends, including Ik, King of the Trolls who is just a plain out awesome guy. We loves him so very much!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009 08:53:36 AM by romancedinthepast » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always open to Personal Swaps!

Current Swaps:
Fill a Mug - Crafting!
Gothic & Lolita - Crafting!
Labyrinth - Waiting on Partners Cheesy
Mibismogger
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009 09:55:18 PM »

Those are friggin epic
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
soccerfren
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009 11:58:34 PM »

Oh MY gosh! You put all other renfaire dresses i've seen to shame!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

floatingmoon
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009 03:28:15 AM »

Nice dresses!! I wish i can sew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009 05:48:59 AM »

Fabulous work... the detail on each is incredible. The last photo showing the back of your dress is so beautiful. I'm in awe!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009 06:32:07 AM »

Beautiful!  It's so nice seeing someone not doing the "wench look"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009 09:35:01 AM »

These are beautiful! and gorgeous on you girls...nice work. I wonder if they have events like that up here in the Northwest?  I would so love to go and maybe get involved! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
hawkeye

i love my horse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009 10:52:28 AM »

Gorgeous work! I love that you were able to re-use something too. Smiley Especially with gowns like these the $$ can really add up. Were you terribly hot in them at the AtlantaFaire??  I hope I will be able to go next year, though the thought of wearing so many layers at the beginning of summer scares me  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeowulfsBride
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009 11:16:10 AM »

I wonder if they have events like that up here in the Northwest?  I would so love to go and maybe get involved! 

OT, I know, but there are several renaissance faires in the Northwest. I'm not sure where you are, but there's a list of faires by state here: http://www.renfaire.com/Sites/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
romancedinthepast

Little bit of a huge nerd and loving every minute.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009 11:20:51 AM »

Thank you so much everyone for your compliments!!

Sunflower Smiles: Go to www.renaissancefestival.com, they have a listing of just about every Renaissance festival - large and small - in the country. Most states have one or two : ) If you've never been to one, they are a lot of fun.

Hawkeye: We do get hot, yes, but I make costumes for a living and do a lot of historical reenactment and competitions at conventions so I'm used to big heavy garments. It's all about taking precautions. If it's too hot I leave the sleeves to just hang, and leave off certain accesssories. Drinking lots and lots of water is a must and taking breaks in the shade is helpful. I carry a parasol with me and lots of women who frequent faires have "Bodice Chillers" which is this nifty little metal tube you fill with water, freeze and then insert into your bodice between your "ladies" (I like to put mine between my chemise and my corset to keep it from burning my skin) and it will keep your core cool. Hoop skirts are a huge huge help, if you sway back and forth they create an updraft, kind of like built in A/C. If you're ever at faire and you see ladies doing the "Renfaire Sway," that's what it's for. I play a variety of characters depending on what Faire I'm at. In the super hot months I prefer to do things like Fairies or Medieval gowns which don't involve so many layers. I will say this though, Atlanta's season starts in Mid April and it's still fairly cool out by that point. It doesn't start getting really hot until mid to late May.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always open to Personal Swaps!

Current Swaps:
Fill a Mug - Crafting!
Gothic & Lolita - Crafting!
Labyrinth - Waiting on Partners Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Potatoes O Brien Recipe
The Rookie Cook: How to Make Cole Slaw
Toaster Scrambles - Food Review
Cajun Crab Etouffee
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...