A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,525
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweet Sixteen Party  (Read 2987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 14, 2005 06:25:27 PM »

This isn't a wedding or shower... but I didn't know where else to put it.

I'm turning 16 next November! I want to have an eclectic tea party in a garden where everyone dresses up in fancy, lacy clothes with gloves. But hello... it's NOVEMBER and I live in New Jersey!

What did you/ do you want to do for your sweet sixteen?

EDIT: I just saw that there's a party forum! That's new right... please tell me I'm not that blind. Could someone move this for me? Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005 02:38:15 PM by candycanechild » THIS ROCKS   Logged
elecbunni

Apparently, communists make the best cigars...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005 08:21:54 PM »

Wow, I feel old Smiley Way back when I turned 16, my friends threw me my one and only true surprise party. It was fun.

I think a fancy tea party would be great!! Even if it's cold outside you could decorate your living or dining room. You might check out some of Martha Stewart's entertaining books. Any library or bookstore will have TONS of books about entertaining that might give you some great ideas!

Have fun planning Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. - Maya Angelou
vintagechick
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005 06:21:36 PM »

How fun is that!!!  I have done several tea parties and they are a great deal of fun!  As for location, I would definitely suggest your own home.  It's no doubt a place where you feel comfortable and it certainly fits your budget!  In order to create a garden atmosphere, I would place several plants around the room, as well as fresh flowers.  If budget is an issue, pick up several bunches of mixed flowers at your local grocery store.  They're usually good quality for this sort of thing and come at a reasonable price. 

Use your  best table linens.  If you don't have any, they can be purchased at thrift stores or you can make them using yardage from your local fabric store.  You can dress up plain linens by using iron-on transfers
(Parisian theme=Eiffel tower, etc...just use your imagination). 

Also use your best china.  If you don't have any, you can also purchase tea cups and saucers at a thrift store.  Just today I went garage saling with a friend and I bought a tea pot, sugar bowl, creamer, 6 cups adn saucers for $10!!!  Remember that not everything has to match.  If you buy them, just try to stay in the same color family and your table will look great!  Another thing to do is to have everyone bring their own cup and saucer and tell the story behind it.  I do this at every tea because everyone enjoys it so much.  There's been stories such as "My grandmother gave it to me before she died", "It was a Mother's Day gift", "I bought it for this party", etc.  You really get a chance to see another side of people.

For food, you have tons of options.  I like to have about 3 savories (non-sweet items) and 4 sweets at each tea, for a nice variety.  I *always* serve something chocolate, such as chocolate dipped strawberries (probably not a good idea in November), chocolate mint brownies, etc.  I like to serve chicken salad (with sliced grapes, chunked walnuts, celery, etc.) on miniature crescent rolls.  If you need the recipe, let me know...I have one that's fantastic.  I also have a recipe for Rye Party Puffs.  They're rye puff pastries stuffed with a cream cheese and chopped beef filling (taste better than they sound, I promise!!)  For sweets, I've found Lime Tartlets, the aforementioned Chocolate Mint Brownies and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake to be big hits.  If you need any of the recipes, let me know.  Of course, the BEST thing to do is to mak ea list of your favorite foods and make them in miniature form.  As for tea, I will probably be shot for suggesting this, but the best solution I've found is to not actually brew any tea.  I always boil water and provide a basket filled with an assortment of teas.  This gives everyone a choice and actually produces a lot of conversation, especially if you have a group that's kind of quiet.

If you need any more help, please feel free to ask!  I LOVE tea parties and love helping others plan them even more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justagirl
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005 06:35:43 PM »

I wish I was like you and started planning in advance. My sixteenth is in less then two weeks and I have barely started planning. Oh well.

I have two themes I am debating between.
One is also a tea party. My theme is "Down the Rabbit Hole" (I'm a HUGE Alice in Wonderland fan.)
There are going to be crazy decorations, and mismatched mugs and a Queen of Hearts cake and other cool things.

My other theme is pirates. Just a plain ol' party with music and food, and awesome decorations and everyone has to dress up.

Neither of these ideas are extremly "sweet sixteen" though, because I'm Latina, so last year was my big year.

PS Happy Early Early Early Birthday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
super geek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005 06:50:09 PM »

justagirl: Thank God there's another Latina on here!  I thought I was the only one who is going to have a Quinceanera!  Of course that's a few years off, but I decided early on I wanted to go the Spanish route instead of American.  In that aspect, at least. 

For the party: Lots of flowers in your favorite colors.  I think it would be cool if you got a little flower with a long stem, and attacked it to the napkins.  For foods, vintagechocks ideas are great!  Also, you might want to try some little mouses or something like that.  I think tiny mouses are cool.  Use lacy, drapey tableclothes.  Lots of candles.  Candles make everything better.Also, try chai.  Vanilla chai is my favorite.  I would suggest mostly herbal teas.

The best teas: peppermint, almond desert tea, green tea, lemon zinger, chamomile, sleepytime(yeah, this is sorta weird), and strawberry or strawberry-kiwi. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005 06:12:45 AM »

Wow. Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go ahead with the tea party idea. My mom'll be glad that it won't cost thousands of bucks! Vintage Chick, those desserts sound yummy. I'm going to go eat breakfast... lol. JustAGirl, that pirate idea sounds cool. And the mis-matched mugs thing is exactly what my original thought was... I wanted it to be sort of eclectic. Supergeek, thanks for the tea advice. I've never had any tea... and I'm going to plan a TEA party! I've never had a surprise party yet, elecbunny. I guess I'm too good at figuring stuff out.. and I always have birthday parties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindalee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005 02:26:16 PM »

Does anyone have any good ideas for me?

My daughter is having an '80's alternative music Sweet Sixteen party, and I was trying to think up cool ideas for party favors.  She wants everyone invited to forgo formal dressing up, and instead come dressed as refugees from the '80's!

Aside from burning CD's with '80's music, I'm at a loss for ideas.  Can you talented people help?

Thanks,  Lindalee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fakeiloveyous
Reluctant recovering polka-dot addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005 02:38:11 PM »

for decorations at the 80's party, buy a bunch of album covers and prop them up on tables, or put them on walls. you can probably find them cheap at a used music store or even a thrift shop
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm faking i love yous, you're forcing me to"
lindalee
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005 06:58:48 PM »

Or just bring them in from home!

thanx, Lindalee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jainy
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005 02:51:48 PM »

Watch the 80's prom movies.  16 Candles, Footloose, Pretty in Pink... Decorate like those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Ways to Style Your Midi Skirt
DIY: Make a Slogan T-Shirt
Gwen Stefani Makes the Denim Vest Work for Winter
Is Kim Kardashian Running Out of Clothes?
How to Wear the Military Trend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...