A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: confused and afraid.  (Read 3391 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cmarie14
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010 04:56:23 PM »

I agree 100% about insurance. I make it optional, and I warn people if they refuse insurance that my responsibility ends when the package leaves my hands.

Just remember, you can only do this on Etsy and other sites. It is now against the T&C to do this on Ebay. The seller is responsible for making the choice to insure. Because of this, I add a little extra handling charge in the listing to cover insurance, and advertise as having a insured shipment.

If you are a seller and the item doesn't get to the buyer in the condition they purchased it, the seller is obligated by law to either refund the money the buyer paid or exchange the item.  Ebay won't let you say the "once it leaves my hands line..." because it implies that the burden is on the customer, when it's not.  So it's the seller's responsibility to purchase the insurance if the customer doesn't want to and if the seller wants to protect themselves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamerbabe
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010 08:30:01 AM »

I know this thread is older, but if you're still selling on etsy, you should build the insurance in to the cost of shipping the item. Just tack it on there and let people know that all your items ship with insurance on them. The line about it not being your problem once you ship it is false. Yeah you can put that in your policy but when the customer complains to say PayPal that their item arrived broken due to bad packaging, they're going to get their refund and you'll be out the money. Better to build the insurance into either cost of the item or cost of shipping and call it good Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010 05:46:09 PM »

I know this thread is older, but if you're still selling on etsy, you should build the insurance in to the cost of shipping the item. Just tack it on there and let people know that all your items ship with insurance on them. The line about it not being your problem once you ship it is false. Yeah you can put that in your policy but when the customer complains to say PayPal that their item arrived broken due to bad packaging, they're going to get their refund and you'll be out the money. Better to build the insurance into either cost of the item or cost of shipping and call it good Smiley

I absolutely think this is the best option.  I know that I'd feel nervous buying a breakable item on Etsy anyway, and paying a little extra shipping and knowing it's insured would take care of that.  And definitely issue a full refund AND apology if anything goes wrong, especially if you're just getting started, because you are building a reputation and that buyer WILL tell her friends all about it whether her experience is good or bad.  There is NOTHING more important than customer service in ANY business.  Smiley  (I'm a crafter...and a certified biz coach.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drawing a Cartoon Horse
Drawing a Cartoon Cat
Drawing a Cartoon Dog
Drawing Cartoon Animals
Adding Details and Finishing a Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...