A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Full Size Charm Pack Quilt  (Read 3955 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charaxesdistanti
« on: August 27, 2009 08:36:30 PM »

I really want to try and make a quilt for my bed but I have never done quilting before. I read about charm packs which would be ideal considering I have no room whatsoever to cut my own blocks or even that much time to do it. I was wondering how many charm packs would I need to make a full sized quilt?

I am up to suggestions for other methods of using pre-cut fabric, but I really need it to be affordable. I want to just buy a quilt but there are none that I like and that are usually out of my price range (70-100+$). Thanks for any input or advice.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
rainylakechick
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009 09:05:36 PM »

Charm packs are 5 x 5 inches.  You need to sew each square with a 1/4 inch seam allowance on each side, so the finished square will be 4.5 inches squared. 

In general, these are the dimensions for quilt sizes:

* Twin: 68 x 86"
* Full / Queen: 92 x 88"
* King / Cal. King: 108 x 92"

To know how many charm squares you need, just do the math. 

* Twin: 15 squares x 19 squares --> 285 squares
* Full / Queen: 20 x 20 --> 400 squares
* King / Cal. King: 24 x 20 --> 480 squares

Without any sashing, a full size quilt will require about 400 charm squares. 

Charm packs don't come in specific numbers, but let's select one from fatquartershop.com.  The Spooktacular Charm Pack has 40 squares in the charm pack for $8.50.  You would need 10 charm packs to make the full size quilt.  That's $85 in fabric.

I am up to suggestions for other methods of using pre-cut fabric, but I really need it to be affordable. I want to just buy a quilt but there are none that I like and that are usually out of my price range (70-100+$).

So .... using pre-cut charm packs really isn't in your price range.  I would suggest buying fabric and cutting the fabric yourself!  It has to be cheaper.  Just do the math! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charaxesdistanti
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009 09:22:25 PM »

Thank you for helping. I was trying to figure out the math but I stink at trying to visualize things.

Maybe I will see what scraps, or fabric they have on discount. Maybe I will stick to making baby quilts or lap quilts. Thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
anaximander
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009 09:37:13 PM »

Well, the other thing is, with charm packs it's a lot easier to parcel it out - ie $10 a week, for example, rather than facing the cost all at once. Another thing is to mix the charm packs with a larger amount of plain fabric, focusing the attention on a few of the squares rather than just having a large post office effect. You can pick up broadcloth quite cheaply from places like Joann's, and my mom regularly uses higher-quality muslin for these types of things. Try Modabakeshop.com for lots of charm square inspirations and free patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009 09:16:22 AM »

Another option is to buy a couple of charm packs (Ebay is a great place to find cheapies) and combine them with strips of another fabric.  If you can't cut fabric, then tear it.  It is on grain and just needs ironing to straighten it.  (I know, I know--hard core moderns will be all over me about not using my rotary cutter for strips but I have never mastered getting straight long strips.  Tearing is what works for me! And worked for my highschool home ec teacher. And countless grannies.)
Take your stack of squares and sew one to the strip.  Then put the next one on the same strip and sew it.  Keep going to the end of the strip so that it looks like freaky fringe.  THEN cut them apart.  You can match those up for your top or sew them to strips again.  And again. Until you have blocks the right size for your quilt.  (When you do the strip thing over and over and over, it is called a Log Cabin. Very traditional.) 

Also, an easy template for beginners is a copy of Reader's Digest.  It is a good size and makes a beautiful brick shape.

Good luck.  (I've been quilting for a few years now and today, I am finishing the first one for my own bed!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
rainylakechick
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009 10:34:19 AM »

Thank you for helping. I was trying to figure out the math but I stink at trying to visualize things.

Maybe I will see what scraps, or fabric they have on discount. Maybe I will stick to making baby quilts or lap quilts. Thanks  Grin

No problem!  The other people have great suggestions on using charm packs with yardage of fabric. 

I would also suggest visiting crazymomquilts for other quilt ideas!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

smudgycat
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009 08:25:24 AM »

Thanks for the ideas!!  It gives me a way to keep sewing, even with a newborn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
rainylakechick
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009 07:42:36 AM »

I saw this quilt top this morning in my RSS feeder.  I think its a great way to use charm packs, but save on money.  Pair your charm packs with a solid!  I love this quilt top.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress for the Office During the Summer
5 Best Pea Coats for Winter
How to Know What to Wear Underneath Your Graduation Gown
Dress For the Success You Deserve
Celebrity Stylist Brad Goreski Shares His Holiday Fashion Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...