A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,298
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: time  (Read 492 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twylag
« on: September 07, 2009 05:56:38 PM »

maybe this is a dumb question.
I would love to learn how to quilt.  My one and only quilt project went all-right but it took for ever to do.
I always have a million projects on the go: sewing, embroidery, art, gardening, bookmaking, crochet, knitting, etc .. kind of a "name itr and I want to do it" kind of thing and have two or three projects already mid-way.
Now I know no one can do all the things they want to do, but really, how do you all find the time to do all your stuff?  DO you set aside a certain amount of time every day to do things, even if it means working on them after midnight and sacrificing a few hours sleep every night?
I never really thought of myself as schedule-impaired, but I never seem to make any headway on anything! My one big thing is that I do as little pre-bought, pre-made, pre-assembled as possible (including digital scrapbooking so it usually takes me hours to make just the absolute right background paper - is that normal?)
I get home from work: make supper, clean house, do laundry, dishes, weeding, home care, yard care as is necessary (lately I have been averting my eyes when the lawn comes into view and the garden is over-run with weeds so thats another "if I can't see it, its not there" solution) and by the time I get done all that  I have maybe a half hour to myself and I either spend it reading, worrying about my weight/fitness and trying to exercise, or surfing the web looking at new and cool things that I *just have to do/make*, or sometimes I even use that half hour productively.
My sister says I never relax; well sorry, there's just no bloody time in the day or the week, or whenever.  (lol, sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a rant on my poor time-management)
So am I just plain old slow? 
To all the quilters out there: I figure your projects are the biggest and most time consuming: how the heck do you do it all and where do you find the time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009 08:05:33 PM »

skip the house work and teach the hubby or the kids to cook and clean.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
anaximander
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009 08:45:21 PM »

I'm kind of the same way, but quilting helps relax me. Especially because so much of it can be done *while* I'm watching TV or online or doing my week's readings or whatever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009 08:23:23 PM »

Quilting is not a physical need for most of us so it can be simply enjoyed at whatever pace suits us.  Lap sized quilts are great on the sofa and quick to make.  A simply pattern can easily be finished in a few hours.  I felt inspired and made one for my sister a couple weeks ago to surprise her at her office that is always freezing.  But I also have one that I started a few years ago that I look at every day and consider working on but don't.  It's bigger and has special meaning to me and I just don't really want to finish it.

There are also quilt as you go methods where you can do one section at a time and then whip stitch those sections as you finish them. 

Lots of folks also elect to pay someone else to quilt, back, and bind the patchwork/appliqu.

I guess it just comes down to this:  It's YOUR art, do whatever you want with it. 

For me, it is my therapy.  It is where I can de-stress and there are no real mistakes-only variations and options.  (As long as I am not boozing it up while rotary cutting--ha ha!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
grendelsmom
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009 01:38:10 PM »

I steal the time when I can: sometimes I can sneak in an hour after-work-but-before-dinner, or some time while the kids watch a movie at night, or even early morning if I cannot sleep. 

The others are right: it's your project and you need to do it whichever way you wish. If you're willing to let the house get dustier, by all means do so.  I am starting to make peace with the fact that quilting takes me a long time to complete, and it's leading me to handwork, which I believe I'll find more satisfying in the long run anyhow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
-How to Create a Sequence in Premiere Pro CS4
How to Straighten Your Photos in Photoshop CS4
Learn about 3D Computer Art Museum
Learn about 3D Computer Architecture
How to Use the Patch Tool in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...