A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,205
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Umbilical Cord baby Hat  (Read 12658 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2004 08:00:19 PM »

hey all, i just finished ye olde baby hat and wanted to post how frickin cute it turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
Goddess
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004 09:01:02 PM »

awwwwww! that is soooo cute Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004 09:36:02 PM »

That hat is darling!  

And, you have a Sunbonnet Sue quilt!

Double Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
plutoniumchic
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004 10:19:10 AM »

Is the speckle effect from the yarn or did you do something fancy?  Either way, would you mind divulging what you did?  My sister is pregnant and wants a "strawberry" hat, so your modification would be perfect.

It looks fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004 11:42:54 AM »

pluto-

i just followed the instructions for the baby hat as written in the book!  Easy Peasy... the yarn i bought was bright pink with these little light pink pom poms built right in!

then, when it came time to put the crown on the double pointed needles, i just changed the color to that sherbet chenille.

that's it!

i'm definitely making another one.  i bought 2 skeins of yarn for this project and could easily make another 2 hats at least.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004 12:33:17 PM »

It's pretty easy to make a strawberry pattern on a hat.

Just carry along a contrasting color of yarn (green, yellow, and black are all very strawberry seed-ish) in one row every inch or so, and knit one stitch in the CC every inch or so (e.g. every 8th stitch)  Make sure alternating rows with seeds start the seeds in different places so they don't all line up and you get a pattern that is something like this
------V------V------V------
-----------------------------
---V------V------V------V--
-----------------------------
------V------V------V------
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004 12:38:19 PM by melidomi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tavandeb
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004 01:53:20 PM »

Your hat DID turn out frickin' cute!  That one kind of looks like a stawberry already.

Question--when I started this hat last night (first time using circular needles), I found that about 1" down the knits twist once on themselves (more that just curling because it is stockinette stitch, but actually like making a loop, if that makes sense?).  I tried to avoid "twisting the stitches" like the directions say and don't know what happened...  Does anyone know if this can be repaired when I change to dpns or if I should just start over?!  
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
impossiblecalm
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004 06:02:58 AM »

Your hat DID turn out frickin' cute!  That one kind of looks like a stawberry already.

Question--when I started this hat last night (first time using circular needles), I found that about 1" down the knits twist once on themselves (more that just curling because it is stockinette stitch, but actually like making a loop, if that makes sense?).  I tried to avoid "twisting the stitches" like the directions say and don't know what happened...  Does anyone know if this can be repaired when I change to dpns or if I should just start over?!  
Thanks!
if you had twisted the stitches, you'd end up with a moebius strip, something with only one surface.  if that's really what you did you have to start over. to avoid twisting the stitches when you join in the round, lay your work on a table and make sure that all of the cast on stitches are pointing inward
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004 10:37:06 AM »

Thanks!

i'm guessing that although it looks all loopy and twisted, it's probably not?  can you post a pic so we can see what's a-going on???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tavandeb
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004 06:27:57 PM »

Yeah, I had twisted the stitches like a dummy and, since they were all connected in a circle I couldn't untwist them without starting the whole thing over.  Boo hoo.  The good thing is that it is a small project and, after getting my yarn unknotted, I was able to knit one up the next day!  I was so very happy at having made something hat-like, even though I don't have a baby to put it on--does anyone have a spare?!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004 12:27:24 AM by tavandeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect Fried Egg in a Cast Iron Skillet
Deion Sanders Makes Chicken and Dumplings
How to Make Forest Floor Roasted Pears with Burrata and Basil
Slow-Cooked Jambalaya Recipe
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe for the Big Game
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...