A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,589
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make-up bag 10 years in the making  (Read 854 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mollytwin1
goddess of the needles

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 08, 2009 10:59:30 AM »

About 10, maybe even 11, years ago (when I was still in high school) my best friend and I picked up a free pattern flyer from Michael's for a crocheted purse.  I decided on brown and pink for mine, she chose brown and blue.  We sat around many days during the summer crocheting up the squares, then school started back up and we both stopped working on it.

Flash forward 5 years.  I am now in college and come across the random brown and pink squares.  They don't even make the same color brown yarn anymore, nor do I desire to have it as a purse now anyway.  I don't want to throw them away though, so I crochet them together, add to solid brown single crocheted sides, and figure it can be a make-up bag instead.  All I needed was a vinyl lining and a top.

Flash forward 4 years.  I have now graduated college and have moved to a new place.  I stumble across the half finished make-up bag and toss it into a "to-do" craft box I have.

Flash forward 1 year.  I am forcing myself to get serious about finishing all my half-completed projects so I figure I should start with the make-up bag.  I had some clear vinyl left over from another project, so I sew up a lining and attach it.  I ran to Hobby Lobby, picked up a brown zipper, crocheted a top for the bag, then attached the zipper.

Finally, the bag is complete!!  This isn't my best work (nor my greatest camera work) but I am happy to be able to mark it off the list!

The outside utilizing the squares from the free flyer

The zipper top

The interior

I wish I had some non-transparent vinyl for the interior, but I wasn't spending more money on this project than need be.  And it is kind of cool being able to see the back of the squares I guess.  I have no use for a make-up bag for I already have one, but I am hoping one day I can actually find a use for this.  But at least it is done!!

Thanks for looking and reading my rambling jibberish  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oldlagunalighting
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009 11:37:43 AM »

As a dude, I don't have much use for a make-up bag. But I do like the colors and pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty_jey
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009 12:04:41 PM »

It's really cute and the pattern is lovely. It always feels great to finish those long standing works in process. :0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Above all, try something.
HippiePunk

Oooh...shiny pretty objects!

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009 02:09:27 PM »

That's a pretty sweet pattern and with the color scheme it kind of reminds me of a tudor style house. In a totally good way of course. I bet it's worth the wait.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We live in a rainbow of chaos
MiLady
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009 02:49:50 PM »

Wow, I love this patterning, any chance of posting the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
mollytwin1
goddess of the needles

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009 04:18:32 PM »

That's a pretty sweet pattern and with the color scheme it kind of reminds me of a tudor style house. In a totally good way of course. I bet it's worth the wait.

It reminds me of a Tudor house as well!
Wow, I love this patterning, any chance of posting the pattern?

Took some digging but I found the original leaflet so I will post the pattern for the squares.  Mind you they can be done much better looking than mine, I had just started crocheting when I made the squares.  The instructions call for 2 colors which I will type as CA and CB in the pattern.

Red Heart "soft" worsted weight yarn

Crochet hooks: U.S. sizes H-8[5mm] and G-6[4mm]

Gauge: Square = 2 5/8" across with larger hook

Rnd 1: With larger hook and CA, ch 2; sc in 2nd ch from hook, [ch 10, 2 sc in same ch] 3 times, ch 10, sc in same ch changing to CB; join with a sl st to first sc.

Rnd 2: with CB, ch 1, holding the ch-10 loops towards you, sc in same sc as joining, ch 2, [sc in next 2 sc, ch 2] 3 times, sc in last sc; join to first sc.

Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in same sc as joining; *(sc, ch 2, sc) all in next ch-2 space -corner made**; sc in next 2 sc; rep from * around, end at **; sc in last sc; join.

Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same sc as joining and next sc, *work corner**, sc in next 4 sc; rep from * around, end at **; sc in last 2 sc changing to CA in last sc; join.

Rnd 5: with CA, ch 1, sc in first 3 sc, *hold ch 10 loop over ch-2 space and work corner through both layers at once**, sc in next 6 sc; rep from * around, end at **; sc in last 3 sc; join.  Fasten off. Weave in ends.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MiLady
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009 02:19:17 AM »

thankyou so muh, I will be trying these, they'll be added to my ever growing list of "to make in order to destash my wool collection so that I can buy lots more wool"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009 03:18:37 AM »

So cute! I am glad you were able to finish it and mark it off the to do list. I need to work on my list too  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe CS3 Print Workflow - How to Add Spot Color
How to Use Photoshop for Print
How to Make Mock Mouse Over Behaviors in Adobe Photoshop
How to Design the Inside Pages in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Footer in Adobe Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...