A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me with my pattern, PLEASE! Winsome Cardigan, Knitscene Spring 2009  (Read 314 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2009 07:49:26 AM »

Hi, my name is Beth, and I need help.  This is my very first adult sized garment, and everything was going well until I got to shaping the cap of the first sleeve.  It's a cardigan with raglan sleeves, I've got the fronts and the back done, but the shaping for the sleeve does seem to make sense.  If you have this magazine and you can just look, that would be awesome, if not, I'll relay the directions here.  But basically the sleeve cap decreases to 18 stitches, the instead of binding them off all at once the directions say to bind of 6 in the first row, then 7 the next row the 5 the last row, so the result is a sleeve with a weird tab on the top.  So I did this, but can't figure out what the hell the tab is for, it doesn't line up with the top of the front or back and after I attach the sleeves I'm supposed to pick up stitches around the entire top to knit the neckband.  Anyone have any ideas?  I already checked for errata and there was none.  I'm thinking just frog it and bind off all 18 stitches in the same row. 

Seriously any ideas would be so much appreciated!.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009 11:15:56 AM »

I don't have the magazine but I looked up photos of the finished garment and I think the idea is to have a bit more length in the center of the cap to make it sit on the shoulder better. The stair step from the bind offs will be smoothed out when you pick up for the neck.

I think I'd short row that shaping and bind off in one step to smooth it out before I got to the picking up stage. So on the last row before the bind off instruction I'd work to 6sts from the end, turn, work to 7 sts from the end, turn, then work to the end, turn and bind off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009 09:52:42 AM »

OMG, I love you!  Thank you sooo much.  That makes perfect sense now that you say it, and you're right about the short rows, I'll do that.  Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009 10:49:53 AM »

Glad I could help.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Dazzling Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
Hummingbird Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
How to Make Crunchy and Sweet Honey-Hazelnut Treats
Sparkling Cranberries
Perfect Pie Crust
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...