A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $ Store Dead Fairy Halloween decorations (with pics)  (Read 10446 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween , fairy , dollar_store , skeleton  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

varifiresis
« on: September 07, 2009 11:40:30 PM »

I have always loved fairies and over the years had collected quite a few of them. One of my favorites is a fairy ornament that is displayed under a glass cover that looks like we managed to trap her there. So last year when I was taking down our every day display items to get out the Halloween decorations I had a brainstorm and decided to replace the everyday fairy with a Halloween counterpart.

My Dead Fairy was made using just a few things I had picked up from the dollar store:

A Skeleton Garland (4 Skeletons per package)

and black silk roses (3 to a stem)

First I cut the roses off of the wire stems and took each layer of petals off (these roses had dew drops glued on to highlight the petals but they peel off very easily)

giving me 3 sizes of petals.

After playing around with all three sizes I found I liked the smallest piece best- then used a few dots of hot glue to help fashion the petals into the fairy wings by gathering the center a bit

This was actually much trickier than it seemed because I wanted the bottom two wings to be smaller and thinner than the top set as well as to have a slight fold to give the wings more shape. I just played around with them until I was happy with them.

Then I removed one skeleton (they are only tied very loosely with twine to form the garland) and used a bit more hot glue to secure the wings to the middle of the back (don't use more than a tiny drop of hot glue because your excess will turn almost white on the black of the petals and be very noticeable)

Front view

To "hang" the fairy I used a length of the twine that came as the "garland" and tied a small hangman's noose. I think that the pictures are not nearly as cool as these guys are in real life. Although I made only one for that specific display last year I have decided to make a few more to put all around the house because one bunch of roses gives you 9 petals and buying 2 strings of garland and I can make 8 for a total cost of $3. I am also thinking of putting one in one of the jars my son catches his tree frogs and walking sticks in (with a stick and a leaf) so it looks like it was caught outside and did not fare well in captivity.
 *****I am really impressed with all the suggestions and comments! If you make your own fairies I would love to see some of the photos of changes, improvements or how you are displaying them!!!! Thanks to Craftsters you all  ROCK!!!!!*****

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009 07:15:11 PM by varifiresis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bakesaurus
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009 11:53:18 PM »

I saw that garland somewhere. Soooooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
varifiresis
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009 12:00:13 AM »

This garland came from Dollar Tree but I also saw the exact same one at another dollar store chain so I think they are easy to find. The roses are from Dollar Tree from last year and I am having the worst time trying to find more this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdollpirate
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009 01:07:25 AM »

I bought both of these about three weeks ago to make Halloween stuff out of one of the things I was going to try was a fairy but it was going to be taken apart lol. That is awesome!

I love what you did they look so cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." ~Veronica Mars
ragdollpiratedesigns.etsy.com
Cobaltcat

Vegetarian Crafter!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009 03:35:10 AM »

great idea! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009 05:27:05 AM »

ha!  brilliant Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
Veni.vidi.vici.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009 07:31:31 AM »

those are awesome!!! I think they would look cool if you added red gem stones to the eyes and maybe glitter to the wings. I like sparkles lol.

Vidi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009 08:27:24 AM »

That's a great idea!  Thanks so much for sharing!  I think I might have a twist on it that will help me accomplish a project I was stuck on.  YEY VERIFIRESIS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roccstarr75
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009 08:37:16 AM »

This garland came from Dollar Tree but I also saw the exact same one at another dollar store chain so I think they are easy to find. The roses are from Dollar Tree from last year and I am having the worst time trying to find more this year.

For a variation you could try usig skeletonized leaves for the wings.  Not all fairies have the same kind of wings, right?  Anyways, I think it would look cool, plus might be easier to find, I see them in all the craft/scrapbooking stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
varifiresis
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009 09:51:10 AM »

Oooohhh! I like the leaf idea for the wings, I have been trying to think of other ways to make the wings but haven't been happy with any of the ones I have tried so far.I keep finding places to put them (hanging from my rearview mirror for starters) and the more I make the more I want to try to make them each unique. Thanks for the idea!!! 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009 09:57:20 AM by varifiresis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Vicky
How to Draw Velma
How to Draw Vegeta
How to Draw Vaporeon
How to Draw Tyson Granger
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...