I have always loved fairies and over the years had collected quite a few of them. One of my favorites is a fairy ornament that is displayed under a glass cover that looks like we managed to trap her there. So last year when I was taking down our every day display items to get out the Halloween decorations I had a brainstorm and decided to replace the everyday fairy with a Halloween counterpart.
My Dead Fairy was made using just a few things I had picked up from the dollar store:
A Skeleton Garland (4 Skeletons per package)
and black silk roses (3 to a stem)
First I cut the roses off of the wire stems and took each layer of petals off (these roses had dew drops glued on to highlight the petals but they peel off very easily)
giving me 3 sizes of petals.
After playing around with all three sizes I found I liked the smallest piece best- then used a few dots of hot glue to help fashion the petals into the fairy wings by gathering the center a bit
This was actually much trickier than it seemed because I wanted the bottom two wings to be smaller and thinner than the top set as well as to have a slight fold to give the wings more shape. I just played around with them until I was happy with them.
Then I removed one skeleton (they are only tied very loosely with twine to form the garland) and used a bit more hot glue to secure the wings to the middle of the back (don't use more than a tiny drop of hot glue because your excess will turn almost white on the black of the petals and be very noticeable)
To "hang" the fairy I used a length of the twine that came as the "garland" and tied a small hangman's noose. I think that the pictures are not nearly as cool as these guys are in real life. Although I made only one for that specific display last year I have decided to make a few more to put all around the house because one bunch of roses gives you 9 petals and buying 2 strings of garland and I can make 8 for a total cost of $3. I am also thinking of putting one in one of the jars my son catches his tree frogs and walking sticks in (with a stick and a leaf) so it looks like it was caught outside and did not fare well in captivity.
*****I am really impressed with all the suggestions and comments! If you make your own fairies I would love to see some of the photos of changes, improvements or how you are displaying them!!!! Thanks to Craftsters you all ROCK!!!!!*****