A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,556
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felted goodness! Seaweed scarf, bunting and balls...  (Read 2075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallyb
« on: August 09, 2009 12:49:32 AM »

I've done a bit of felting over the past month or so, but have been too busy to really get my teeth into anything - until today! 

I got my hands on a new magazine - "Felt" - available in Australia by the same people who do "Yarn", and it had a great project in it for making a seaweed scarf.  I loved the look of it and couldn't wait to give it a try!

Here is the results after just 2 hours of felting...

It's made from gorgeous merino fleece from Fibreworks (I'm lucky enough to live close by!) and is actually a rectangular grid - I had to fold it over in the middle to fit it into the frame for a photo!

But why is it called a seaweed scarf I hear you ask?  Here's an action shot that may be helpful:

I just love the colour!  I'll be near Fibreworks again next weekend so I'll drop in and pick up some more of this beautiful colourway!

I also felt like doing some experimenting a few weeks ago and decided to make a bunting for my new bub, who is due in December.  I'd love to felt heaps of stuff for him/her, but being a summer baby in Australia, felted bits and pieces would probably not be such a good idea until next winter!  With this bunting, I was mucking around with layering different colours together and using bits and pieces of yarn and stuff mixed in with the fleece.  Again, it's pretty much all Fibreworks merino fleece:

I sewed some bias binding across the top so we could tie it up when we get the nursery organised.

And then I'm doing some felting with some of the kids I teach at school and put together some felted balls to show them:

I love that these are so easy to make and the kids love them!  I'm also teaching a Science class how to make them as their teacher saw them and thought they'd be great for the kids to make into solar systems!  How cool is that?  Two nerdy things coming together...

Thanks for looking guys - c & c welcome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009 01:32:08 AM »

Scarf is gorgeous!  The colours are lovely!

I'm trying to work it out... Do you roughly make pre-felt strands & then felt them together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
sallyb
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009 01:42:23 AM »

Thanks trekky!

There is no prefelt - it's just lengths of roving that began at about 2.5cm wide (is that about an inch???  I think so...).  They are just laid out in the grid pattern, then wetted down, felted and fulled.  Really quite easy-peasy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

northstephens
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009 02:38:57 AM »

Wow love that scarf! Will have to try that myself .. I have a load of roving left from something else and could die it mad colours... hmmm     :-)

I love the fact that you teach the kids at school, thats really cool. I wish I had had a teacher like you lol! My mum works with kids that have very poor motor skills, most of the kids are really disabled, and the school is especially set up for them. Mum has to be so careful what she brings in to do with them, but she is thinking of getting them to do tiny bits of flat wet felting to help with their movement skills. Then I can take all their little squares and sew them together into a blanket which they can curl up in for when they have to sleep. Just thought I'd share lol. Its really nice to know that children are learning crafts and skills that seem to be forgotton in regular curriculums... Go you!

And the bunting is really sweet, and a wicked idea for your baby! Good luck with the pregnancy - I'm sure your child will be born into a world of beautiful crafts lol! xxxxxxxxxxxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallyb
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009 03:03:28 AM »

hahaha!  Thanks northstephens!

I did small pieces of flat felt with another class last semester and it went really well - they loved it.  However this semester I don't have any double periods with my new textiles class, so we had to do some felting that could be done in a single period, hence the balls this time.  It's such a blast to see the kids trying something new and getting a kick out of it.  I did some felted balls with some kids last week and one girl was going to go home and try it with unprocessed fleece, as sheep were being shorn at her house that weekend.  I have no idea if it will work, but at least the class made an impression!

Give the scarf a go - it was really so easy!  Just make sure the fibres are properly felted together before fulling - good luck!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009 02:24:30 PM by sallyb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009 10:56:22 AM »

Thank you!  I must put it on my list 'to-do'!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
laundry lady
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009 06:28:13 AM »

your scarf is a fabulous  colour like th felted balls as well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Molliemoo2883
Personal Swap: anyone need bottle caps?

Easily distracted since 1983!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009 04:45:13 PM »

I totally just tried to make one of these. Its harder then it looks. Its still drying so we will see how it looks but I think yours is just amazing.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we could live without passion, maybe we would know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow inside. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank, without passion we would be truly dead"~Buffy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Candied Almonds and Cashews
Apple Tarte Tatin Recipe
Quick and Easy Grilled Watermelon Sundae Recipe
Spiced Pear and Blackberry Eton Mess Recipe
How to Make Ice Pops
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...