A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing "accidents"  (Read 3572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gamergirL337
« on: September 07, 2009 07:56:04 PM »

I don't know if im supposed to post this here but being a craft site, and knowing that sewing comes with its pointy objects...i know we have all had our share of "accidents" while sewing...from finger pricks to needles through fingers and everything inbetween...whats been your worst, or most memorable sewing related "accident"

I myself, have had to deal with a bunch of finger pricks but have never done anything REALLY bad, but when i was in Home EC in school, we were making lounge pants on sewing machines and one girl somehow got the needle all the way through her finger...she never really cried but she was in utter shock and disbelief...she brought back the xray's and it was just crazy as can be to see that needle all the way through her finger...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PeanutPaterooski
Stitch B!@#$

To thine own self be true.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009 02:08:44 AM »

Thursday night i was cutting quilt  blocks and cut off about 1/2" from the tip of my thumb, right thru the nail and all. Had to go to the ER.

Rotary cutter.....evil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you wait to be happy to do happy things, you'll be waiting to be happy forever.
Fight corporation. DIYDS. Make and wear clothes
you made yourself with pride, and win against recession, and more! PM me for details.

Wanna trade some sewing notions/fabric for scrapbooking/stamps? PM me.
jude3944
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009 01:50:04 PM »

OUCH!!! I can relate to that. About 5 years ago I cut off the side of my left index finger.I looked at the TV when someone screamed just as I cut!!! Just like you off to er stitches right through my finernail.. Those things are so sharp.. Hope you heal well and the pain isn't to bad... Jude
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009 02:24:05 PM »

there's a whole thread of gruesome stories called "crafty but stupid, your craft related injuries here"

I personally just recently ran my finger over with the sewing machine. i was the only one not totally freaked out by it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
nonesuch
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009 03:11:45 PM »

This happened at work.

The boss was moving racks of pinned dresses.  In a truly freak accident, a long common pin poked out through a garment bag, through a fleshy part of her finger, and back into the bag and dress.

We had to call an ambulance.  The first responders cut away the garment bag, found the head of the pin, (carefully, and not near quick enough for our nerves) and pulled it back out. 

Surprisingly, though it took  30 or 40 minutes from beginning to end, there were just two tiny spots of blood on the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDIYninja

I'm the weird mom all the soccer moms look at

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009 04:17:35 PM »

my big fat butt slid my scissor snips off the desk and it went right into a vein on my foot. Didnt really HURT, pre say.. but it bled an awful lot, which sent my middle daughter into absolute hysterics Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it comes without cussing.. it's not worth doing... at least thats what I &*^%ing say!

http://thediyninja.blogspot.com
My Twitter
donniesgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009 08:01:57 PM »

I haven't had anything terrible.  I've stepped on a pin & had it lodge in my heel, but I pulled it out & didn't go to the ER or anything.  I've had worse accidents cooking.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009 08:10:24 PM »

After watching me sew my husband is shocked I haven't had any accidents so far (he swears one day he's gonna have to try to explain how I serged my hand to his boss  Shocked) .  But when I used to do cross stitch, I was using a pocket knife one day because I couldn't find my scissors, while I wasn't paying attention the knife slipped between the cushions with the sharp end pointing out, when I shifted my position I felt something odd about my leg, looked down and saw a knife sticking in my muscle.  It didn't hurt, I didn't need any stitches, it barely bled and I slapped a band aid over it, for years I could find the scar because it felt like a small hole in my muscle.  That's my adventure of blood in crafting  lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LittleMissMoonshine

"I am a werecow MOOO-OOO"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009 01:46:54 AM »

I've had plenty of needles through my foot. Never to the emergency room. I slit my finger and side of my hand open with the rotery cutter. I bruised my thigh so bad by running into my sewing desk that I had a fist sized divite where the bruise was. It took 4 years to get my leg somewhat back to normal.

I burned my roomates chair with my fabric iron. OOPS (it was a wreck anyway). I've gotten paint over everything and everyone.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more esp. with my new craft room in the works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think Ive lerked too long... 4 years is a long time right?

Walt Disney World for the 6th time in less then 3 weeks!!!

http://needleinfoot.blogspot.com
sewnutzz
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009 08:04:41 PM »

My dog ate a double pointed machine needle.  I have no idea where it came from, but the vet thought his coughing was due to irritation due to the needle.  It was passing, the radiographer vet said to watch it, but the more alarming problem was a grapefruit sized tumor on his spleen...the reason for the xray being done (the vet palpated the tumor but wanted a better look).  My dog was so sick from that, and it could rupture and he would bleed out in great pain, and he was unlikely to survive the surgery due to his age and the anemia he was experiencing from the tumor, that I had to make the final decision to ease him from this life.  He would have survived the double needle, but not the tumor. 

Lesson is to keep dogs (and cats) out of the sewing room!

Anne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw an Easy Spider
New Bedroom Entrance Day 5
Drybrushing Techniques
Painting Texture and Detail with Fabric Brushes
Painting Stroke Work
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...