A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halloween costume prizes  (Read 2679 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cheebs

Too busy wisting to be resting...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 07, 2009 06:28:42 PM »

I figured this would be the best place to ask this question.  I am playing around with the idea of making prizes this year for our costume contest at our Halloween party.  Usually we just put together a silly thing from the dollar store or goodwill but I figured we should step it up since we will probably have more people and hopefully more creativity since for 2 years in a row, we've given prices that people are still displaying in their homes.

So our categories are Best, Scariest, Sexiest and Funniest. 

Prices I've already thought up are a zombie sock monkey for Best, eyeball monster wreath for Sexiest and a velvet blood pool pillow for Scariest.  I can't come up with anything for Funniest.  At first I was going to do the blood pool pillow for Funniest but the bf is not going for it. 

The skills are pretty scattered between knitting (so far a scarf or two), sewing (almost intermediate there), some painting, jewelry making, shrinky-dinks, things along those lines.  No crocheting or metal working.  Plus I have less than 2 months, along with making two props and my own costume and possibly the boy's to keep in mind.

Thanks for any help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

varifiresis
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009 11:29:50 AM »

For some reason the first thing I thought of was one of those arrow through the head -headband thing painted gold on a stand or something like a trophy. You could also paint a joy buzzer gold to glue on or really any cheap cliche joke items. Or you could sew a cover for a whoopie cushion that says  "Funniest Costume 2009" on it. Those are just off the top of my head I will keep thinking and post again if I come up with any better ideas.

Please make sure to post the zombie sock monkey when you make it, it sounds like a great project! Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheebs

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009 02:06:09 PM »

Thank you for the ideas.  The bf is starting to scrap my idea of doing crafts though, thinking our friends won't appreciate them.  So the idea is still up in the air.

I made a zombie sock monkey for the Zombie swap from last year.

I will probably do something along the same lines, maybe less girly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

varifiresis
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009 09:05:36 PM »

Your sock monkey is awesome! Don't let the BF discourage you -my husband is always less than impressed with my crafts too, but lots of our friends have enjoyed my stuff even if his friends didn't as much. I make stuff to keep ME happy anyway and give away stuff to make room for my next projects so if you are the same you should do it anyway.(I always love showing my project post view stats and comments to my husband to show that many people do appreciate my projects!) Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orkibe3
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009 09:09:50 PM »

I love that sock monkey!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheebs

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009 12:34:30 PM »

Oh but he is impressed with my projects.  He just doesn't want me to take all that time to make these things and then have our friends not appreciate them as much as other crafty people would.  He also had to deal with me all last year when I did 14 swaps and would end up screaming the night before how I still have half the package to finish.  He likes to prevent those kind of outbreaks as much as possible  Wink

Thanks for the compliments.  Its one of my favorite projects out of last year's swap madness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eukarya
Freelance Artist and Maker of Crafty Things

Crazy loves me!

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009 12:52:04 PM »

How about a Zombie survival kit/shadowbox?

Like this:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=237984.msg2612527;topicseen#msg2612527
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheebs

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009 05:11:55 PM »

Funny thing is that's going to be one of my props to have around the apartment for the party.  We are planning on doing a bigger one, with a few more things in it that are related to the video game Left 4 Dead.  Some of friends are fans of the game.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheebs

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009 04:35:50 PM »

Well I just sewed up a blood pillow for the scariest costume.  Planning on getting more stuffing to do the other things. 

We bought a whoopie cushion at 5 Below so now I guess a cover for that?  Just feel its interesting that I will be making 3 stuffed things and yet can't figure out what to do for the funniest besides a whoopie cushion cover.

Hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rembrandt Lighting in Photoshop
More Hair Stuff for Photoshop
Selectively Colorize an Image Part 2
Digital Makeup - Lenoir Lashes - Part 2
Macho Makeover - Introduction Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...