A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Backstrap Weaving In Progress  (Read 1496 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

francorios
« on: July 19, 2009 05:02:54 PM »

Okay, I had a false start a couple of days ago. I warped up the loom, for a 16 inch wide by 24 inch long towel using Peaches & Creme white for most of the warp/weft and Sugar & Creme variegated black/white for borders. I adjusted my craft frame and tied the loom bars 24 inch apart. I continuous warped the loom bars. My camera ate the pictures of what happened next.

I tied edge cords onto both ends of the warp so I could get a nice finished edge (selvedge) to the piece. Then I moved the loom bars so I could lash the edge cords to the loom bar, I set a couple of dowels into the warp to hold the crossing of the warp threads (cross). This held up for while and I was able to get myself ready to weave by sitting on the couch with the other end of the loom tied to a bolt attached under a counter top.

As I tried to arrange my sticks, I learned that I had crossed a few warps. Bummer. And my edge cord had missed a few warps also. Bummer.

Then I tipped the loom sideways and the cross sticks fell out. Bummer. I tried to use a pickup stick to recover the warp cross. Very slow going and not very successful. I was extremely grumpy about this turn of events. If I lived in a more primitive setting, I would have gone out and shot a buffalo.

I untied the whole thing and started over. Ahhhh! Much better. I found that double checking every warp and cross doesn't take time, it saves time. Rubber bands are a fast way to tie up the ends of leash sticks to hold a cross. Tying a safety string across heddle and shed sticks also saves time.

Here I am on the second try. I saw pictures of people sitting on the floor with their backstrap looms and so I though I would try it. It's not bad. I need more cushion for sitting. Also need a cushion under my knees to put a little bit of flex in my knees to keep from hyper extending the knee joint. Otherwise it's not bad. I had joked about my legs being too short for my feet to hold the far end of the loom, 30 inch long trouser leg, and it turns out it is not a problem when weaving a 24 inch towel!

Here is a picture of the string heddle in action, holding up a set of warp for the shed stick to go under.

Here is the really cool part. You can put your shuttle stick on top of your work in progress, start rolling from the loom bar until you get to the far loom bar and you now ready for transport! Most of the loom parts are 18 inch long, the heddle stick is 24 inch long, but still easy to pack and move. I can cut down that heddle stick.

I'm halfway done with the towel and I'll probably be done tomorrow. More pictures then.

Have a good day!  

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011 03:45:15 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009 04:23:08 AM »

Can't wait to see the finished towel!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
francorios
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009 10:08:33 AM »

Here we go, completed dishtowel!

Have a good day!
Franco Rios
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Leehyori
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009 12:00:30 AM »

great work Grin
simulation taux banque credit immobilier de France - Credit immobilier de France, simulation credit immobilier. Résultat mitigé pour le crédit immobilier de France.simulation taux banque credit immobilier de France               
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ann Marie12
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009 12:25:38 PM »

Wow, a lot of work goes in to it.  Nice job - it makes you appreciate the store bought ones (saves time). 

Reverse Phone Lookup
THIS ROCKS   Logged
francorios
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009 08:42:27 PM »

Well, I can't weave a terry cloth towel, but I know I can't buy a towel like the ones I weave. Smiley

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creativity in the Kitchen: How to Make Homemade Soap
How to Make Homemade Soap
Turning Tube Socks Into Heating Pads with Jessie Jane
How to Make a Magnetic Chalkboard
How to Make a Neon Plexi-Glass Peg Board
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...